Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Joe Paterno's tenure at Penn State will soon end

Add topic

This according to the New York times who said his tenure at Penn State will soon end, it could be within days or weeks.

Sad way to go out, and I hope this is not what he's remembered for. It'll be very strange to see someone else on the sidelines coaching Penn State, but he should've said something when he knew

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Joe Paterno's tenure at Penn State will soon end

and to think, wasn't there a very short list of schools without any major NCAA infractions that FAU was on and Penn State was. One of the few Big BCS schools on it… well guess you can cross them off that list.

What a shame!
Back to the top

They were just looking for an excuse…given that a former DC under him was having sex with young boys in the locker room, and he doesn't' even call the cops, they obviously are done looking…….
Back to the top

Rick, you're right, as usual. One of the mysteries (to me, anyway) is the based on the report that it could take 'days or weeks' to figure out how to get rid of him. What?!!!! If this had happened during my watch in business and I let it go on for years, it wouldn't have taken the boss 10 minutes to swing the ax. I think what is meant at Penn State is that it will take some time for others to cover their rears and for their mouthpieces (PR folks) to try to dream up some kind of rationalization. In advance of that: In my book, no amount of previous behavior, no matter how saint-like, justifies putting even one more boy in jeopardy of being scarred for life – much less facilitating this scandalous behavior for years…..
Back to the top

NCowl said

and to think, wasn't there a very short list of schools without any major NCAA infractions that FAU was on and Penn State was. One of the few Big BCS schools on it… well guess you can cross them off that list.

What a shame!

This isn't an NCAA issue. It's a legal one.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I think you're right technically – it is not an NCAA issue. The NCAA is busy staying on top of which kid got a free T-shirt, slept on the floor in a players' apartment, was treated to a burger and fries by someone and so forth. But as for major cheating, such as that at Southern California, Ohio State or Miami? Gee, it takes years to figure that out. And a case where an NCAA member's shower room is used to facilitate child sexual abuse, allegedly by a top assistant coach at a major program where it is allegedly covered by by any number of other officials of a the same top NCAA program? Not my problem, says the NCAA.
Back to the top

Joe Paterno's tenure at Penn State will soon end

Technically Joe Pa didn't do anything wrong, he didn't molest the kid. However, morally what he did was wrong. He told his boss about what happened and his boss did nothing about it and so he just let it go rather than going to the school president or the police. NCAA can't penalize him or the school for him not going to the authorities. Not that I'm a lawyer or anything but legally speaking he didn't do anything wrong

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab your right, Joe Pa didn't legally do anything wrong, morally yes, but thats not a crime.  I'm sure more info will be coming out, but right now it seems there were a couple people that should have done more, Paterno being one of them.  The main guy who I think should have gone a little further was the assitant who actually witnessed the act in the shower.  I'm sure he didn't want to ruffle any feathers over there for his job security, but I'd like to think that if I saw that, reported it, and nothing happened, I'd have to go to the authorities myself and tell someone.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Actually, friends, I like to think that if I saw a man sexually abusing a boy, I'd go over and do my best to break it up. Then, after the boy was safe, I'd report it. And I think that's what the grad assistant should have done. How could a fear of job security outweigh the critical need to stop a child rape in progress – in the mind of any decent man?
Back to the top

Im not completely sure how I feel about this…there are a few factors that come into play for me.

1.  Neither of the people involved in the act were actually part of the football program at the time.
2.  Paterno heard this information 3rd hand, its not like he saw it happen with his own eyes.  He reported it to the person that is SUPPOSED to take care of issues such as that and is trained to do so.
3.  Culture.  Priests in that area (the northeast) have been making these acts a way of life unfortunatly.  Here is where Paterno went to school…
Brooklyn Prep (Brooklyn Preparatory School) was a highly selective Jesuit preparatory school founded by the Society of Jesus in 1908. The school educated generations of young men from throughout New York City and Long Island until its untimely closure in 1972

Anybody want to take bets that some child molesting was going on at that all boys school where he went?

My point there is the same one I heard over and over again for Michael Vick.  That while fighting dogs to me is cruel and unthinkable, it is his culture.  Maybe due to schools like the one Paterno attended is was part of his culture to not take molesting boys very seriously.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: