Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

OK now what does everyone think?

I thought it might be nice to hear thoughts on the program now that the staff is in place and performance can be evaluated. Here are my thoughts:

Pelini coaching hires get an A+ from me. Some of these names may be new in Florida, but this is a young up and coming staff that is top notch in my opinion. For the money available I am very happy.

The establishment of the Unity Counsel to develop leadership and instill discipline is a positive move that will work wonders based upon other schools who have it in place.

Recruiting I think everyon agrees is moving in a positive direction. I have taken note that many board members did not want to talk about stars, but are now.

I think the relationship with the media is important when building a program like at FAU. Here you have the better Pelini brother. Bo Pelini has his problems with the media, Carl Pelini is much better.

I think the coaches relationship with boosters, and donors is important, but I do not have enough information to rate this aspect. Can someone help?

The Strength and Conditioning program is a concern to me as of now. I am willing to give Pelini some time to fix this because he is now focused on recruiting. This could be an issue for the Owls in this first year. If our guys get gassed as the season moves on, I will point to this as something that will need to be addressed.

Nutrition is addressed at the power schools. If we are building a program to compete with anyone on a national level, (I think we are) a nutrition program must be in place. Again I do not have enough information to comment, and would like some help.

I know about the new stadium, but do not know much about the practice facilities, weight room, equipment, and the overall staffing of the supporting staff.

I think we all agree things are moving in the right direction, I hope I have identified a few areas where improvement is needed. Perhaps someone going to the Signing Day Dinner can ask the coaches to address some of the issues that have not been discussed by the staff yet. I am looking forward to hearing your opinions.
Back to the top

Re: OK now what does everyone think?

IndyHusker said

Nutrition is addressed at the power schools. If we are building a program to compete with anyone on a national level, (I think we are) a nutrition program must be in place. Again I do not have enough information to comment, and would like some help.

Unfortunately, we don't have a Training Table (as far as we know - could be one in the new stadium that we hadn't heard about). Our guys eat at the main cafeteria with everyone else. Whether that changes under Pelini is yet to be seen.

Size mismatches are one of the main issues for us against schools like Florida. We tended to be smaller all around. Our sizes have to become more even with our "bodybag" competition if we want to become giant killers.
Back to the top

plus Coach P is working out with the players and talking nutrition with him. Ted Hutton wrote about it on the sun-sentinel.
Back to the top

So far I am happy with how things have progressed in the last 2 months.  Granted, its all from reading material, but I think we are on our way to a recovery from the last 2 years.  I still have a lot of concern about switching over to a completely different style of play, but I think our new staff can make the transistion somewhat smooth.  I think coach Pelini has a "free pass" this season since we have made such a big change, but from what I've read, he is not content with that, he wants to win.  I just want to see the fire back in our football program that we've lost the last few years.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

plus Coach P is working out with the players and talking nutrition with him. Ted Hutton wrote about it on the sun-sentinel.

This is one of the good things about a younger coach from a big program… Sports medicine and nutrition tech has changed drastically in the last 20 years…  I know the Huskers are one of the top teams in terms of nutrition and sports medicine.
Back to the top

I sure do hope CP is good with the media, considering he has a masters in journalism.
Back to the top

I am happy with what he and his staff has done so far, but to me it is a lot of "talk".  I want to see him back it up on the field.
Back to the top

OK now what does everyone think?

we are seeing his potential little pieces at a time to gauge what we think…
• first it was staff, first glance they seem good but a little green, but could be huge hires.
• next is recruiting, looks great on paper, better recruits, more sought after recruits by bigger schools and some good JUCO pick ups.
• next will be spring game
• then finally first game
• the whole season (bowling already?)

So far so good…. GO OWLS!!!
Back to the top

I think you made some great pictures.
Back to the top

NCowl said

we are seeing his potential little pieces at a time to gauge what we think…
• first it was staff, first glance they seem good but a little green, but could be huge hires.
• next is recruiting, looks great on paper, better recruits, more sought after recruits by bigger schools and some good JUCO pick ups.
• next will be spring game
• then finally first game
• the whole season (bowling already?)

So far so good…. GO OWLS!!!

If you measure the season on wins alone, what number of wins in 2012 is success from your perspective?

Back to the top
Control functions: