Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Game Week Thread: UAB @ FAU - 11/26/11 @ 4:00 p.m.

Add topic

Game Week Thread: UAB @ FAU - 11/26/11 @ 4:00 p.m.

The Matchup: Alabama Birmingham (3-8, 3-5 CUSA) vs. Florida Atlantic (0-10, 0-7 SBC)

UAB Team Site

The Series: FAU 2  UAB 1

09/06/08 H W 49-34
11/07/09 A L 56-29
09/02/10 A W 32-31

When: Saturday, November 26th, 4:00 p.m.

Where: FAU Stadium

Weather: Current Conditions @ FAU Stadium

TV: None

Live Video: None

Ticket Info: 1-866-FAU-OWLS

Visitor's Info: Things to Do In Boca Raton, FL

Latest Line: Here

Back to the top

Re: Game Week Thread: UAB @ FAU - 11/26/11 @ 4:00 p.m.

With only two games remaining in the Howard Schnellenberger era at Florida Atlantic, the Owls will finish out the 2011 slate at FAU Stadium, beginning with the Blazers this weekend. And what a long strange trip this year has been.

Figuring in Saturday's 34-7 loss to to the Trojans FAU has posted back-to-back performances of 302 and 291 yards respectively, but managed just 14 points combined off of them. Of concern, the losing streak has now reached 13 straight games dating back to last season.

Schnellenberger offered his take on the defeat afterwards, which nearly matched the lopsidedness of last year's loss at Lockhart stadium.

"We made errors, the opponent (Troy) capitalized," Schnellenberger said. "We made another error, they capitalized. We're not playing with a great deal of confidence because we haven't done anything to gain confidence. When you're not playing with any confidence, the losses can multiply. That's the answer."

Alfred Morris, on the other hand, summed it up more directly.

"As an offense we don’t do our part enough", said Morris. "Too many three-and-outs, too many turnovers that leave the defense on the field way too long."

Morris tallied 101 yards on the ground against the Trojans, taking the program's all purpose yards mark to a new level at 3,562 and counting. He needs just 84 more to hit 1,000 for the season. From a special team's perspective, Punter Mickey Groody set an all time record for most punts in a contest with eleven boots on the day.

To compound matters, the injury bug has bitten hard at a most inopportune time against key members of the roster: DE Kevin Cyrille (undisclosed), DB Marcus Bartels (ankle), and LB David Hinds (ankle). LB Cory Henry did not play on Saturday, but could return this weekend.

As FAR as the Blazers go, they are currently sitting on cloud nine having defeated then #22 Southern Mississippi 34-31 last Thursday. But it really shouldn't come as that much of a shock considering it's the third straight win over the Eagles for UAB. They are however seemingly recovered from a 1-8 start having won their last two in a row. And everything was clicking on Thursday with a rounded attack of 189 yards by foot, 236 yards through the air, and QB Jonathan Perry accounting for 285 of them. FAU will need to keep him under wraps to have any chance of pulling off the upset.

Last year at Legion Field the Owls produced some late game heroics courtesy of Michael Lockley, who blocked the would be game winning field goal with no time left, to come away with a 32-31 victory. Lester Jean had a stellar showing for the receivers, hauling in 164 yards on the night. Since FAU Fans don't have much to celebrate as of late, maybe this will wet the whistle:

As for for the upcoming match-up, here are the weekly numbers:

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

A deeper dive reveals that the Blazers are allowing opponents a whopping 541 yards of offense per game to that of 390 for the Owls. However, at 20.7 ppg they have a decided advantage in scoring when compared to Florida Atlantic's 11.7 ppg.

Is a win possible for FAU? Looks that way from a bill backed confidence standpoint, as Florida Atlantic opened at +7 tonight, and quickly moved to +6 therafter. The Blazers present an opportunity to move the ball on the ground while surrendering 220 yards per contest, but a turnover free ball game has been absent from Florida Atlantic's final box for quite some time and the yellow hankie has been tossed far too many times given the need to conserve every bit of ground gained. Regardless, if the Owls can change the trend in these two regards, believe it is doable.

Hold out for Hope.
Back to the top

If you've never been to bham, I highly recommend against the trip  ;D since our team is so bad I'll wax poetic about that game instead…the catch by Jean was incredible, probably the best of his career here at FAU. Sitting in the parking lot with a cooler, 3 buddies, a one armed crack head and NO ONE else was quite an experience.

They should have the same QB…which is bad because once he got going, he torched us. My defensive scouting report…they're going to run, a lot.
Back to the top

2 Deep for Saturday per FAU…

Of note:

Bartels, Cyrille, Henry, & Hinds, all listed; although Cyrille and DE Andrew Stryffeler are both reported as "doubtful" as of today.

Not good for the D line.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Back to the top

Rick said

Doubt they're going to catch many students. We're 0-10 and it's Thanksgiving Weekend, when most students have gone home.
Back to the top

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

I had a friend who was ATF. (Passed years ago)

I think this crap is making him turn over in his grave. Like there arent enough "real" issues that agency could get involved with.  >:(

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

I think this crap is making him turn over in his grave. Like there arent enough "real" issues that agency could get involved with.  >:(

Seriously, I think Campus PD is more than capable of taking care of that issue.
Back to the top

The said

owlfamily said

Seriously, I think Campus PD is more than capable of taking care of that issue.

Even if they aren't, the other 5,093,672,896,092,145,876,986 officers that have been at the first few contests could.

;D
Back to the top
Control functions: