Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Schnellenberger's Senility Showing -- Just Retire Already!!!

The statistics were not eye-popping, but Florida Atlantic coach Howard Schnellenberger said quarterback Graham Wilbert showed improvement Saturday.

"This was an important game for him," Schnellenberger said. "If he continues to improve, we will get closer and we will win."

Wilbert finished 16-of-24 for 147 yards with one touchdown and one interception.

Coach has got to be the most senile person on the planet right now if he thinks Wilbert is improving. I don't have any coaching experience, but a simple looks at QB stats on ESPN shows that Graham "Can't Throw" Wilbert is the second worst QB in the nation (2012 NCAA Division I-A College Football Individual Statistics Leaders for Passing - ESPN)

The fact that Wilbert is still our starting QB over Curtis, who's shown he has potential, is mind-blowing. I Refuse to donate another dollar, attend another game, and even cheer for FAU until Graham Wilbert has been benched!!!!

I doubt Howard reads these posts, but let's hope Ted Hutton and Tom D'Angelo (The Media) starts putting pressure on the "Old Man" to bench Wilbert. There is no reason why the second worst QB in the nation should remain a starter after going 0-8. Give Bracewell and Curtis some playing, they cant do any worse, and chances are will do better.

Back to the top

Re: Schnellenberger's Senility Showing -- Just Retire Already!!!

Not like we are playing for the conference championship or even a bowl bid anyhow. THIS is why we have not built a program - no experience for the younger players many times (now and again at qb) so when next year comes the other qb's will have little to no game experience again - except for Wilbert. Thjen when the experienced players either graduate or get hurt we have nothing prepared to step in.

UGA played almost the entire 2nd half yesterday (yes they were winning huge) with TONS of freshman playing. I watched the Central Michgam/Kent state game the other night - tons of freshman playing a lot. we are doing a bit better this year but sure not at qb. We are 0-7 with Wilbert starting and we did not do better in the 2nd half last night. After we took the BRIEF lead, ASU clamped down and ran away from us. And yes the special teams did cost us the game last night - again, not Wilbert to be fair.
Back to the top

The coach tries to focus on something positive during each post-game press conference. After all, how much can you describe breakdowns in all phases of the game.

Part of his comments, I am sure, have to do with being positive and trying to instill some positivity to the team and keeping it from throwing in the towel.

He was correct, in a way. Wilbert did play better and gave the team a chance to win. being a bit better than terrible, is, well, I don't know … but for the first time, there were some positive attributes of Wilbert's performance. Howard did criticize him as well, saying that had the QB thrown more quickly in several incidences, major positive plays would have ensured.

The comments about Howard's "senility" are uncalled for here. He is pretty sharp - especially considering his age - in front of the media.
Back to the top

Wilbert certainly played better than I see him play in the WKU game.  He made some great plays to get them/keep them in the game, but his two first half fumbles KILLED them (the one right after the missed FG and the one right before halftime when they were driving).

I'm just hoping there's another "Rusty Smith" out there in FL that they can find this offseason.
Back to the top

Let him finish the season as planned we actually have a chance at a decent crowd in his last game
Back to the top

Coach will finish the season, that's always been the plan and honestly at this point it don't matter if he left early or not. I am definetly looking forward to that Dec 3rd game, it will be every bit as historic as our Oct 15th opener.  GO OWLS! 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Everyone just be cool with the man, it is way too late to get real upset now, the damage has been done to the present owls football team. But only four more games this year - then the next phase of Owls football! Go Owls!
Let's all just give thanks to Coach for giving birth and breath to the FAU program and for getting us a BEAUTIFUL home to play in! I wish him the best and want his support and voice and persence on our side, especially in this confusing time that is Collegiate football! If there is ANYBODY who does not want the Owls left out and dumped into a new NCAA DII, it is him!
Back to the top

Schnellenberger's Senility Showing -- Just Retire Already!!!

Most disappointed in the assistant coaching staff. If anytime there was a need to step up, it has been the last few years, when Coach S. needed them most ( whether he realized it or not). They needed to stick their necks out for the men they are coaching and they have not.
Back to the top

FAUFBL said

Most disappointed in the assistant coaching staff. If anytime there was a need to step up, it has been the last few years, when Coach S. needed them most ( whether he realized it or not). They needed to stick their necks out for the men they are coaching and they have not.

You can't just put this on the assistants - or the players for that matter. The assistanst are ultimately the responsibility of the head coach. Everyone associated with this program gets blame, but I really don't like when accountability is deflected from HS. I'm not sitting here and bashing him, but it is what it is.
Back to the top

This thread is senseless as the man and his staff are gone in less than a month.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top
Control functions: