Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

What a difference 5years can make...

What a difference 5years can make...

Article from 2006…

Houston - The Cougars are 4-0 and heading into a potentially defining game against Miami this weekend. A win against the suddenly not-so-mighty Hurricanes would be huge. The team has been on a steady path of improvement for the last three years. In 2004 they were 3-8, and none of their wins (Army, Tulane, East Carolina) were against impressive teams. Last year they improved to 6-6, including a trip to the Fort Worth Bowl (they got crushed by Kansas, but improvement is a slow process). The first three wins against Rice, Tulane and Grambling State really weren't earth shaking, but they handed a decent Oklahoma State team their first loss last week. That's a game they would have lost in the last two years.

Houston has been good before. Back in 1990, David Klingler tore up college football, including 716 passing yards in one game against Arizona State and 11 touchdowns against Eastern Washington, both NCAA records. They won't put those kind of numbers up again, but they should at least be competitive this season. Conference USA is wide open this year, so Houston stands as good a chance as any other team of winning it all.

Why did I post this???

To show how fast a DIV-I team can hit the big time…

If you asked anyone in the early 2000's if Houston would be a 13-1 Nationally Ranked team who beat Penn State in a January bowl game they would laugh at you…

FAU:
Awesome New Stadium, Check
New Energetic Coach, Check
Good Recruiting Class, Check

I honestly think we have a better chance than any other entry level (I hate calling us that) DIV-I team to move up to the next level.  Our new stadium alone gives us a potential leg up on most other "entry level" DIV-I teams.

Back to the top

Re: What a difference 5years can make...

It's great to have some new, optimistic blood on the board…welcome.

I think things are shaping up very nicely as well.  I am not sure how long the turn around will take but I wouldn't be shocked if we were bowling in 2013, I would really love to go back to New Orleans.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

It's great to have some new, optimistic blood on the board…welcome.

I think things are shaping up very nicely as well.  I am not sure how long the turn around will take but I wouldn't be shocked if we were bowling in 2013, I would really love to go back to New Orleans.

We can bowl this year if things fall into place. This is the Sunbelt not the SEC, but I do agree that 2013 is more realistic for a bowl.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

I'm calling it now, we win the belt and go to the NO Bowl in december.  Although as we are winning the world apparently ends and it ends up not mattering.  ;D

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Every time Houston is good its because they have a NFL caliber Quarterback.  Klingler, Kolb, the guy thats there now (cant remember name and dont feel like looking up).  Just going to keep repeating…we'll be as good as our QB is.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I agree 100% about the QB idea.
Back to the top

Every time Houston is good its because they have a NFL caliber Quarterback.  Klingler, Kolb, the guy thats there now (cant remember name and dont feel like looking up).  Just going to keep repeating…we'll be as good as our QB is.

Case Keenum… 100% agree.  I hope out Pelini coaches up one of these FAU QB to be an overachieve.  Can't wait to watch the spread in action.

Back to the top

duder said

I'm calling it now, we win the belt and go to the NO Bowl in december.  Although as we are winning the world apparently ends and it ends up not mattering.  ;D

Spend my last days on Bourbon St.?  I can think of worse places to be  :)

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top
Control functions: