Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

What happened to the "Wishbone?"

Could have just been me, but I felt like that gave defenses issues last year and we ran it pretty successfully? Why did we not stick to it this year, especially with Floyd, who seemed to work pretty well out of that formation? At least that gave our play calling some variation...
Back to the top

Re: What happened to the "Wishbone?"

What happened to the "Wishbone?"

Another area we agree on - what happened to……

If it works, don't try that again, like the hurry up O, like the blitzing pressue from our four athletic linebackers, like…like blocking punts, like faking punts, like….

These Coaches plan and act like they are simply trying to not get beat too bad, not like they are willing to try anything to win.

What have we got to lose, the way we are being coached this year we are already 0-12. Do something different, find a way to win! Even all the Belt coaches knew how bad we were going to be even before the season started. We have not done something new or unexpected (especially on O) since… we are SO EASY to prepare for and defend. Heck we made WKU look like Michigan State on D!

Come on 2012, GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Ahh the wishbone- 3 yards and a cloud of dust.  An antiquated offense that is very fun to watch.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

I don't like it much personally either (I call it a High School O), but up here, Ga. Tech has done pretty well with it and in the Belt with the weak D's most teams have, and the fact that most of the other O's are spread, it would be nearly impossible for an opposing D to prepare for it.

In our case, mix in a few  series or plays with it and see what happens, the change up as I call it has worked in the past. And it gives the more mobile running QB more "options" to handle and distribute the ball to be effective. A much better choice for that style of QB than the "wildcat" where the D KNOWS he is gonna keep it and run.

But why do we bring these things up, these coaches have quit and are not about to change anything. Even with FIU this week we are looking at 0-12 and that really pisses me off as I believed (wrongly) we could honestly go 8-4 this year if the O line improved and with a year of game experience and weight gain and strength training they should have. And would have with any decent coaching but when Coach announced his retirement the lame duck season kicked in and this is the result.

Go Owls - beat FIU - and come on 2012!
Back to the top

BeastOwl said

Ahh the wishbone- 3 yards and a cloud of dust.  An antiquated offense that is very fun to watch.

Teams that run the option very well like Georgia Tech or Navy tend to do very well with sporadic talent (especially Navy)
Back to the top
Control functions: