Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU's Carl Pelini dives into recruiting!

Add topic

FAU's Carl Pelini dives into recruiting and has gone from 'no board' to a 'very, very deep' one in no time

Allen Eyestone/The Palm Beach Post
By Tom D'Angelo
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Updated: 8:06 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2011

BOCA RATON — Even before he finishes completing his staff, new Florida Atlantic football coach Carl Pelini has a bigger priority: attracting and convincing recruits to join the Owls.

And, according to Pelini, he's already making strides.

FAU has gone "from no board to a very, very deep recruiting board in about 10 days time," Pelini said Tuesday, about 16 days after being named Howard Schnellenberger's replacement and only the Owls' second head coach in its short history.

Florida Atlantic has 11 oral commitments so far.

"We've been running (players on unofficial visits) through that stadium for two weeks now," said Pelini, 46, referring to FAU's three-month old stadium. "That's going to be a huge part of this process, to sell them on the opportunity to sell them. But that's what having such a great local recruiting base gives you an opportunity to do."

Pelini already has made an impact in Palm Beach County.

FAU has commitments from three county prospects - American Heritage running back Jeremy Gaskins, Forest Hill athlete Mike Bullard and Atlantic receiver Chad Ward - which equals the number of players from the county who signed with FAU in the past four years combined.

Oral commitments are nonbinding. National signing day is Feb. 1.

While recruiting has been Pelini's priority, he still needs to finalize his staff. Three coaches have been hired - defensive coordinator Marvin Sanders, secondary coach Ross Watson and Jeff Sims, who will coach an offensive position yet to be determined - and Pelini will choose an offensive coordinator soon before filling out the other positions. He has interviewed four candidates.

"That will make all the dominoes fall into place in terms of how to go from there," he said.

Still, the coaching search hasn't stopped Pelini from hitting the recruiting trail with his new coaches, graduate assistants and Jared Allen, who was on Howard Schnellenberger's staff since 2009.

"We got out and hustled in a lot of schools," Pelini said. "The high school coaches are telling me the same thing I believe, that there's great potential here. We got kids who want to come see what we're all about.

"I think we're going to put together a really good recruiting class."

Pelini, who holds two master's degrees, said he evaluates each recruit and then tries to sell each one on his philosophy. It's part of his self-described "methodical" nature where he doesn't make quick decisions.

Pelini is the older brother of Bo Pelini, head coach at Big 10 powerhouse Nebraska, where Carl spent the past four years as a defensive coordinator. Now Carl has to attract recruits to a Sun Belt Conference school that went 1-11 this season. Still, he said he has no plans to "settle for anybody."

"What I'm trying to do is do my due diligence in evaluating players and saying this kid could be as good as that kid who committed to Virginia Tech or this kid could be as good as that kid going to Maryland."

And he is not going to back off just because a prospect appears set to leave the state for a larger school, telling him, "why not stay home and do something special here. Why go up there where your parents can't watch you play. Why not come where your parents can come over every Saturday and watch you play.
Back to the top

Re: FAU's Carl Pelini dives into recruiting!

Dead period ends tonight! Gonne be real interested in what happens for the next four weeks before signing day. Rivals reporting that we are in the lean now for another JC transfer, a LB also from eastern Arizona. Let's hope we can pull in more JC talent who will be more ready to 'step in" and do the job for the owls next year. And with goun back to a 4-3 D, we need more LB's as i assume Cory Henry also goes back to his DE position. Turn him loose next year Coaches!
Back to the top

FAU has commitments from three county prospects - American Heritage running back Jeremy Gaskins, Forest Hill athlete Mike Bullard and Atlantic receiver Chad Ward - which equals the number of players from the county who signed with FAU in the past four years combined.

Idk if it's just me, but that blows my mind.
Back to the top

Did you see the Junior College guys he landed? 2 of those guys were being recruited by major programs I.E. Arizona , Washington State, Baylor… ect…  Im wondering if there are any other JC guys will be recruited.

I know JC isnt the way to go to build a team but they are very good at helping out in the here and now.  A JC QB could be nice while we groom our stable of young QBs.
Back to the top

FAU said

Just goes to show how the previous staff was so inept at recruiting.  There are no excuses for not working in your own backyard.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

FAU's Carl Pelini dives into recruiting!

BeastOwl said

FAU said

Just goes to show how the previous staff was so inept at recruiting.  There are no excuses for not working in your own backyard.

It goes to show how local kids felt about the program because of playing at Lockhart.  There is no question about that.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

BeastOwl said

FAU said

It goes to show how local kids felt about the program because of playing at Lockhart.  There is no question about that.

We can't blame it all on Lockhart.  Those guys weren't doing their jobs.
Anyway, what's past is past, let's look forward to a brighter future.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

BeastOwl said

walty12 said

BeastOwl said

FAU said

Just goes to show how the previous staff was so inept at recruiting.  There are no excuses for not working in your own backyard.

It goes to show how local kids felt about the program because of playing at Lockhart.  There is no question about that.

We can't blame it all on Lockhart.  Those guys weren't doing their jobs.
Anyway, what's past is past, let's look forward to a brighter future.

Haha, right they recruited kids from the panhandle because they didnt want the local kids.  I've lived in the Boca area for the last 10 years and can tell you that most local kids opinion of FAU football wasn't very high simply because our "stadium" was where they held middle school soccer games.  They recruited kids in Jax, Tampa and the panhandle of Florida because they didn't have to overcome the impression in those kids heads that we played in the worst stadium in college football.

HS might have had an "old school" way of recruiting but I dont think coaches weren't doing there jobs.  And you cant just make a snide remark about the coach that founded our program and act like it should be me that just moves on in the same post.  The fact of this matter is that our recruiting largely suffered due to Lockhart….PERIOD.  If you think Carl Pelini woudl a)even be the coach here or b) be able to recruit here if not for that stadium youre wrong.

Back to the top

I agree with the previous post the stadium is a difference maker. As an outsider I am not sure, but assume the new stadium would not be there if not for Howard. I think you have to respect the fact that Howard built the program from scratch. I think CP will be grateful to Howard for laying the groundwork. Howard must be given credit. Embrace the past foundation that was provided, then support CP to build on the foundation. This is the way to fill a new stadium and build a great program in my opinion.
Back to the top

IndyHusker said

I agree with the previous post the stadium is a difference maker. As an outsider I am not sure, but assume the new stadium would not be there if not for Howard. I think you have to respect the fact that Howard built the program from scratch. I think CP will be grateful to Howard for laying the groundwork. Howard must be given credit. Embrace the past foundation that was provided, then support CP to build on the foundation. This is the way to fill a new stadium and build a great program in my opinion.

The stadium and the program would not be here if not for Howard.  Thank you for your post.

Back to the top
Control functions: