Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Some Perspective

Let me preface this by saying that in NO WAY was this meant to bash other program or take away from their accomplishments, Lord knows I'd enjoy where they are. This post is merely meant to shed some light on some things. I respect ALL other programs and ya I may want you to lose, but I'm not trying to diminish what your team has done. With that being said….

OK, so everyone knows how bad we are but I thought I'd try to boost everyone's spirits on this beautiful day for college football.

So I thought about this and it has made me feel better about how crappy this season is.

Yes, we have been a downward spiral since 2009 (One could argue since 2008 as well) and the trend looks to be continuing this year but that's not what this post is about. This post is to show you guys that even though we are sucking, we still have something to be happy/grateful for.

FIU won a title last year by going 6-6, that's pretty bad. At least our conference title game was against a MUCH stronger opponent in Troy and we won the conference in more of an up year. Last year the 'Belt was down, even though we did have a couple bowl eligible teams. Also, FIU BARELY won their bowl game. We had decisive victories in ours.

Also, they were supposed to own the 'Belt this year and yes, they did beat Louisville, but they're 3-4 with their best win being against Rutgers.
FIU also beat a UCF team that just lost to UAB!

FIU also seems to have stumbled and all those that thought Cristobal would be gone, what has he really done? OK, he won a shared conference title in a down year for the conference and yes, he does bring a lot of excitement. But FIU is gunna finish around 6-6 this year. Big whoop. Once TY is gone they'll be nothing again.

Another thing is that FIU's largest attendance was 22,682 against Duke. They didn't even sell out their home opener and they played against USF. We were 0-5 playing against Western Kentucky and we nearly sold out our 30,000 seat stadium.

On to another - UCF…ya, they could get an invite to the Big East but they aren't having a banner year either. They're losses are pretty bad. Yes, they had a pretty impressive season last year capped with a bowl win against GA (which I totally would kill for) but they aren't capitalizing on their success so much either.

MTSU as well, they had a 10 win season a couple years ago and now they are at the bottom of the 'Belt again.

See…we aren't the only team in Nation that is having issues. Yes, we are in a downward spiral and will hit rock bottom this year (if we haven't done so yet) but we are going to get a new coach next year, our school is becoming more exciting and we have the best stadium in the conference now. We nearly sold out our opener even though we are the worst team in the nation. What does that mean? That means that we have loads of potential fans who are just WAITING to support a winner.

Things cannot get any worse than they are now. I have just accepted that we are the worst team in the country but I am still going to enjoy the heck out of every home game in this stadium and even though I know we are probably going to lose, I still have hope every game that we will win.

So cheer up Owl Country, we have to experience the worst of times to be able to appreciate the best of times!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Re: Some Perspective

You should change the title to "We now are at rock bottom because the only positives I can think of is to frabricate negatives about other programs".  You are on a 9 game skid, having supported a team during a 1-23 fall, I know that hurts. But a couple of corrections.

1) FIU is 4-3, not 3-4 (I know you would prefer if it was the other way around).

2) FIU stadium's inaugural college game was on august 29th 2002 against St. Peter's on Sun Sports TV. FIU WON 27-3. Attendance was 17,314 in an 18K stadium. That makes it 96% capacity at the time. If we go with your announced attendance of ~29K that makes the 96% capacity as well.

Capacity-wise it is a push, however we won our first game played on our campus. did FAU win theirs?

The USF game that you are talking about was at FIU stadium 2.0, after a major change that moved capticy to 23k. (yes, FIU has had an OCS since 1995).

3) FIU is 3-1 in OCC this year. FAU has won how many OCC games? The perception of the 'belt being up or down is largely based on OCC wins. Guess who contributed to an "up" year
this year
4)
FIU / Toledo was one of the most exciting bowl games last year. Nobody (well, except for the parents of the student-athletes of the winning team) want to see a blowout game. That was the reason most people didn't watch the WKU@FAU this year.

I know you need to cheer you fan up, but at least  make it be based on something close to the true.
Back to the top

Before you freak out too much I wasn't counting your previous on campus stadium, my mistake.

Back to the top

FIU4ever said

That was the reason most people didn't watch the WKU@FAU this year.

What "most people" are you referring to?
We had over 29K people in a 30K seat stadium for WKU@FAU.
It was not on TV, so most "other people" couldn't watch it even if they wanted to.
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

MTSU as well, they had a 10 win season a couple years ago and now they are at the bottom of the 'Belt again.

Bottom of the Belt again?

We're currently 1-2 in conference and lost both games by a field goal, too early to say we're at "the bottom of the conference" and as far as again goes, when were we in the bottom of the conference in the first place? The worst conference record we've ever had is 3-4 and we've only finished below .500 in league play twice.

2001: 5-1
2002: 3-3
2003: 4-3
2004: 4-4
2005: 3-4
2006: 6-1
2007: 4-3
2008: 3-4
2009: 7-1
2010: 5-3

We have the most Sun Belt wins of any program in the conference, granted we had a head start on Troy who's been the better program, but we still have the second most wins in conference since Troy joined. So again, when were we at the bottom of the conference?
Back to the top

Geez, do you people just stalk every board and wait for your team to be mentioned?  Does it really matter that much what is said here?  Leave us alone in our misery!!  :D
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Geez, do you people just stalk every board and wait for your team to be mentioned?  Does it really matter that much what is said here?  Leave us alone in our misery!!  :D

Actually I was just checking to see reactions from the game…

Congrats on the new stadium, wish I could have made it down, made the trip to Lockhart once and if anyone deserved a new stadium it was FAU.

I've said it a few times, not sure if I've ever said it here, but five years ago there were three of the most embarrassing venues in the country in our conference. Lockhart, our baseball stadium and Troy's basketball arena. Both our baseball stadium and Troy's basketball arena were about as bad as Lockhart, with the lone caveat that they were on campus. We now have a beautiful baseball stadium, you guys have your beautiful football stadium, and Troy is about to play their final season in that horribly gym they have.
Back to the top

Does anyone know what FAU's all-time record is vs FIU?

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

Some Perspective

BeastOwl said

Does anyone know what FAU's all-time record is vs FIU?

I think it is about the same as your record this season.
Back to the top

Thought so

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top
Control functions: