Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Worst team in FAU history

In the year that we have the most to celebrate, we have the worst team in FAU history.  You would think these guys would get fired up enough to win at least one game.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Re: Worst team in FAU history

bighooter said

You would think these guys would get fired up enough to win at least one game.

I seriously doubt it's an issue of passion… especially not in the Shula Bowl.

I've been on a couple of intramural teams where, despite how much you wanted it or how hard you played, it just wasn't enough to win. Sometimes you even fail to produce results at all. If I got a group of my friends together, all of which are reasonably athletic and were passionate about the game, but then we went up against former baseball/football players, we'd get destroyed. Every time.

We'd go into that game wanting to win, practicing before the game, planning out positions to minimize our weaknesses and playing as hard as we could… but come gameday every missed play, every small unfilled hole becomes a score. Suddenly you're too far behind and the game's out of your hands.

And I obviously understand that intramurals with your friends and Division I scholarship athletics are different animals but I can't help but think about that experience a lot during our games this season.

Sometimes you have an intramural team and your friend brings on a coworker or something at the beginning of the season and that guy is totally awesome, nails the ball at the plate, dives to make the catch, the whole shebang - and you think, holy sh*t, what a great pick-up. And when you have that guy, you win more games, especially if you get a couple guys just like him.

That's like the 2007/2008 FAU team.

But then next season the superstar coworker goes off and does something else, forcing you to fill the hole with your friend's delicate girlfriend (every ball that comes her way is an automatic score) or another guy who looks athletic but turns out to be absolutely marginal, and suddenly your team is in the bottom of the stack again. The passion is there but the talent is not what it used to be.

That's like the 2011 FAU team.

Hopefully this makes sense to someone else too.

Back to the top

Looks like we fielded a team of mostly girlfriends this year.
Back to the top

I disagree, the talent is there. The coaching staff has checked out and the players are not used to there best potential. You adjust your plan according to the talent you have…or don't have. They never have adjusted…Pro Set, Pro Set and more Pro Set…even if we don't have the beef up front.

-Go Owls!
Back to the top

Sadly, the 1st season with the new stadium will end up being the worst season in FAU history.

But after visiting FIU's stadium last night, I know we have something special here and the future looks bright.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

BeastOwl said

Sadly, the 1st season with the new stadium will end up being the worst season in FAU history.

But after visiting FIU's stadium last night, I know we have something special here and the future looks bright.

BeastOwl, looking at some of the threads since last night's game if I were an owl fan I would be concerned about your takeaway from the night.

Staring at a 0-12 season (trust me, it is the worst feeling possible), losing to your rival by 30+ points, a complete breakdown of team discipline (i'm not talking about false starts, but the late hits and unsportsmanlike calls), being responsible for the darkest days of a great coach and your takeaway from all of that is "we got taken out behind the shed last night but our brand new stadium is much nicer than their 1994 digs that they renovated 4 year ago, ooh and miami is disgusting. "?

Obviously a 30k stadium didn't help you win the 8 shula bowls, 2 post season bowls and a conference crown. And I know you think that a guaranteed way of cheering up your fanbase is to put down FIU in anyway possible.

Here is a positive from the night that you seem to have completely missed, BeastOwl. You got Morris as the FAU's leading rushing last night, and you don't even recognize the man's efforts.
Back to the top

Worst team in FAU history

FIU4ever said

BeastOwl said

Here is a positive from the night that you seem to have completely missed, BeastOwl. You got Morris as the FAU's leading rushing last night, and you don't even recognize the man's efforts.

Absolutely…Nice call…

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

FIU4ever said

BeastOwl said

BeastOwl, looking at some of the threads since last night's game if I were an owl fan I would be concerned about your takeaway from the night.

Staring at a 0-12 season (trust me, it is the worst feeling possible), losing to your rival by 30+ points, a complete breakdown of team discipline (i'm not talking about false starts, but the late hits and unsportsmanlike calls), being responsible for the darkest days of a great coach and your takeaway from all of that is "we got taken out behind the shed last night but our brand new stadium is much nicer than their 1994 digs that they renovated 4 year ago, ooh and miami is disgusting. "?

Obviously a 30k stadium didn't help you win the 8 shula bowls, 2 post season bowls and a conference crown. And I know you think that a guaranteed way of cheering up your fanbase is to put down FIU in anyway possible.

Sorry you are taking criticism about your stadium so seriously. We are rivals so it comes with the territory I guess.  My goal is to see this become as heated a rivalry as UF - GA, MI-OSU, TX - OK etc. We're getting there although we (at least this season) are not holding up our end.

I'm proud to see Alfred Morris break the FAU rushing record.  He has been one of the few bright spots on the team (Groody too, god knows he's gotten alot of work).  This season has been an abomination and last night was the whole season wrapped in a nutshell.  Winning in football is a team effort, not an individual effort. As a team , I remember 14 penalties for over 140 yards last night.

Oh, I almost forgot, you guys have better stadium food than we do, I love the arepas ;-)

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

And yes this is our worst team ever. Guess that is what being last in recruiting in the friggin BELT will do to you, that and a bunch of lame duck coaches.

Other programs like FIU have upped their games in both COACHING STYLE AND RECRUITING while we have done the same as always and refuse to adapt to the "talent" on hand or to update our recruiting methods so the bottom line is many of our "recruits" have ZERO offers from ANY other FBS program - they are not 2 stars they are ZERO stars (and it shows).

But it is almost over and we can pray that the admin sees the need to UPGRADE all areas of the program or else that new stadium sits empty and the school has to eat the debt on it. If this season does not wake the admin up to these facts than nothing ever will.

Come on 2012 - Go Owls!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

And yes this is our worst team ever. Guess that is what being last in recruiting in the friggin BELT will do to you, that and a bunch of lame duck coaches.

Other programs like FIU have upped their games in both COACHING STYLE AND RECRUITING while we have done the same as always and refuse to adapt to the "talent" on hand or to update our recruiting methods so the bottom line is many of our "recruits" have ZERO offers from ANY other FBS program - they are not 2 stars they are ZERO stars (and it shows).

But it is almost over and we can pray that the admin sees the need to UPGRADE all areas of the program or else that new stadium sits empty and the school has to eat the debt on it. If this season does not wake the admin up to these facts than nothing ever will.

I believe Angelos has stated he wants a coach that is going to zero in on recruiting. So at least he realizes there has been a major issue with recruiting. Because while people time and time again want to give this staff the benefit of the doubt with recruiting, it is painfully obvious when you look at it realistically that our recruiting IS AN EMBARRASSMENT. Stadium or no stadium there is no reason this program is literally ranked BELOW SOME DII programs in recruiting. It's a complete joke. But at least Angelos has acknowledged it.
Back to the top
Control functions: