Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2011 Midnight Madness "Live" Reports & Photos!

Add topic

EDIT: Midnight Madness Photos Published: http://www.palmswestpress.co/images/FAU_Madness_1_10_20_11/index.htm

This is Bob, sitting in tonight for Rick. I'm here at The Burrow waiting for the action to commence.

Things seem a bit behind schedule as the arena is a bit less than half full, but there's still a line of students waiting in a line to the road to have their Owl cards scanned. At one point, the line was halfway to the baseball stadium.

The DJ is spinning some good tunes and the cheerleaders are on the still dark gym floor warming up. Coach Jarvis is playing the perfect host, making everyone feel at home.

Fore away with your questions and comments. I'll try to keep you updated. Photos are coming as well, so don't mind me being away from the keyboard for a while.
Back to the top

Re: 2011 Midnight Madness "Live" Reports

The cheerleaders just started their "Red, Blue, FAU" cheer. The student side is around two-thirds full and they are going to need a bit of encouragement. :)
Back to the top

The pep band sounds loud and good. The players will be introduced shortly.
Back to the top

I noticed students being given "Beat MTSU" shirts inside the arena. Uh-oh.
Back to the top

Ken Lavicka Of ESPN 760 is firing up the crowd now and they have started passing out a few limited edition min-basketballs.
Back to the top

Dexter Pittman, one of the Miami Heat centers, is sitting behind the scorer's table. He was just recognized. The women's players are now being introduced. Men are next.
Back to the top

The men and women have been introduced and the crowd is pretty fired up now.

Jarvis introduced "the first guys brought into the program" - the "No. 1 all-time assist man" 5 Alex Tucker, senior and soon-to-be 1,000-point-club members Shevar Richardson and junior Greg Gantt.

"Last year we had an incredible year. We made all kinds of history," Jarvis said, referring to big wins, even over the SEC. "We won the league championship.

"This year not only are we going to repeat what we did a year ago, but we are going to try to do more," Jarvis said referring to the NCAA tournament.

"We're going to ave some ups and some downs, but if we have you, I promise you when we take that last stride up, we will be here with you. We need you! We need all of you."

In this year's Owls, "You are going to see a team that's going to run, a team that's going to press … This will be the most exciting basketball you ever saw," Jarvis told the crowd.

Nov. 8 is the first game, at home, against Lynn University.
Back to the top

So far, two students have failed to make a half-court shot for Miami Dolphins tickets.
Back to the top

David Kooi was called to make a shot and a few people booed. The QB overthrew the entire goal apparatus.

No one won the tickets, but they will go during another contest.

Back to the top

2011 Midnight Madness "Live" Reports & Photos!

Sophomore guard Kimberly Smith of Minneola, Fla. won the shoot-off from around 50 students and players from both teams, to a huge cheer from the crowd.

The monster slam contest is now energizing the crowd.
Back to the top
Control functions: