Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Thank You Howard!

Add topic

Re: Thank You Howard!

Thank You Howard!

Gracias señor Howard  ;D

Thank you for teaching me the game of football. I knew nothing about football when I started at FAU and having a program like ours starting from scratch made me realize how lucky I was to get to know the game with the creation of our program. I graduated in 2006 and football keeps me attached to the school.
Now I have the stadium excuse to continue visiting FAU.
Thank you sir for your vision and determination and thank you to all involved on keeping this program growing.

GO OWLS
Back to the top

I agree…I think with the frustration the last few weeks with our team's performance some perspective has been lost on the younger fans…they will remember the HS years as the couple with the old coach before we really started winning but as some of you have already said, I remember sitting in the cafe in 99 when an old man with a pipe walked in carrying this stump with a rope nailed to it walks in, slams it on the floor and demaned to be heard. He was there to tell us all about the football team he was creating and how much he needed our support and most people rolled their eyes.

Howard was given practically nothing to make this work…he's been operating on a shoestring budget from day one. The one man who deserves to have an ego that would stop him from going to Chamber and Rotary meetings EVERY week to shake hands and round up fans was the same guy that did it every week!

I brought an old football fan to a game at lockhart in 2005 and Howard was making his rounds to the early tailgaters at the stadium, he drove up in his cart, got out, rallied the troops and told us to get our asses inside when the game started… a totally normal event back then. My buddy turns to me after he drives off and says "do you realize that is one of the greatest football coaches of all time you just had hanging out at your tailgate. I can't believe he's that accessible!" And I'm not special, he did that for everyone.

Howard knew that the only way he would find success was through grassroots and he wasn't too big to do it. He deserves every accolade we shower him with this week because there isn't another person in America that could have done what he's done with what he was given.

So Thank You Howard, for all that you have done for my school. You've made it easy to be proud to be an Owl fan. Never once have I had to go in to work expecting people in the office to rip me about another scandal or some illegal activity. You've done it every year with class and though wins and losses are important, it doesn't make the program and what you have created is something to be proud of.
Back to the top

Thank you Coach S for making this dream come true for all us and sticking through both the good and bad.
You have been a great mentor, advocate and coach for FAU.

Hope that statue of Coach S. leads everyone to " Howard's Field" !!

Do we have a nickname for our stadium yet ?
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

I agree…I think with the frustration the last few weeks with our team's performance some perspective has been lost on the younger fans…they will remember the HS years as the couple with the old coach before we really started winning but as some of you have already said, I remember sitting in the cafe in 99 when an old man with a pipe walked in carrying this stump with a rope nailed to it walks in, slams it on the floor and demaned to be heard. He was there to tell us all about the football team he was creating and how much he needed our support and most people rolled their eyes.

Howard was given practically nothing to make this work…he's been operating on a shoestring budget from day one. The one man who deserves to have an ego that would stop him from going to Chamber and Rotary meetings EVERY week to shake hands and round up fans was the same guy that did it every week!

I brought an old football fan to a game at lockhart in 2005 and Howard was making his rounds to the early tailgaters at the stadium, he drove up in his cart, got out, rallied the troops and told us to get our asses inside when the game started… a totally normal event back then. My buddy turns to me after he drives off and says "do you realize that is one of the greatest football coaches of all time you just had hanging out at your tailgate. I can't believe he's that accessible!" And I'm not special, he did that for everyone.

Howard knew that the only way he would find success was through grassroots and he wasn't too big to do it. He deserves every accolade we shower him with this week because there isn't another person in America that could have done what he's done with what he was given.

So Thank You Howard, for all that you have done for my school. You've made it easy to be proud to be an Owl fan. Never once have I had to go in to work expecting people in the office to rip me about another scandal or some illegal activity. You've done it every year with class and though wins and losses are important, it doesn't make the program and what you have created is something to be proud of.
Wow, that sums up my sentiment in one post.  That should be written under his statue.  Very well said.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Awesome…. Well said….I remember those HS drivebys….

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Thank you coach for everything you have done for us as fans and FAU as a program.  They have already been listed but your accomplishments over the past decade have been something to proud of and we couldn't have had a better person in charge.  The last few weeks have been tough and we have all done some grumbling, but you've heard it all before, and speaking for myself, I'll stand behind you any day.  Without your dedication and tenacity, we would have nothing.  The fact that you've been involved in football for so long helps to bring generations of football fans together over FAU games.  I can talk about your accomplishments at FAU with my stepfather, and he can talk about your games at Miami, Louisville and all the others.  I will always remember your "pep" speeches in the old cafeteria and the breezeway, just you and "the voice".

I am looking forward to our first game in "The House that Howard Built".

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Many thanks from me, Coach Schnellenberger, for never losing sight of the dream and seeing the stadium through.  For the memories of the 2003 playoff run, the big season in 2004 and the two Bowl wins that followed in record time for a D-I startup.  And, for building a solid foundation for the next man to build on, just as you did in Miami and Louisville before.  Enjoy the coming years and watching the growth of your "child" in Boca Raton. :-)
Back to the top

Thank You Howard for the beautiful stadium and the program you created!

I too remember the old stump days right before I graduated. I was excited my alma mater was getting football but never really knew what to expect…"hey at least we have football now", how soon we took off and doing so well in div 2, only to move up quickly with the same success.

In these present times with some loses under the belt, we forget to sit back and look back at the things you and the football program have actually accomplished in our short existence. For this I thank you and forever hope you will remain a part of the FAU community, because it will forever be the house you built!!!!

Onwards & upwards…. GO OWLS!!!!
Back to the top

What a Great legacy. I have watched you since the 72 Super Bowl and in Miami when you turn the Canes into a National Power House. What you did at Louisville, but What you did at FAU is so unbelievable. Truly one of football's greatest!!!  ;)

No doubt in my mind what name they should have for the name  "Howard Schnellenberger Field"
Back to the top

Talon said

What a Great legacy. I have watched you since the 72 Super Bowl and in Miami when you turn the Canes into a National Power House. What you did at Louisville, but What you did at FAU is so unbelievable. Truly one of football's greatest!!!  ;)

No doubt in my mind what name they should have for the name  "Howard Schnellenberger Field"

"Howard Schnellenberger Field"

…Does have a nice ring to it.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top
Control functions: