Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Auburn’s Gus Malzahn is early favorite for Arkansas State job

Sun Belt Conference and other reliable sources indicate to IBCR that Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn has emerged as an early favorite to take over the Arkansas State Red Wolves head coaching position. Former Red Wolves head coach Hugh Freeze left the program last week after accepting the Ole Miss head coaching position.

The current Auburn offensive coordinator is an Arkansas native and is said to be a front runner to take over Freeze’s spot. Freeze’s offense at Arkansas State has been built around a high-octane spread attack similar to Malzahn’s hurry-up-no-huddle offense. Arkansas state led the Sun Belt conference in scoring and total offense, going undefeated in the league and winning the conference title.

Full Story

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Auburn’s Gus Malzahn is early favorite for Arkansas State job

I just can't imagine him taking a Belt job. Hell, HE turned down VANDY last year and there are still LOTS of BigSix openings out there. Time will tell!
Back to the top

Yeah, that would be a monster hire for them.  I dont see him going there either…nothing in it for him.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Auburn’s Gus Malzahn is early favorite for Arkansas State job

Looks like he took the job

Full story

Auburn coordinator Gus Malzahn agreed Tuesday to become Arkansas State's new football coach, replacing Hugh Freeze, sources close to the coach confirmed to ESPN.com.

Malzahn will return to his home state and become a college head coach for the first time. As offensive coordinator at Auburn, Malzahn helped lead Cam Newton and the Tigers to the BCS national championship in January.

A person close to Malzahn said that not only was the coach looking for a head-coaching opportunity but that he was "looking for a change" from Auburn and "looking to move onto something else."

Malzahn, who nearly took the Vanderbilt position and was a top target for Kansas and North Carolina jobs earlier this year, was willing to take a relatively large pay cut, the source said, to step up to a new coaching challenge.

Back to the top

Wow, good hire for them, keep them an exciting O! Something is WAY wrong down at Auburn folks, the rats are deserting the ship for some reason, even for a HUGE pay cut (half a million a year!).
Back to the top

I didn't see that coming, huge hire for them.

I like that they are paying him >$800k a year this is what needs to happen in the SunBelt.  If we can get the schools to start paying coaching upwards of $1m a year it will drastically raise the bar for the conference.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Agreed Walty. But if he goes 10-2 again, he will be another one and done if a BigSix program calls and "minimum" doubles his salary. Who else is amazed that Cristobal at FIU has not been talked about much this year, 8-4 and a bowl game is a very good record. I know he just re-signed longer with FIU but still....
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Who else is amazed that Cristobal at FIU has not been talked about much this year, 8-4 and a bowl game is a very good record. I know he just re-signed longer with FIU but still….

Cristobal's name comes up all the time. Anytime a big conference has a HC vacancy his name gets mentioned. For all we know they could've said we'll triple your salary if you come to Kansas or if you come to New Mexico. He's done a great job at FIU and obviously he doesn't care what they offer and likes where he is at FIU

Back to the top

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top
Control functions: