Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Game Week Thread: FAU @ Troy - 11/19/11 @ 3:30 p.m.

Add topic

The Matchup: FAU (0-9, 0-6) vs. Troy (2-7, 1-4)

The Series: Troy 7  FAU 1

10/26/02 A L 61-14
11/06/04 A L 24-6
11/05/05 A L 28-14
11/11/06 H L 24-17
12/01/07 A W 38-32
10/07/08 H L 30-17
11/21/09 A L 47-21
12/04/10 H L 44-7

When: Saturday, November 19th, 3:30 p.m.

Where: Veterans Memorial Stadium

Weather: Current Conditions @ Veterans Memorial Stadium

Troy Team Site: Here

TV: CSS

Live Video: Trojans All Access (Fee)

Ticket Info: 1-866-FAU-OWLS

Visitor's Info: Things to Do In Troy, AL

Latest Line: Here

Back to the top

Re: Game Week Thread: FAU @ Troy - 11/19/11 @ 3:30 p.m.

Game Week Thread: FAU @ Troy - 11/19/11 @ 3:30 p.m.

After facing off against some of the Sun Belt's top teams the last couple of weeks, the Owls are Hopeful to wind things down somewhat against the Trojans. Afterall, they are a struggling bunch as well having been a once favorite amongst league contenders and have less than met expectations since losing the ability to stock pile JUCO signees in the back pocket for rainy weather.

It comes at a good time for the Owls whose Fans were let down when thinking they might hold out for hope in a win against FIU until things went from bad to worse in a 41-9 drubbing. So bad in fact that Coach Schnellenberger issued a rare apology afterwards - to both former mentors and the University at large.

"I have to apologize to Paul Bryant and Don Shula, people who taught me to play and coach football…I have to apologize to Florida Atlantic University for the first half of football that we played here today and live with it", he said. "We can’t play football at this level with an inordinate amount of terrible decisions."

The Trojans didn't fair much better in a 33-38 loss at home to former Sun Belt cellar dweller North Texas, but they did at least populate the scoreboard in reasonable fashion. Trojan signal caller Corey Robinson had a solid outing tossing four TD's and rushing for his first career score as well. However, the loss overshadowed those tallies.

"We lost. That's all I have to say," said Robinson afterwards. "We lost, and we're looking for a win."

As for FAU's "achievements", Congratulations are in order for FAU's Alfred Morris, who eclipsed Charles Pierre's previous mark of 3,069 yards to become Florida Atlantic's new all-time career rushing leader (and counting). Morris tallied 96 yards against FIU - one of a few bright spots in the game. But like Robinson, feats don't mean much to him following a stinging loss.

“We came out and got embarrassed, so I can care less", Morris stated.

He now needs just 185 more hit the 1,000 yard mark for 2011, and should have no trouble doing that with three games left to draw from. Morris is currently leading the Sun Belt in yards per carry at 5.3, and is third in total yardage.

Last year at Lockhart Stadium the Owls had a moderate day offensively against Troy in terms of yardage (371) but could not string together points (7) from it. Two costly fumbles allowed the Trojans extra chances, and Florida Atlantic stalled drives after gaining significant yardage.

But now is all that matters in all reality. Let's look at our weekly match-up chart:

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Of note, third down conversions are up since last week for FAU and that is a "nice to see" plus for a struggling offense.

Additionally, with the Trojans defense being as porous as it is (478.4 ypg), on paper this match-up has more potential for upset than the previous two contests hands down. Troy's secondary is a weak spot, and FAU needs to cash in on that while not giving the ball away off interceptions.

They key takeaway is killing a 10 point differential on the scoreboard. The Owls will need a strong showing in the backfield since the Trojans like to pass much more than run.

There's no likelihood FAU will be favored in any of their remaining games, but some interesting numbers out of Vegas early as the Owls open at +14.5 underdogs against Troy and have since dropped to +10.5. Home field is worth +3.5 usually, so a reasonably close game must be on most better's minds.

As for ambiance, Saturday's tilt bills Salute to Veterans and Senior Day at Veterans Memorial Stadium.
Back to the top

I'm sorry Rick, but as I see it, the only way us winning this, is if it's given to us by Troy. I'm talking about turnovers and mental mistakes on their part. :-\
We just don't seem to have the discipline to sustain an offensive drive without stupid penalties. :'(

-Go Owls…no matter what!
Back to the top

Rick, can you change the thread name form "game" week to "beating" week - much more appropriate until we can at least only lose by less than a TD! At that point MAYBE we can call it a game.
Back to the top

Saturday's 2 Deep per FAU…

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

The "beating" of the week

LMAO, what's really funny is that this is true.  Only 3 more to go. Thank God!
Back to the top

Here's a thought, since we can't seem to win at our new home, maybe we should play our last two games back at Lockfart.  ;D

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Na, maybe our players and lame duck Coaches just need to man up AND PLAY!
Back to the top

Per FAU, in a game week development tomorrow's game will be broadcast on CSS…Comcast 32 locally…
Back to the top
Control functions: