Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Jarvis and "Bigs"

Add topic

Maybe this is sacrilegious but I'm genuinely curious:

Obviously Jarvis knows how to recruit and develop talented guards. No argument there.

However, the recruitment and play of forwards and centers - "big stiffs", as he calls them - has been consistently underwhelming (not counting Royster, as he was left over from a previous coaching regime and a solid player back then). As a result, our guards have to nail three pointers to keep us in games because we can't outrebound anyone.

So… is it possible that Jarvis just isn't as good at coaching "bigs?"

This is not a call to arms saying he's a bad coach or worse, that he should be replaced. Far from it. I have a lot of faith in him and want him to be extended for a long time.

All I'm saying is that perhaps our defensive issues stem from his inability to inspire bigs to perform at the level expected. Look at recent history: Sammy Hernandez was terrible, Justin Davis went nowhere, we got next to nothing from DeMonte Simpson, Kore White/Andre Mattison/Jordan McCoy have significantly more off-nights than on, and so on.

I just don't get why, even if it's the "we can't recruit great bigs to FAU" argument, how our luck could be so bad that none of these guys worked out well for us.
Back to the top

Re: Jarvis and "Bigs"

owlcountry said

Maybe this is sacrilegious but I'm genuinely curious:

Obviously Jarvis knows how to recruit and develop talented guards. No argument there.

However, the recruitment and play of forwards and centers - "big stiffs", as he calls them - has been consistently underwhelming (not counting Royster, as he was left over from a previous coaching regime and a solid player back then). As a result, our guards have to nail three pointers to keep us in games because we can't outrebound anyone.

So… is it possible that Jarvis just isn't as good at coaching "bigs?"

This is not a call to arms saying he's a bad coach or worse, that he should be replaced. Far from it. I have a lot of faith in him and want him to be extended for a long time.

All I'm saying is that perhaps our defensive issues stem from his inability to inspire bigs to perform at the level expected. Look at recent history: Sammy Hernandez was terrible, Justin Davis went nowhere, we got next to nothing from DeMonte Simpson, Kore White/Andre Mattison/Jordan McCoy have significantly more off-nights than on, and so on.

I just don't get why, even if it's the "we can't recruit great bigs to FAU" argument, how our luck could be so bad that none of these guys worked out well for us.

He's coached big guys at St. Johns, GW and his other coaching jobs, so it is a wonder why there would be a problem here.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

Undersized power forwards do not count, IMO.

He hasn't had a real "big" to coach here, yet…

That all changes next season.
Back to the top

Rick said

Undersized power forwards do not count, IMO.

He hasn't had a real "big" to coach here, yet…

That all changes next season.

Yes, Dragan is coming (and a couple of other bigs)…..Can't wait to see him play next season…..but I'm sick of hearing "wait till next season" .

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

Great "Bigs" are difficult to get at any school.  At FAU it is nearly impossible.  I wouldn't consider Royster a great "Big."  He was great for FAU.  I will never be excited about an incoming Big until I see them play.  If we get a great one to commit, he has some kind of baggage.

If you are a great BIG, you are not going to FAU or hundreds of other Universities.  We just need to get a better Big.
Back to the top

I was wondering this myself but it's not like he's not trying and I think it's more of some bad luck as opposed to bad coaching. Sammy was not a big nor was he a Jarvis recruit. I thought Simpson had some promise but I think he wasn't ready to play Div I basketball and he wasn't there mentally for the effort that Coach wanted. We got Kore White who I think has just turned out to be a dud (as is the chance with ANY player). Kore does not play big, he has the mindset of a "3" guy and not a bigger "4" type player. Jordan McCoy can rebound the pants off White and he's two inches shorter and probably 40 lbs lighter because he attacks the basket and just has a nose for the ball. Penn is a bit of a mystery as to why he isn't playing more. Is he really that bad that we don't give him a shot? Well maybe he is now that I think of it,lol. He is fouling machine! The dude from Miami Dade was just unfortunate and probably a desperation move. Now that I work in Admissions it's mind blowing how somebody could NOT make the grades to get to FAU. We also had a guy transfer who didn't get a hardship waiver that's 6'9" who I guarantee would have made us better.

We'll have two legitimate bigs next year that will take the pressure off our guards. And shoot, if Kore White learns how to throw his weight around and box out, we can easily be tops in the Belt.

Can you imagine this team with Carlos Monroe? I'd put money down that we'd be ranked. Imagine if Simpson turned in to half of C-Los…
Back to the top

I knew losing Royster was big, but I was not expecting this. Hopefully coach can pull this together and salvage the rest of the season….Or we'll just have to wait till next year.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

I never really got the whole infatuation with Carlos Monroe.  A great player for FAU, but in the big scheme of College Basketball, I thought he was lazy on the court and in the classroom. 
Back to the top

fauowl said

I never really got the whole infatuation with Carlos Monroe.  A great player for FAU, but in the big scheme of College Basketball, I thought he was lazy on the court and in the classroom.

I agree that he was lazy off the court and probably wasn't the best character guy either..but he could rebound and you could probably just pencil him in for a double-double every night.
Back to the top

Jarvis and "Bigs"

FAUfasho said

fauowl said

I agree that he was lazy off the court and probably wasn't the best character guy either..but he could rebound and you could probably just pencil him in for a double-double every night.

In the A-Sun

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: