Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The spread Offense

OK there seems to be a little confusion the broad about exactly what the spread offense is and the details of this offense.
First the spread offense seems to be very generalized as it is one type offense when this is completely untrue. People might think of Oregon and Oklahoma State as having very similar offenses because they both run a spread but the fact is Oregon offense might have more in common with Georgia Techs Triple option then Oklahoma states offense which attempted a little 200 more passes then Oregon 5Th ranked rushing attack.

The spread offense was delveloped in order to create match up problems for defences it becomes easier to hide your best players. In insted of just lining up in the I form and having the other teams best Cb line up on your best WR. This is why so many smaller programs run this offense just to create mismatches that they can not make up for talent but as i said earlier there is a million diffrent ways to do this.
I could go on for ever about the in and outs of this offense.
Also do not forget the spread offense is not perfect it is very up and down when run well it can not be stopped but since the offence has so many elements and requires perfect execution to be effective there are many poor spread offenses.
Back to the top

Re: The spread Offense

I would add the best spread offenses have a very mobile quarterback. 

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

Also the spread offense will "spread" the Defense, allowing players to get open… The key to the spread offense is having a QB that can find the open receiver…  While a mobile QB is nice there are lots of high powered spread style offense that have a pocket style passer. 
Back to the top

In ANY passing game it is all about timing, something the qb and receivers can do all year long on their own, in 7 on 7 practices and drills and regular practices. NO EXCUSE for a bad passing game - heck, think flag football, the same idea; run your ROUTE, throw and catch! SIMPLE GUYS!
Back to the top

The spread Offense

GeorgiaOwl said

run your ROUTE, throw and catch! SIMPLE GUYS!

Then what happened last season? :D :D

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

I have to agree with you, and if Coach S. had not retired it would not have been pleasent firing the man and his "assistants".

The pre-season predictions showed us to be the worst in the nation and unfortunately we proved them right. Pretty hard to do actually. ANY pride and ability would have brought us up to say 100 of 120!

It is a new day here in Owl country and things are looking much more promising. ;D
Back to the top

I agree, but I think last season proves it's not so simple.    ;)

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

You need a good QB no matter what offense you run.

Tom Brady runs a version of the spread and I wouldn't say he is fast.

The spread is desinged to force the defense into 1 on 1 coverage which is tough in open space and allows for big plays because when the 1 defender misses a tackle it goes a long way.  That is why a defense that tackles well in space can usually stop the spread i.e. Alabama.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

On another note, I feel like we are very late to the party on the spread offense.  It feels like becoming a mortgage broker in 2007.  I hope we run an effective varation of it.  Just get a skilled QB of any kind in here and I'll be happy.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Can't wait to watch these QB's in spring.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top
Control functions: