Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Head Coach - Great Article

Ex-big time college coaches agree, Florida Atlantic job will attr | www.palmbeachpost.com

"I think it's a plumb," Curry said. "A lot of the (ground) work has been done."

"A specific record in a specific year won't matter much at all," he said.

Why I like Shannon and Nord to a degree… "Just because someone gets moved on, depending on why they get moved on, many times they can be better the second time around," he said. "They've learned from any mistakes the first time around and they can be more hungry the second time around."

"Are there better states in the country for high school players? They're so rich with so many good players," he said. "I think the situation (at FAU) is great. I'd be shocked if there is not a long line of quality coaches and leaders for that job."

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Re: Head Coach - Great Article

Nord would be an awful hire.
Back to the top

Sometimes I get the feeling that people just want a "name."

I am not endorsing Nord at all, but the guy is an OC at a BCS school.  Is it because he has already been here, or is it because we want to read articles wriiten about a big hire for a day or two?

Are we all expecting someone bigger than an OC at a BCS school?  If the Leach dream doesn't pan out, what are we looking for?

Just curious.
Back to the top

Nord is not in my top 5 either, but I will say that this program has not been the same since he left.  He was a good recruiter and very good at finding and developing QBs.

To answer fauowl's question, I'm looking for someone who has head coaching experience, preferably in a big time program.  That has been Angelos' MO when hiring basketball coaches, so I assume he'll follow the same game plan when looking for a football coach.  I'm hoping for Leach but Terry Bowden, Mike Shula, or Randy Shannon would also do. 
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

It's not often we agree as of late Owlcountry40, BUT:

+1

;D

Back to the top

It is a good article coming from the Post. Maybe someone up there in management has been reading my posts on they will sell more papers by being positive about the program and not by running it down.
Back to the top

Let's hope the line is deep and that Angelos makes the right choice in that long line.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Head Coach - Great Article

owlcountry40 said

I agree…his only head coaching stint at UTEP he had an awful record but did go to a bowl I think….We need a proven guy…

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Let me preface this by saying, I'm not voting Nord as my #1 choice but this is what I know about the guy…he developed Rusty Smith from a kid with no starts to an NFL QB, he ran the FAU offense for the years that it was best, a Conf title and bowl victories and from everything I understand he was a great recruiter and the players really liked him.

He's like a poor mans Ron Zook, excellent recruiter, well liked by his team just not the best HC in his first job in the role.

He is what we call an "easy" hire, he knows the recruiting trail, the program, he could come in and get to work right away. That doesn't mean we should hire him but they have a good choice if the big name hcs fall through.
Back to the top

Not sure how I feel about Nord either.  I was more speaking towards just because you failed in your first stint as a head coach doesn't mean you will never be a successful coach.  Actually, most coaches say you need some failure as a head coach to become a good one.

There is no denying the fall off of our team since Nord left.  I'd take Leach over him…but I think he is pretty much on par with the rest of the list.  I am just as sold on Nord as I am on Bowden or Shula.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: