Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

3 C-USA Teams Invited to the Big East

Big East to invite six for football, according to report - ESPN

"The Big East Conference will invite Boise State, Navy and Air Force for football only and SMU, Houston and Central Florida for all sports, a source with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press. "

I guess C-USA will be looking for 1 to 3 schools to fill the gap.
Back to the top

Re: 3 C-USA Teams Invited to the Big East

UGH...if there was ever a yr NOT to suck....this is it!!!! :(
Back to the top

FAUALUM2005 said

UGH…if there was ever a yr NOT to suck….this is it!!!! :(

I honestly dont think a one year performance is going to influcence the decesion. They will look at overall history and commitment to atheletics via facilites and and fans.

You could very easily se FAU/FIU brought into CUSA as a filler with instant rivalry and S. Floriday recruting.

Now CUSA IS an upgrade, I dont want anyone to think that its not, but its certainly not a HUGE upgrade over the 'Belt. It does have more games and a higher payout to members. Of course perception wise it is above the 'Belt.

I'll still be an FAU fan no matter what confrence we are in.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

3 C-USA Teams Invited to the Big East

Well the recent success of basketball may help us as well. I'm assuming if we get a C-USA invite, it would be in all sports not just football. Baseball and Basketball have enjoyed success more recent than football. Both sports have won the conference recently.

I was reading that one of the teams that were a Big East rumor was Memphis and that was solely because of their basketball success.

So while we are all concentrating on football, keep in mind they may be looking at all sports

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

it wouldn't surprise me if FAU is in conference USA by the end of the year. as much as i want the big east, its not what it use to be. Conf USA is definitely a step up, i think it would be good. If we get the invite we really will need a arena for hoops and a new baseball stadium asap. lending is so cheap right now, now is the time to do it.
Back to the top

What other teams are in the running for a spot in CUSA?

My thoughts are:

FIU, Troy, UNT, MTSU, and UL from the SBC. Clearly FIU and FAU have the draw of the media market.

Northern Illinois and Temple are possibilities from the MAC.

New Mexico and UNLV from the Mountain West.

Louisiana Tech would make sense from the WAC.

Even with lots of options, FIU and FAU could be at the top of the heap and in all honesty the stadium does wonders for FAU.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

My concern about us moving is that we don't really know how stable the next conference will be.  We move and then the others get raided, and we end up with a mess.  Look at TCU…they jumped to the Big east and then Big 12.  We won't be as lucky to move quickly if the bottom falls out of our new conference.  Not sure wherever we end up and no matter what the name of the conference is, that it will be any better. A non-AQ is a non-AQ.  It's a complete mess what college football has become right now.
Back to the top

The Big Least was always fubar, with their football-only and basketball-only and whatnot, but now they've really jumped the shark.  I'm not so sure that they hang onto their AQ bid with this lineup.  Ok, Boise has some swagger… today… but other than that you have a conference full of teams that were all non-AQ just a few years ago.  Who's left?  Rutgers?  Maybe they'll bring back Temple.  ::)

Unbeaten Cincinnati goes to the Sugar Bowl!  Wait, Florida just scored again. (How's that working out for ya, BCS?)
Back to the top

Exit39 said

it wouldn't surprise me if FAU is in conference USA by the end of the year. as much as i want the big east, its not what it use to be. Conf USA is definitely a step up, i think it would be good. If we get the invite we really will need a arena for hoops and a new baseball stadium asap. lending is so cheap right now, now is the time to do it.

I think you could be right if we get a well-known HC (Leach, Leavitt etc) named in early December (hopefully sooner)

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

I'm in. CUSA is definitely a step up. Teams like ECU, Tulsa and Southern Miss would put some butts in the stadium.  Those 3 teams alone beats watching the Louisiana sisters and WKU. I am sold. Let's name the successor soon and move forward.
Back to the top
Control functions: