Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Owl's Nest Football Fundraiser Campaign

As noted in the dinner thread, our football team is in dire need of BASIC equipment.  I am willing to run point on this if we have enough motivated individuals.  I think that we represent a very strong following of FAU football, many of us donors at varying levels and many of us students.

I think we can all help in one way or the other.  I feel we should come to a consensus on what we feel is PRIORTIY A for the team from the list of needs and work together to raise the money needed.  Donors can contribute and request money from colleagues and business associates, students can hit the streets or hold a fundraiser (car wash etc.)

I would think we need a minimum of 10 committed individuals.  Once we have that, I'm willing to talk to some contacts within the Football department & athletics about how we can do this properly and see that the money is being funneled to an "Owl's Nest" account of some sort.

Feel free to discuss this at length, but I think with the momentum we have and the future CP & his staff want to have here, we need to have his & our kids backs and give them every opportunity to be competitive.

Food for thought, this could be as small as raising the $5,500 needed for the workout attire or the $8K for the 10 laptops for the coaches for recruiting purposes and during travel.
Back to the top

Re: The Owl's Nest Football Fundraiser Campaign

Here is what we need:

2012 FOOTBALL NEEDS LIST
Thank you for coming tonight to support our student athletes and the football program. Below is a detailed list of our greatest needs. Your attendance tonight along with the proceeds from the auction will allow us to begin to fill these needs. If you have questions or need additional information, please contact Brenda Husinka at 561.715.7671 or [email protected]. Thanks and GO OWLS!

Shoulder Pads
60 pads/$333 each Total Need: $20,000
Shoulder pads are the ultimate protection in a high-contact collision sport. Most of our pads were purchased used in 2000 from the Orlando Rage of the XFL. Since then, they have been used for more than 1,000 practices and 125 games.
Helmets

40 helmets/$230 each Total Need: $9,200
Helmets are essential to the safety of the players. With proper fitting, helmets reduce the number of concussions during practice and actual play. The typical life of a helmet is six years — ours are between six and ten years old.

Uniforms: Jerseys and Pants
150 Jerseys/$75 each Total Need: $11,250
150 Pants/$60 each Total Need: $9,000
As an Adidas school, we are the only Sun Belt team not wearing state-of-the-art Adidas Tech-Fit uniforms. New compression tech fit jerseys and pants have moisture wicking (dri-fit) technology and are lighter weight for hot Florida days. We are also looking at adding red jerseys to the Owls uniform colors.

Training Clothes
130 sets/$42 each Total Need: 5,500
Just as with game-day clothes, team members need appropriate workout gear to perform their daily activities in the training room — gear that says FAU FOOTBALL and makes the players feel proud to be part of the Owls football team.

Laptop Computers
10 computers/$800 each Total Need: $8,000
An important part of recruiting is being able to stay in touch with recruits and their families even while we are on the road. Additionally, the coaching staff will be able to accomplish more on the road with high tech equipment.

Projector and Video Equipment Upgrades: $10,000
Technology changes rapidly and our new coaching staff is in need of upgraded video and projection equipment in order to view films and run their day to day football operations.

Remodeling Daily Locker Room: $150,000
The original locker room in the Oxley Athletic Center has been used regularly by thousands of our student athletes throughout the last 12 years and is showing signs of age. Some lockers can’t even be used because of the condition.
Back to the top

SigEp77 I like the idea very much. I would love to help, but I'm unemployed, a student, and a family to support. I would love to help though.
Back to the top

I think this is an amazing idea!

There's definitely some people on here who I think could be a big help. I don't know any of you personally, but when I saw this I thought of 2 people right away. TeamBeer, and Smitty

I'm not really sure where Smitty has been, probably busy with what's going on over in TX at UIW but I think he still has a lot of contacts down here and still knows a lot of people.

Like I said don't know you guys personally, but I think TeamBeer can do a great job with this as well. He seems like he can definitely convince some of the local alumni/businesses to donate some much needed money.

No offense to anyone else of course. I'm sure there's plenty of people on this forum who can do a great job. If you think you are a good salesman and can persuade businesses to donate as well as maybe some local alum's, I say talk to SigEp77 and give it a shot!

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I think this is great but we already have an organization that raises money for FAU Athletics - it's called the Owls Club.  The problem is, there are not enough people joining - especially at the highest tiers.  Do you realize that there are only 30 members at either of the highest tiers for giving (Champions Club $25000+/yr & Director's Club $15000+/yr)? This is pathetic given all of the grads to come out of FAU not to mention the deep pockets here in Boca.  To make a comparison, UF has over 800 Bull Gators forking out at least $14,500/yr.  We can't compete at the highest levels with just 30 members in our highest tiers.

When you donate, you can specify where the money goes (football, basketball, etc) and the majority of what you give is tax deductible.  Also, the more you give, the more perks you get (parking passes, access to hospitality areas , etc) even at lower tiers.   I couldn't find the 2012 benefits chart online but here is the 2009.  The contribution levels have changed a little but the benefits are the same: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/fau/genrel/auto_pdf/owl-club-benefits-chart.pdf

Creating a separate charitable organization through the Owls Nest forum is going to be a bit involved as well.  Not to mention those that donate won't receive recognition from the university on an individual basis.

I say let's work together to recruit more people to donate by joining the Owl's Club.  

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

AND it sounds like why we need to drop the price tag on stadium naming to bring in the cash that we need to facilities and equipment upgrades. Just shorten the term to five years and re-open the bidding once we are selling out the stadium with an excirting team in the Pelini regime. By then we should be talking new arena as well!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

AND it sounds like why we need to drop the price tag on stadium naming to bring in the cash that we need to facilities and equipment upgrades. Just shorten the term to five years and re-open the bidding once we are selling out the stadium with an excirting team in the Pelini regime. By then we should be talking new arena as well!

My understanding is the stadium naming money goes to help pay off the stadium.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

The Owl's Nest Football Fundraiser Campaign

Question about the Owls Club, do you have to pay everything up front, or can you pay it off over a few months?
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

Question about the Owls Club, do you have to pay everything up front, or can you pay it off over a few months?

You can make installments over the course of the FAU fiscal year which is Jul 1st - June 30th

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

I know about The Owl Club very well, been a member since 2003.  The idea of this is the donation would come from the forum as a whole, not as individuals.  The sum would be greater than the parts IMO.

TeamBeer and I go to a lot of the events, donate money etc.  The thought was, for example, Laptops for the FB organization were purchased by the Furry Friends of FAU at The FAU Owls Nest fan forum or something like that.

Also, the Football Excellence Fund, which the above is directed at, is NOT a part of the Owl Club or athletics, it is through the FAU Foundation.

If this dies on the vine, so be it, but I thought this would be a simple rally point and we could make a quick, positive impact on the team.
Back to the top
Control functions: