Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Is Carl Pelini Right Man for the Job of Returning FAU Football to Win Column?

Sun Belt Champs Soon Enough
Time Will Tell
Gone in Three Years
Who?

You must select between 1 and 45 options

Photo www.huskers.com

Assuming Carl Pelini is in fact the man tapped for the job of bringing FAU football back to winning levels, curious what the overall confidence level is with him being selected over an offensive minded candidate?

The Owls need help at key spots on the skill roster (QB & WR), and some ready to play JUCO’s in order to get back on track quickly. The White Elephant is that there is little to nothing on his recruiting contribution(s) at any stop to gauge what impact to expect out of the gate.

Additionally, hard to argue against the results on the field for the Cornhuskers defense since he took over.

Lastly, does FAU have the money to hire a capable offensive coordinator to take this on – the real area of need?

It seems the logical thing to do was go for a coach who would run the operation and the offense (see Steve Spurrier for example) collectively, thus allowing for a strong hire at DC as well.

But, what is likely done, is done.

The resume:

Coaching Experience: 1987-88, Cardinal Mooney High School, Youngstown Ohio (assistant coach); 1989-90, Kansas State (graduate assistant); 1991, Kansas State (restricted earnings coach); 1993-94, Blue Valley High School, Overland Park, Kan. (assistant coach/defensive coordinator); 1995-99, Winnetonka High School, Kansas City, Mo. (head coach, athletic director); 2000-02, Fitch High School, Austintown, Ohio (head coach); 2003, Nebraska (graduate assistant/defense); 2004, Minnesota State (assistant coach/defensive coordinator, secondary); 2005-07, Ohio (assistant coach/defensive line); 2008-present, Nebraska (assistant coach/defensive coordinator).

What says you?
Back to the top

Re: Is Carl Pelini Right Man for the Job of Returning FAU Football to Win Column?

Not sure why Angelos chose him? Can he recruit? How can he improve our horrible offense, with his defensive background?

This just seems like Angelos chose Pelini because he could start right away ( a problem for Jim Leavitt) and would take a $400K salary (a problem for all big-name coaches: Zook, Leach).

Hope Angelos knows what he's doing.

Back to the top

Re: Is Carl Pelini Right Man for the Job of Returning FAU Football to Win Column?

As Lee Corso says "Not so fast my friend" from coaching search.com
"FAU: Carl Pelini denies having accepted the head coaching job at FAU.  I'm told FAU athletic director Craig Angelos will make a decision today.  His decision may not be announced until Sunday, but keep an eye on Florida State special teams coordinator Eddie Gran."

Back to the top

Suspect hire IMHO.  No ties to S.FL recruiting.  Track record as a DC has his defense getting worse each year.  Only HC experience is at the HS level.  And lastly, he only has about 10 years exp. at the collegiate level.

I'm willing to give him a chance.  I'll give Angelos the benefit of the doubt, but I think the key compenent for Pelini to be successful here is to bring in a strong staff with local recruiting ties.  Maybe his ties to the midwest will help bring in some big linemen and shore up both lines.  
Back to the top

owlmedic said

Coachingsearch.com also reported that Mike Stoops accepted the job, too. So don't trust that site, it's all rumors.
Back to the top

Captain said

owlmedic said

Coachingsearch.com also reported that Mike Stoops accepted the job, too. So don't trust that site, it's all rumors.

Exactly.

Although I'd like to believe them on this one since Pelini is an underwhelming and unpopular hire (if the statement is true).  Even Ted was like, "….really?"

Let's see how this shakes out…

Back to the top

If we are going to look at someone as unproven as Pelini I would almost rather look at some local high school coaches who actually have ties to the area.  George Smith at St. Thomas Aquinas who ran a pro style offense up until last year would be the first person I would call.  I can't imagine he makes 400k in his new role at STA.  He could probably pull in some great assistants from his pool of former players that went on to the NFL also.
Back to the top

owlcoholic said

If we are going to look at someone as unproven as Pelini I would almost rather look at some local high school coaches who actually have ties to the area.  George Smith at St. Thomas Aquinas who ran a pro style offense up until last year would be the first person I would call.  I can't imagine he makes 400k in his new role at STA.  He could probably pull in some great assistants from his pool of former players that went on to the NFL also.

That's absurd.  Pelini may be unproven as a head coach at the college level, but he has over a decade over college football coaching experience.  Did you notice how well the high school coach UNT hired did?
Back to the top

Good hire, not the best, but I'll take it.

Yeah he doesn't have ties to S. Florida, but that shouldn't be a problem. He has nine spots to fill for assistant coaches that all could have ties to the area.

I'm just hoping for a boatload of Huskers to transfer here in the next couple seasons…
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

owlcoholic said

That's absurd.  Pelini may be unproven as a head coach at the college level, but he has over a decade over college football coaching experience.  Did you notice how well the high school coach UNT hired did?

The Todd Dodge experiment didn't work but I would be more willing to give Smith a try than Pelini.  I think his coaching style lends itself more to FAU's offense and he has a ton of South FL. connections…absurd as it sounds.  ;)
Back to the top
Control functions: