Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Rutgers

Add topic

Re: Rutgers

Jab979 said

WOW! What an idiot. I mean it's good for FIU that he's staying and good that he's loyal to FIU but how do you turn down a big pay raise and a job in a BCS conference?

More likely than not, he is saying this to keep the FIU recruiting class together. Don't believe it until they hire someone else.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Rutgers

Here's the deal:

He isn't ready.

He would have gone up there and got his arse handed to him.
Back to the top

Me thinks there's more to it than him just turning down a promotion that doubles your pay and at the highest level of your profession (College coaching, not NFL)
Back to the top

You think Shiano is going to offer him OL coach on the Bucs squad??

;D
Back to the top

If this report is true, it's a head scratcher. His salary would have at a minimum doubled. Either it's a bluff or he got cold feet and needs to see a shrink. I can only guess he is holding out to see what happens with Golden at UM, which makes no sense. This is strange because we all know today it's all about the $$$$$$$.
Back to the top

Jab979 said

WOW! What an idiot. I mean it's good for FIU that he's staying and good that he's loyal to FIU but how do you turn down a big pay raise and a job in a BCS conference?

Well I think it is a disastrous situation.

Let's say he did become the head coach today, that gives him roughly 48 hours to assemble a recruiting class and keep the one that Rutgers already has in place. Keep in mind, while they did play Rutgers last year and he could have some very limited knowledge of there needs, he would still need time to break down and digest the roster. Plus when is the last time FIU hit the New Jersey high school circuit hard? Sure he could convince some Florida kids to play up there (like they have been doing), but it's extremely hard to get a prospect to sign at a school without taking a visit.

Besides the recruiting aspect, it takes time to assemble a coaching staff. Most assistants won't bounce around this close to NSD and are happy were they are at. It took CP almost a month to get his guys in place, so your looking at early March for Cristobal to have a full coaching staff. After that spring practice kicks off at the end of the month.

It's just a lot of different things that would make this a difficult transition.

If I'm Cristobal a wait a season then search for the big job I want.
Back to the top

Or he is puling a Stockstill who turned down East Carolina a few years ago and now coched a two win MTSU this year….

Between Pitt and now Rutgers, how many AQ chances do you piss away and keep your Coaching credibility?
Back to the top

If I'm Cristobal I do what Delt says…I'd wait to find the job I wanted.  Rutgers isn't exactly a dream job.  And its not all about money, speaking from personal experience I was once offered a job making a ton more with a much bigger title and turned it down because I would have had to of moved to Minnesota.  You can keep your money, I'll take hapiness.

Rutgers as a program has a serious ceiling.  They aren't a program that is just waiting for the right guy to come in.  There are some big time limitations to that program.  If I am Cristobal I am waiting for a job in the South to open up…its where the recruits are and want to play.  If FIU is willing to put money into a stadium and continue building the program I dont leave to go anywhere if me and my family are happy.  In 5-7 years FIU > Rutgers in football…same goes for FAU.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Or....... Maybe another school / or NFL job is talking to him... Why take a job a Rutgers if an NFL or a major DIV-I team is talking to you under the table?
Back to the top

Delt and Walty make some good points and we'll be dealing with the same issues if CP does his job well. Also, this will make it even sweeter when we whoop FIU next year! lol.
Back to the top
Control functions: