Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: George Mason vs FAU - 11/19/11 @ 7:00PM

Add topic

What: George Mason (2-1) vs FAU (1-3)

When: Saturday, Nov. 19th @ 7:00 PM EST

Where: FAU Arena

TV: None

Live Video: None

Internet Broadcast: Here

Live Stats: Here

George Mason Team Site: Here

Probable Starters:

George Mason

G Bryon Allen 9.0 ppg
G Sherrod Wright 14.0 ppg
G Vertrail Vaughns 15.0 ppg
F Mike Morrison 8.0 ppg
F Ryan Pearson 20.7 ppg

FAU

G Ray Taylor 6.0 ppg
G Dennis Mavin 3.0 ppg
G Greg Gantt 14.0 ppg
F Kelvin Penn 3.0 ppg
F Kore White 11.3 ppg

The series:

11/27/10 A L 51-66

The Patriots won the only meeting between the two teams last season 51-66 in Fairfax, Va. GMU used its size while tallying a 57.7% mark from the floor in the first period to lead 34-23 at the break. The Owls would not counter, and when it was all said and done a 40-22 point disparity in the paint was the key difference in the contest.

Greg Gantt had 15 points for FAU and Kore White added 11 to go with a game high nine rebounds. Mike Morrison posted a contest best 18 points for the Patriots and had a team best seven boards to boot.

George Mason at a Glance:

After escaping in OT 92-90 over Rhode Island to begin the season, the Patriots had mixed results (1-1) in the 2011 NIT Season Tip-Off while posting a 79-76 loss to Florida International in OT, and then following that up with a 71-39 whooping over an over matched Monmouth squad.

The defeat by the Panthers, which was the first back to back extra period affair in over 12 years for GMU, stung a bit as it ended a school-record 15 game regular season game streak.

GMU is a well balanced bunch on the offensive end with solid production occurring in the both the front and back courts, but does not tap the bench very much for output with the starting line-up currently accounting 74% of the scoring on average. Senior Ryan Pearson has posted a double-double in each of the Patriots’ first three games this season.

Senior guard Andre Cornelius was suspended earlier in the year after pleading guilty to misdemeanor credit card fraud and will return to competition with the team on December 20th. Cornelius posted five points and two rebounds in 30 minutes of action against the Owls last year.

George Mason is 5-2 all-time in games played in the Sunshine state, and has received votes this season in both the ESPN/USA Today & Associated Press Top 25 polls.

FAU at a Glance:

Hopeful for their second win in a row on Wednesday, the Owls got a basket of rotten eggs instead in a 62-56 loss to American at Bender Arena. Execution and shooting were problems at times. But so was the officiating and the play of Charles Hinkle. The 6-5 forward sank a game high 27 points, although Jarvis questions the legitimacy of quite a few.

"We still could have won the game if we had a fair whistle. Half the shots came from him (Hinkle) pushing off the guy covering him."

Not helping matters was FAU's leading scorer Greg Gantt being held to just two points in the loss, as the Owls' bench outscored the starters 33-23. On a positive note, Kore White notched his fourth double figure outing.

As for beating the Patriots this Saturday, Jarvis appears reserved in his confidence, and has respect for the perennial tournament team.

"It's going to take a lot (to beat them), they know how to win", said Jarvis.

Considering this, it's a good thing that FAU Arena is expected to be at packed house conditions. For the first time in program history pregame sales for a men's basketball contest reached the sold out mark. This can be attributed to Jarvis stepping out of this normal coaching duties and donning both marketing and promotional hats while brokering a 2,000 count ticket purchase weeks prior to game day.

"In the past we'd be begging people to come to games. Now, I tell them if you want to come you better get your tickets now because there won't be any left", commented Jarvis. "So we've got people buying tickets now that never would have bought tickets before."

Florida Atlantic has poured in more three pointers than their opponents through four games, and comes into the contest tied for 36th nationally while connecting 37.0% of their attempts.

Latest Line:

FAU -2

Owl's Nest Prediction

After a -1 opening line, better confidence quickly gave FAU another point. Hate to buck this trend and pick against the Owls, but GMU owns field goal percentage, free throw rate, and turnover percentage. Head-to-head numbers reveal a high single digit advantage for the Patriots when the final horn sounds.

GMU -8
Back to the top

Re: Game Preview: George Mason vs FAU - 11/19/11 @ 7:00PM

GAME THREAD: George Mason vs FAU - 11/19/11 @ 7:00PM

I was kind of encouraged (by the little bit of the game I saw) by the way Kore and Shavar played. Shavar looked to play some of the best D I've ever seen him play and Kore played "big." Going strong to the rim, we need more of that. I hate to see him shoot anything further than 10ft from the basket. I'm a bit disappointed being 1-3 knowing that we easily be 3-1. A win tomorrow could go a long way in building even more support. I think if we can stay consistent on offense and play our usual solid D then we should come out on top. I'm pretty excited to see the sell out and I hope students show up, I was a little worried that I didn't see much promoting of the game. No posters, facebook, etc. I'm sure they'll come out strong though.
Back to the top

Right now White really doesn't have anyone to dish it to should he get in trouble under there…could be part of the decision making process at times when he has the ball.

Next year obviously that will change with the Dragan coming on board. Get ready, because that will change the face of FAU Hoops as we know it. No more of this paint advantage we have dealt with since time began it seems. Teams will have to account for him - period.

As for the attendance tomorrow, the Thanksgiving Holiday may have an impact with some students packing up early and heading home…Hope not though!
Back to the top

As of this morning, Owls move up a full point to -3 for tonight…….

Back to the top

Vegas must have heard that it's a sellout…or that we're wearing red, lol.
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

Vegas must have heard that it's a sellout…or that we're wearing red, lol.

Has to be the Red!

;D
Back to the top

Re: GAME THREAD: George Mason vs FAU - 11/19/11 @ 7:00PM

I'm thinking that if this contest is truly going to be attended as a sell out that some folks better had start showing up.

Right now we are looking at 1/3 full.
Back to the top

Little disappointed in our "sellout"
Back to the top

Starters

George Mason

G Bryon Allen
G Vertrail Vaughns
F Johnathon Arledge
F Mike Morrison
F Ryan Pearson

FAU

G Ray Taylor
G Greg Gantt
G Pablo Bertone
F Kelvin Penn
F Kore White

Jarvis mixing it up again with the insertion of Bertone
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

Little disappointed in our "sellout"

People are still filling in so we'll see….but can't see it being completely full.
Back to the top
Control functions: