Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Truth About The Contract Negotiations With Coach Jarvis

Add topic

The last time I had a one-on one conversation with Coach Jarvis was over lunch prior to the season to discuss possible donations specific to the basketball program.  With everything going on right now with his future at FAU in question, I felt it was time to speak with him again to get the facts straight. So me and another friend of FAU basketball visited coach yesterday prior to their pregame prep/practice for the NT game.  Our goal was to find out the facts about what is going on with the contract situation as there are a lot of rumors going around and I wanted to bring some truth to light.

We got to the Burrow about 30 minutes before practice was to begin and coach was kind enough to invite us into the locker room with all the players and coaches for the pregame presentation by Assistant Coach Pete Gash.  This was totally cool I've gotta tell you.  We watched video clips of every player on the NT team and Pete broke down their strengths and weaknesses in great detail and made sure each of our players  knew their specific assignments when it came to each NT player.  Then he went over the plays and sets typically implemented by NT in great detail and how to defend them.  After the presentation coach introduced us to all the players, I'd already met some and some I had not.  We then went out to the gym and as the players stretched out and warmed up, we finally had the opportunity to speak to coach.

We only had a few minutes but it was long enough to get the facts straight.  And now I am totally shocked a deal has not been made yet.  Let's dispel some rumors right here right now.  Coach Jarvis was offered $275,000/yr. base.  That's the number that's been on the table for several months now.  Coach knows this still very very low relative to the rest of the coaches in the conference.  The fact of the matter is, he is more concerned with his assistants still being paid ridiculously low salaries relative to the rest of the conference.  This issue with the assistants pay has been the real sticking point in the negotiations.  And we are talking about a miniscule amount of money he is fighting for.  Are you ready? All he is asking for is an additional $60,000 per year across the board to cover all of the assistants salaries.  Not $60k/yr per assistant , just $60K total per annum spread between all of the assistants.

So why is the deal being held up over this miniscule amount of money?  Who knows?  But hopefully you guys are as shocked and angered as I am because this is no way to build a basketball program.  Coach assured us with the new recruits coming in, FAU basketball's best years are right on the horizon.  Coach needs assistants like Pete Gash and the others to get a fair wage though.  Not only does it take a good coach and good players to build a program, it also takes good assistants.

So truth be told Coach Jarvis is NOT making ridiculous salary demands in the $500K+ range. He is NOT demanding a coach-in-waiting stipulation for his son. He is NOT asking for exorbitant raises for his staff.

So hopefully you guys will look at Coach Jarvis in a totally different light now that the facts are straight.  We've got a damn good coach who is unselfish and willing to work for a lot less than he's worth but he doesn't feel his assistants need to be under-paid as well.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

Re: The Truth About The Contract Negotiations With Coach Jarvis

Great info, thanks for posting!
Back to the top

I had a feeling it was something like this. I would assume this will work itself out and Angelos will cave…

If not, then everyone on this board, and every FAU fan in general, will hate Craig Angelos with a passion and he will likely be unable to find another AD job.

What surprises me here is that MJS has not stepped in and said "Pay that man his money!" Or should I say "Pay that man's assistants!"

Jarvis is such a good person, he does not deserve this.

And now that the truth is out, Angelos is really on fire…. We now know who is truly at fault here: ANGELOS.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

The Truth About The Contract Negotiations With Coach Jarvis

Good to know, thanks for the insight!
Back to the top

The football salaries went up across the board… I'm sure Jarvis feels his team is owed it too. But I thought I read that in order to boost the football salaries, Angelos had to get money from the FAU Foundation. Perhaps he doesn't think he can go to that well again? Who knows.

As a public university operating under the transparency of Sunshine laws, the FAU salaries are actually posted online in a report prepared on 1-31-2011. So these numbers may have increased a bit by now but this is the info I could find:

Peter Gash - Assistant Coach - 24,000 (~$380/wk)
Tim Kaine - Assistant Coach - 33,000 (~$518/wk)
Jarvis II - Associate Head Coach - 90,900 (~$1,300/wk)
Jarvis is making 176,750 (…a lot…)

$60k obviously breaks down to a $20k boost for each of the three under Jarvis Sr. (or $15k each if you include Jorge Sanz, Director of Basketball Operations)

Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

The football salaries went up across the board… I'm sure Jarvis feels his team is owed it too. But I thought I read that in order to boost the football salaries, Angelos had to get money from the FAU Foundation. Perhaps he doesn't think he can go to that well again? Who knows.

As a public university operating under the transparency of Sunshine laws, the FAU salaries are actually posted online in a report prepared on 1-31-2011. So these numbers may have increased a bit by now but this is the info I could find:

Peter Gash - Assistant Coach - 24,000 (~$380/wk)
Tim Kaine - Assistant Coach - 33,000 (~$518/wk)
Jarvis II - Associate Head Coach - 90,900 (~$1,300/wk)
Jarvis is making 176,750 (…a lot…)

$60k obviously breaks down to a $20k boost for each of the three under Jarvis Sr. (or $15k each if you include Jorge Sanz, Director of Basketball Operations)

I'm not sure how the $60K would be broken down on an individual basis.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

This is absolutely absurd!!

Hey Craig, the gate reciepts from George Mason and FIU will practically cover this. NEVER have we had two sellouts in one season and were battling over $60 grand for the staff?? A staff mind you where one member is making a few bucks over minimum wage!

I seriously want to walk up to Pete and Tim next week and hand them cash to help pay their rent. Can we start a collections plate at games for these guys?  :)
Back to the top

I've heard much of the same when I brought my concerns up.
Back to the top

I don't know if you were joking or not, but, alumn/boosters are allowed to pay or help pay for assistants.
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

I seriously want to walk up to Pete and Tim next week and hand them cash to help pay their rent. Can we start a collections plate at games for these guys?  :)

Maybe we can get a guy to stand in front of the Burrow before each home game to ring a bell and take collections.  :D

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top
Control functions: