Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

THis is what we could deal with after 1 year: ASU Freeze to Ole Miss

I feel bad for ASU, they finally get a good coach that turns them around quickly and into a bowl, only to leave after 1 Year!

Report: Hugh Freeze to coach Ole Miss

Arkansas State's Hugh Freeze has agreed to take the Mississippi job, according to a person familiar to the coaching search.

A formal announcement is expected Monday, the person told The Associated Press on Sunday night on condition of anonymity because the school has not announced the hire.

The 42-year-old Freeze led Arkansas State to the 2011 Sun Belt Conference championship and 10-2 record in his first season as a coach at the Football Bowl Subdivision level.

Freeze is from Senatobia, Miss., and served as an assistant under former Ole Miss coach Ed Orgeron from 2005-07. During that time, he coached receivers, tight ends and also served as the program's recruiting coordinator. He had a 20-5 combined record as head coach at NAIA-level Lambuth (Tenn.) in 2008 and '09.

Arkansas State has accepted a bid to the GoDaddy.com Bowl, but it is not known if Freeze will coach the Red Wolves in the Jan. 8 game.

Terms of Freeze's contract weren't immediately released, but he's certain to get a significant raise. USA Today reported he made $202,160 this season, which made him the lowest paid FBS coach. Freeze is replacing Houston Nutt, who made about $2.7 million last season.

Freeze met with Ole Miss officials on Sunday night, according to a person familiar with the search. Arkansas State athletic director Dean Lee said in a statement released by the school on Sunday that he had given Ole Miss permission to talk with Freeze.

It's a somewhat risky hire for the Rebels, who are going with a relatively unproven coach instead of a more high-profile name. But Freeze does have strong regional ties, has had recruiting success and a meteoric rise through the coaching ranks over the past decade.

Now he's got to win in the tough Southeastern Conference – which will capture its sixth consecutive national championship. He'll also be competing in the SEC Western Division against the likes of Alabama's Nick Saban, LSU's Les Miles and Arkansas' Bobby Petrino.

Freeze takes over for Nutt, who was fired following one of the worst seasons in Ole Miss history. The Rebels finished with a 2-10 record (0-8 SEC) and have holes up and down the roster. But Mississippi does have a young core of receivers – including Donte Moncrief, Nickolas Brassell and Tobias Singleton – that might be useful in Freeze's historically potent offense.

The Ole Miss coaching search was led by a five-person committee, including former Rebel quarterback Archie Manning and FedEx executive Mike Glenn.

Freeze worked at Briarcrest High School in Memphis, Tenn., for 13 years, including as the head football coach from 1995 to 2004. He amassed a 99-23 record and won two state championships, but was mostly known as the high school coach for left tackle Michael Oher, who was later featured in the best-selling book and popular movie "The Blind Side."

Freeze parlayed that high school success into a job with Orgeron's staff in 2005, first serving in an off-the-field capacity before joining the on-field staff in 2006 as the receivers coach and recruiting coordinator. Freeze was seen as an instrumental part of Orgeron's prowess as a recruiter – bringing in future starts like running back Dexter McCluster, defensive end Greg Hardy, safety Kendrick Lewis and receiver Shay Hodge – though that didn't immediately translate to on-field success.

Freeze briefly served as the Rebels' interim head coach after Orgeron was fired following the 2007 season, but was not retained by Nutt.

After his successful two-year stint at Lambuth, he joined Arkansas State's staff as the offensive coordinator in 2010. The Red Wolves broke nine offensive records that season and ranked second in the Sun Belt in total offense, but head coach Steve Roberts was fired after a 4-8 season.

Freeze was promoted and the Red Wolves took a dramatic step forward this fall, finishing undefeated in the Sun Belt. They finished first in the league in scoring offense, scoring defense, total offense and total defense. His high-powered, spread offense has worked everywhere it's been, though it's never been tested against SEC competition.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
Back to the top

Re: THis is what we could deal with after 1 year: ASU Freeze to Ole Miss

Nature of the business…Pelini is in what his mid 40's? I'm sure he knows this isnt his last stop
Back to the top

Unless you want it to be. And strange how quickly the "fates" change for Belt programs. The best team loses their Coach to a BigSix program and it's worst gains it's new Coach from a BigSix program in the same day. I think it is a sad day for Arky St. to have their dream season end this way. And at the same time a great day for FAU as our future appears brighter than ever!
Back to the top

NCowl said

I feel bad for ASU, they finally get a good coach that turns them around quickly and into a bowl, only to leave after 1 Year!

Yeah, they must be livid over there. Then again… there are still some good coaches out there. I'm sure they'll get someone else good, especially now.

NCowl said

Terms of Freeze's contract weren't immediately released, but he's certain to get a significant raise. USA Today reported he made $202,160 this season, which made him the lowest paid FBS coach. Freeze is replacing Houston Nutt, who made about $2.7 million last season.

But the fans have to understand this part. You'd have to be an idiot to turn down a 10-fold increase in salary.

Back to the top

Then they need to pay-up…last time i looked at an ASU salary, it was $225 or so…….

Bump him to $500K and he might have stayed.

Besides that just may be the toughest SEC job there is between balancing expectations and what you can actually achieve.
Back to the top

Rick said

Then they need to pay-up…last time i looked at an ASU salary, it was $225 or so…….

Bump him to $500K and he might have stayed.

Besides that just may be the toughest SEC job there is between balancing expectations and what you can actually achieve.

Its a tough job.  Hope he has a good QB.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Freeze did coach at Ole Miss and was the intern head coach for a couple games a few years ago it could have been a dream Job of some sorts.
Back to the top

THis is what we could deal with after 1 year: ASU Freeze to Ole Miss

owlcountry40 said

Freeze did coach at Ole Miss and was the intern head coach for a couple games a few years ago it could have been a dream Job of some sorts.

Yup,

Pretty sure the "Thueys' (not sure on spelling) who were the adoptive parents of Michael Oher (a Ole Miss grad, and player from "The Blind Side" book and movie) were pretty high on him coming back to Ole miss as well.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Hope they are patient people at Ole Miss. (HA!), he ain't gonna coach Ole Miss to a 10-2 season anytime soon! He is in the SEC now, actually, the basement of the SEC!
Back to the top
Control functions: