Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Four OC Candidates

Coach Pelini has said that he planned to interview four candidates for the Offensive Coordinator position.  According to various reports (Owlaccess has named who they believe are the 4 and the names are listed in places on the site now that aren't strictly premium access) the four are:

Kansas co-OC David Beaty/WR Coach
http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/beaty_david00.html

Montana State OC/QB Coach Brian Wright
Montana State Bobcats - Coaching Staff

Toledo QB Coach/Former EMU OC Scott Isphording
Scott Isphording biography - University of Toledo Rockets Athletics Official Site - UTRockets.com

Ohio University QB coach and co-OC Gerry Gdowski
Gerry Gdowski Bio - OHIOBOBCATS.COM - Ohio Official Athletic Site

One of these four will lead our offense.  Take a look and tell us who you prefer.
Back to the top

Re: The Four OC Candidates

Didn't Coach Pelini say he was going to wait after the bowl games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only one left with a bowl game is Scott Isphording of Toledo. Could that be the man? the one I'ver heard mentioned a few times is Brian Wright…we'll see.

-Go Owls!
Back to the top

I like the guy from Ohio!!!! Strong ties to our DC and HC. If anyone has seen Ohios offense this year, its been awesome!! What does everybody else say?
Back to the top

prowler said

Didn't Coach Pelini say he was going to wait after the bowl games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only one left with a bowl game is Scott Isphording of Toledo. Could that be the man? the one I'ver heard mentioned a few times is Brian Wright…we'll see.

-Go Owls!

He did say he'd wait until after the candidates finished their bowls if he had to, but he also said he'd have his staff in place by the 3rd when they got back to campus.  I'm sure the new guy will be in place some time next week.

Any of them seem qualified, but the guy from Ohio makes a ton of sense since Pelini coached there.  Actually the odd candidate seems to be Beaty.  The other 3 have Ohio roots like Pelini.  Beaty is from Texas and has only worked in Texas (both as a HS head coach and at Rice) and Kansas. 
Back to the top

The Four OC Candidates

Well Toledo plays on 12/28 so after that all of these OC candidates will be done with their current commitments. As Ohio played already on 12/17 (and beat Utah St. in the last minute) I would think the Toledo guy is his prime choice unless he just wants to see how he handles the bowl game vs. Air Force as his "audition". And Toledo scored about 10 points and gained about 40 yards more per game than Ohio as well. Otherwise he could have chosen and had his OC in house already.
Back to the top

Wow!  Any of these guys would dramatically improve our offense.  This is exciting.
Back to the top

footballfan47 said

Wow!  Any of these guys would dramatically improve our offense.  This is exciting.

Really like all four of these candidates, but especially Wright and Gdowski.  Wright's offense would be awesome with a little Florida speed.  Gdowski is terrific at making the most of the talent too.

My one bias is that I have met Gdowski (several years ago), and he was a very impressive guy - really knows football and really knows how to communicate with people.

Any of those four would be great!
Back to the top

Ronniehuskerron said

footballfan47 said

Really like all four of these candidates, but especially Wright and Gdowski.   Wright's offense would be awesome with a little Florida speed.  Gdowski is terrific at making the most of the talent too.

My one bias is that I have met Gdowski (several years ago), and he was a very impressive guy - really knows football and really knows how to communicate with people.

Any of those four would be great!

I don't believe it will be Wright.  If he is the #1 pick, he would be on staff right now.  If he ends up the guy, then some others fell off the list IMO.
Back to the top

I agree about the coach from Ohio. I also think Beaty is a good choice/
Back to the top

Wright is the only one with real OC experince, but his offense is a spread, but not a spread passing offense….MSU averages more yrds on the ground than in the air…Toledo's offense was real good….I think Isphording has the job…

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top
Control functions: