Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Numbers game hurts prospects on the fringe

Add topic

With all of the talk about us cutting players and withdrawing offers, I thought this would be a good read.

"Rivals.com national recruiting analyst Mike Farrell, who has covered the recruiting game for more than a decade, knows it's part of the process.

"Schools run out of room, it happens all the time," he said. "You can't just offer 25 kids to get 25, you have to offer many more and, at times, it's first-come, first-served. There is, of course, a pecking order."

-'Numbers game hurts prospects on the fringe' Rivals.com
Back to the top

Re: Numbers game hurts prospects on the fringe

This is where FAU needs to take advantage.  We need to recruit the kids that fall out of the pecking order with the big programs.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Numbers game hurts prospects on the fringe

walty12 said

This is where FAU needs to take advantage.  We need to recruit the kids that fall out of the pecking order with the big programs.

I don't agree, coach P will not recruit the kids that fall out of pecking order with the big programs. Next year he will compete for the kids at the top of the pecking order. This is how you become a power. The culture of FAU being second tier in the minds of everyone must change in order to do big things. It is important to buy into the coach P culture as fans.
Back to the top

IndyHusker said

walty12 said

This is where FAU needs to take advantage.  We need to recruit the kids that fall out of the pecking order with the big programs.

I don't agree, coach P will not recruit the kids that fall out of pecking order with the big programs. Next year he will compete for the kids at the top of the pecking order. This is how you become a power. The culture of FAU being second tier in the minds of everyone must change in order to do big things. It is important to buy into the coach P culture as fans.

Schools like UF and FSU pick a few players at each position while also recruiting nationally.  There is no shame in recruiting the kids that dont end up there for various reasons (slight discipline issue, dont fit the offense or defensive schemes, didn't commit early enough, etc.)  I hear what you are saying but reality comes into play.

There are 40 or 50 kids that can play DI ball in the state of Florida at each position.  Most grow up dreaming of going to FSU, UF, Miami…kids dont currently grow up dreaming of FAU.  UF, FSU, Miami have to pick 2 or 3 so that leaves a ton of kids that are talented enough to play there but didn't commit…the key is keeping them in Florida not outrecruting them.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

IndyHusker said

walty12 said

This is where FAU needs to take advantage.  We need to recruit the kids that fall out of the pecking order with the big programs.

Schools like UF and FSU pick a few players at each position while also recruiting nationally.  There is no shame in recruiting the kids that dont end up there for various reasons (slight discipline issue, dont fit the offense or defensive schemes, didn't commit early enough, etc.)  I hear what you are saying but reality comes into play.

There are 40 or 50 kids that can play DI ball in the state of Florida at each position.  Most grow up dreaming of going to FSU, UF, Miami…kids dont currently grow up dreaming of FAU.  UF, FSU, Miami have to pick 2 or 3 so that leaves a ton of kids that are talented enough to play there but didn't commit…the key is keeping them in Florida not outrecruting them.

You are of correct. I think coach P went after this job because he saw in FAU a diamond in the ruff. He intends to change the perception of FAU football both on a national level and in the state. I believe he looks at FAU as the next Oregon State. I think he will build a program that will attract 4 star players. This will take time, but we have seen it before with schools in smaller conferences. I have already seen the attitudes and expectations of the posters on this board begin to become more positive in my short time here. I am planning to make a trip next fall to a game to show my support. I know there are some that will say "I am not drinking the Cool-Aid", but there are others who will jump on the band wagon on help build the program.
Back to the top
Control functions: