Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU 1st, Gantt & Taylor 1st Team in 2011-12 SBC Pre-Season Men's Basketball Poll

Add topic

Announced per the League office today, as voted on by SBC Head Coaches…

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

2011-12 Preseason Predicted Order of Finish

EAST DIVISION

1. Florida Atlantic (11) - 71 pts
2. Middle Tennessee (1) - 59 pts
3. WKU - 41 pts
4. South Alabama - 33 pts
5. FIU - 31 pts
6. Troy - 17 pts

WEST DIVISION

1. Arkansas State (8 ) - 64 pts
2. Louisiana-Lafyaette (2) - 60 pts
3. North Texas (1) - 50 pts
4. Denver (1) - 40 pts
5. UALR - 26 pts
6. Louisiana-Monroe - 12 pts

2011-12 Preseason All-Conference

First Team

Martavius Adams Arkansas State Sr. F
Raymond Taylor Florida Atlantic Jr. G
Greg Gantt Florida Atlantic Jr. G

J.J. Thomas Louisiana-Lafayette So. F
*Augustine Rubit South Alabama So. F

Second Team

Chase Hallam Denver Jr. G
DeJuan Wright FIU Sr. G
Jason Jones Middle Tennessee Jr. F/G
Tony Mitchell North Texas Fr. F
Will Weathers Troy Jr. G

Third Team

Trey Finn Arkansas State Jr. G
Brian Stafford Denver Sr. G
Fred Brown Louisiana-Monroe Sr. G
Kedrick Hogans North Texas Sr. F
D’Andre Williams UALR Sr. G

* Preseason Player of the Year

Back to the top

Re: FAU 1st, Gantt & Taylor 1st Team in 2011-12 SBC Pre-Season Men's Basketball Poll

Jarvis was the first up today for Media Day…He's not buying the hype of rankings whatsoever, and expects the league to once again be very competitive.  But he also appreciates the expectations being set by them…here are some excerpts from his opener and a few other specifics including the departure of Brett Royster:

Opener:

“Looking forward to another thrilling and exciting conference year…looking forward to the year and seeing how these guys can play.”

“It’s funny, when I look at the conference I really don’t think about East and West. You’ve got to win it all to get to the dance…It’s about Sun Belt – period.”

“I think on any given night, especially given travel the way it is, anybody can beat any body.”

On the East in particular this season:

“Western Kentucky…Middle Tennessee…FIU has got a lot of talent. We’ve been very fortunate to beat them, but those games are going to be dog fights.”

On early loss in 2010-11 SBC Tourney:

“I hope that the experience of winning being the overall league champion last year will help us. It was disappointing to lose in the tournament but we played against one of the best teams in the Sun Belt.”

On expectations of being number one in the poll:

“I think expectations if they are high are good. I am glad they are high. However, I also know there are a lot of people who will pick us to win because they don’t think we can.”

On Brett Royster loss:

“I think we can improve upon the scoring we got out that position and the rebounding and maybe the shot blocking wont be missed that much.”

On Kore White in the off-season:

“I though Kore was going to be one of the best players in the league last year. White is a young man with incredible talent. Hopefully we can keep him focused as much as he has been in the off season. He can not only score inside but also outside. The best part is we get him for another year.”

Back to the top

Re: FAU 1st, Gantt & Taylor 1st Team in 2011-12 SBC Pre-Season Men's Basketball Poll

Oh, and had to throw this bomber in from Coach Isaiah Thomas down at FIU…….

On being so low in the poll (5th East):

“We just want to play well every night. Clearly the people making the polls think that the other teams have better players than we do and they probably do.”

"Whatever the polls are, whatever the statistics…they are entitled to that."

What coach in their right mind says publicly that other teams have better players than they do?
Back to the top

One that cant wait to get to NY!!
Back to the top

If Kore goes more than 3 feet from the basket i'm going to be pissed. guy has to dunk the f'ing ball and go to the basket. there's like 85 guys on this team that can shoot from outside. this team only hole is the inside game.
Back to the top

I hope Jelani Floyd can pick up some slack if Kore keeps playing soft...
Back to the top

Rick said

Oh, and had to throw this bomber in from Coach Isaiah Thomas down at FIU…….

On being so low in the poll (5th East):

“We just want to play well every night. Clearly the people making the polls think that the other teams have better players than we do and they probably do.”

"Whatever the polls are, whatever the statistics…they are entitled to that."

What coach in their right mind says publicly that other teams have better players than they do?

I have always said that IT at FIU is good for us.

Great player, not impressive as a coach.  How can you teach a "team" sport when he has no idea of "team" concept.  He is all about himself.  I don't say that as an FAU fan against FIU, I say it as someone who grew up on Indiana college Basketball and IT went to Indiana.  In fact, he was probably the first player at Indiana to leave early, back when kids didn't leave early.  I don't know him personally, but he has always seemed to be a selfish person from my perspective.  That's not a great quality for a basketball coach IMO.
Back to the top

Kiss ASU's chances of a title good bye?

1st Team preseason selection F Martavius Adams released from Red Wolves program on Monday.

Details

Back to the top

I'm a Knicks fan so i hate Isiah but i will give him credit in one area. the guy can spot talent. the diamond in the rough type of player. always has.

but other than that he's a bum.
Back to the top

FAU 1st, Gantt & Taylor 1st Team in 2011-12 SBC Pre-Season Men's Basketball Poll

Isaiah Thomas, going into year three, this is his make or break season.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top
Control functions: