Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Game Week Thread: MTSU @ FAU - 10/22/11 @ 8:00 p.m.

Add topic

The Matchup: Middle Tennessee (1-4, 0-2) vs. Florida Atlantic (0-6, 0-3)

MTSU Team Site

The Series: FAU 3  MTSU 5

08/28/03 A W 20-19
09/18/04 A W 27-20
10/15/05 H L 35-14
11/04/06 A L 35-14
09/01/07 H W 27-14
09/30/08 A L 14-13
10/31/09 H L 27-20
11/27/10 A L 38-14

When: Saturday, October 22nd, 8:00 p.m.

Where: FAU Stadium

Weather: Current Conditions @ FAU Stadium

TV: Sun Belt Network (CSS)

Live Video: None

Ticket Info: 1-866-FAU-OWLS

Visitor's Info: Things to Do In Boca Raton, FL

Latest Line: Here

Back to the top

Re: Game Week Thread: MTSU @ FAU - 10/22/11 @ 8:00 p.m.

Game Week Thread: MTSU @ FAU - 10/22/11 @ 8:00 p.m.

The Owls have faced off eight times in program history against the Blue Raiders, who tie with Troy for second in all-time appearances. FIU owns the top spot with nine contests.

Unlike previous meetings, and thanks in part to Western Kentucky's sudden insurgence, it's the battle of the league's winless on Saturday. First the Hilltoppers polished of the Blue Raiders 36-33 in a contest that needed 2OT, but then they took advantage of two extra days of preparation before spoiling the Owls' literal "Homecoming".

MTSU offensive coordinator Willie Simmons stepped down last Friday amidst personal matters stemming from an arrest, but it likely won't make much difference for the offense, who will now rely on head Coach Rick Stockstill exclusively to make the calls from the sidelines.

The two squads are polar opposites amongst league members in points per game as MTSU takes the two spot with a 30.2 average to just 11.2 for FAU (9th).  Defensively there's not much difference to be noted with the Owls edging the category at 33.8 ppg to 36.2 ppg.

The Blue Raiders protect the QB well having allowed only four sacks (1st) to that of 15 (8th) for the Owls. And it shows, with MTSU's Logan Kilgore notching 283.6 yards passing per game (2nd).

As for FAU, the offense is dire straights. After posting somewhat respectable numbers the three previous weeks, the Owls shifted into reverse in a hurry behind last Saturday's 20-0 loss. And enough has already been said about that subject, so we'll spare some tired reader's eyes with more.

The only thing worth pointing out is that Graham Wilbert should be back in the driver's spot. He's not only taken a beating on the field, but also from fans. However, no one can argue that the only time the Owls have moved the ball with consistency, he's been at the signal caller spot.

Already half way through the season, FAU SR RB Alfred Morris has amassed just 389 yards on the ground (5th SBC). The offensive line will have to get busy in a hurry with a strategy that allows him to exit his time in uniform with honor - a hopeful 1,000+ yard total.

Here's how the two squads stack head-to-head in our weekly categorical look:

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Despite being at home for the first time back to back since December of 2009 against FIU, Florida Atlantic opened at +6 for the contest; with the line now adjusting to +5.
Back to the top

8pm kickoff sucks for this weekend.... I would have rather had a 4pm to go watch this team... I gotta kill my Saturday night for this....

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Agree…the start time will likely have an impact on attendance.

8:00 is simply too late to kick-off; unless you live in Las Vegas.

;D

Back to the top

Rick said

Agree…the start time will likely have an impact on attendance.

8:00 is simply too late to kick-off; unless you live in Las Vegas.

;D

If we were 4-3 or 5-2 going into next week, different story…. Playing under the lights would be a treat…this is a trick

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

I have to admit I actually like that it's a night game. Feels like another novelty and makes me excited to go, no matter how bad we are.

After this one, it's just a bunch of 4 pm starts, which doesn't excite me in the least (although I do have my season tickets).
Back to the top

Some tidbits for Saturday's match-up…

- Second half scoring in the series stands at MTSU 114, FAU 78.

- There have been 126 penalties called in the series. MTSU has been flagged 65 times and FAU 61.

- FAU has one 100+ yard rushing performance in the series (Divory Edgecomb, 103 in 2008) while MTSU has five.

- FAU has turned the ball over 23 times (5 in 2005, 4 in 2006 and 2008) compared to 13 by MTSU (4 in 2007 meeting) in the eight game series.

- Eight of the 13 FAU turnovers were by way of interception.
Back to the top

Rick said

MTSU offensive coordinator Willie Simmons stepped down last Friday amidst personal matters stemming from an arrest, but it likely won't make much difference for the offense, who will now rely on head Coach Rick Stockstill exclusively to make the calls from the sidelines.

http://www.dnj.com/article/20111017/BLUERAIDERS01/111017008/Faulkner-named-new-MTSU-play-caller?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE
Back to the top

mtpikapp said

Rick said

http://www.dnj.com/article/20111017/BLUERAIDERS01/111017008/Faulkner-named-new-MTSU-play-caller?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Fast work.

On a side note:

Interesting that he is not being promoted to OC though…….
Back to the top

Rick said

mtpikapp said

Rick said

Fast work.

On a side note:

Interesting that he is not being promoted to OC though…….

I'd imagine the playcalling responsibilities being given to him will be viewed(and maybe even have been specified behind closed doors) as a working audition for the OC gig.
Back to the top
Control functions: