Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Traditions... We need them.

Its that time of year again!  Lets talk about traditions…

Anyone who has gone to a college football game knows traditions and fanfair are what set the schools apart…  Each school has its own traditions to set it apart…

In Florida we have the famous FSU war chant and the Florida Gator Chomp…

On every first down the O.S.U. Beavers Crowd makes a low rumble that ascends into a loud OHHHMMPPHHH, while making the first down signal…

A good example of a recent tradition is the V.T. Enter Sandman team entrance… They play "Enter Sandman" and the crowd jumps up and down like madmen…

I can think of several schools that have victory cannons that fire when the team scores.

Howard's Rock in Clemson, touched by players before each game…

Old Miss "Grove" Tail Gate parties that require formal wear…

All this being said, we have a unique opportunity… As an organized Owls fan-base we could start some traditions.  I know there have been "tradition" threads in the past but they all seem to die out.

I honestly believe this is something we could do to help establish our football  program.  It doesnt take much and traditions play a huge role in bringing people to the games and they even help recruiting.

I open the floor to suggestions.

Back to the top

Re: Traditions... We need them.

Having riots at the ticket windows?  ;D

I do like how they started playing "sweet caroline" in the 3rd quarter. It's not much, but it's a start, and the crowd enjoys it.  I'd like to have some kind of tailgate tradition, but not sure what yet.  To do that I think we need to see some consistency on rule enforcement by the school though first.

We do have the "Owl walk" and the touching of the statue, I think that will grow as time goes on. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Traditions... We need them.

duder said

Having riots at the ticket windows?   ;D

I do like how they started playing "sweet caroline" in the 3rd quarter. It's not much, but it's a start, and the crowd enjoys it.  I'd like to have some kind of tailgate tradition, but not sure what yet.  To do that I think we need to see some consistency on rule enforcement by the school though first.

We do have the "Owl walk" and the touching of the statue, I think that will grow as time goes on.

A lot of schools have traditions built around kick offs and scores…  I know someone last year suggested a take on the "Who let the dogs out" song but instead we could say "Who let the Owls Out"… Who, Who Who…
Back to the top

mckeon said

A lot of schools have traditions built around kick offs and scores…  I know someone last year suggested a take on the "Who let the dogs out" song but instead we could say "Who let the Owls Out"… Who, Who Who…

Who let this guy on here….WHO WHO WHO

;)
Back to the top

Nunzio42 said

mckeon said

Who let this guy on here….WHO WHO WHO

;)

HAHAH!!! + 1

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

duder said

Having riots at the ticket windows?   ;D

I enjoyed the Sweet Caroline thing too. Was lots of fun.

The Owl walk is great, however the statue is in a horrible position IMHO. I wish they would move it to the plaza in front of the home side gate. It would be easily visible and I think more people would know it was going on.

Alternatively I would like to see it rigth where the players come out of the tunnel. They could touch it as they run on the field.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I feel like I'm trapped in a who let the owls out nightmare…this happens every year. Owlhog Day or something. ugh.

Sweet Caroline was awesome and people sang along but I only remember it once, did they keep it up for the final game? I may have erased the memory as it sucked so bad.

Finally, I'd like to see the players actually run on to the field like they wanted to beat someone…that'd be an awesome tradition.
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

I feel like I'm trapped in a who let the owls out nightmare…this happens every year. Owlhog Day or something. ugh.

Sweet Caroline was awesome and people sang along but I only remember it once, did they keep it up for the final game? I may have erased the memory as it sucked so bad.

Finally, I'd like to see the players actually run on to the field like they wanted to beat someone…that'd be an awesome tradition.

I think they only play it if were winning the game in the 4th quarter. At least thats what I understood. Hence the chorus of "So good, so good, so good"

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Winning football games would be a great tradition!
Back to the top

Well, we do have a few athletics "traditions"…

- We wear blue (or we're "supposed" to) with red for rivalry games (FIU, Troy)
- We shoot off a cannon after a TD too.
- We have the Owl Fingers as a general gesture but it's also raised up for field goals.
- Sweet Caroline, as mentioned.
- We do have "Owl Let the Owls Out" chant started by one guy and everybody hates it except that one guy.
- Shula Bowl, vs FIU.
- Rat's Nest is another new one - that's the student tailgating area. There's been some talk, or maybe I'm just remembering it as something I read on here, about moving it to the west side of the stadium. The problem there is that eventually that space will become pavement as part of the Innovation Village plaza leading to the Arena/parking garage retail. So it's good to keep it on the green where it is now, especially since the University has more or less resolved to keep that as permanent open green space.
- The Owl Walk thing and touching the statue, although personally I don't care for it because it feels too forced. There's also another owl statue in the stadium (?) that was a gift from Burt Reynolds and the players touch that. The reality is that the players could walk the Breezeway to the stadium and touch every surface they see along the way but if it doesn't mean anything to them, it's an empty gesture. Just my opinion.

And then of course there's "Bury the Burrow in Red" vs FIU in basketball.

So we have a few.

The guys here on Owl's Nest tried to get a blue shovel thing going here for basketball, some even paid into it, but it fell apart and I'm hoping everybody got their money back who put in for it. There was also an initiative by board member OWLUMNI to create a "traditions book" for freshmen and he even booked a room in the Student Union and everything… except nobody from this board showed up and he was pissed. It sort of morphed into the Owl Book, however, which has been given to the freshmen every year for the last 3-4 years (SGA tried to axe it at one point but Mike Burdman from SAA helped keep it alive)
Back to the top
Control functions: