Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Conference realignment.

More how hard Ted is on the Owls, he does make some sense. What should we do? Change conferences for the money, or wait it out?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fau-owls/fl-fau-news-0214-20120213,0,4370131.story

Flip Flop Football | FAU a target for Spanning The Globe Conference?
Back to the top

Re: Conference realignment.

If we are serious about moving up in the world we should jump on the first Conf chance we get…  The Sunbelt is a great Conf for schools who recently came to DIV-I, but at the same time its the lowest Conf in Div-I football.
Conf USA means more $$$, More T.V., More respect, More of just about everything… We would be nuts to pass it up… With that said if we went to Conf USA we whould have to step up our game… The teams in Conf USA > Sun Belt.
Back to the top

Unless the SunBelt makes some moves to create a bigger league with a championship game and fast...we have to leave.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

move to a bigger conference will bring in more revenue, and help pay off the stadium and build a new arena.
Back to the top

I've seen many reports of FIU joining the "Alliance". IMO, this will be extremely negative for us. We've been playing football longer and have an excellent facility – we messed up somewhere. Not having FIU will leave us isolated in a poached SBC with higher travel costs. It will take away recruits who were previously torn between FIU and FAU. We will lose rivalry games with FIU. I will be very disappointed if we get left behind and FIU moves forward.

No SBC institution has more to lose from FIU moving on than we do. FIU should certainly move up if given the chance, but we have no excuse for not making the move with them.
Back to the top

Lm77 said

we messed up somewhere.

It's all about what have you done for me lately. If this change had occurred at the end of '07 season in time for '08, it would be us moving on even without the new stadium and FIU likely being left behind.

While we were winning bowl games they were winning 1 game a season. Now the tide has turned and the shoe is on the other foot and it just so happens that conference realignment is happening just after FAU finished the worst season in school history, while FIU just went to another bowl game and won the SBC outright

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Conference realignment.

Jab979 said

Lm77 said

we messed up somewhere.

It's all about what have you done for me lately. If this change had occurred at the end of '07 season in time for '08, it would be us moving on even without the new stadium and FIU likely being left behind.

While we were winning bowl games they were winning 1 game a season. Now the tide has turned and the shoe is on the other foot and it just so happens that conference realignment is happening just after FAU finished the worst season in school history, while FIU just went to another bowl game and won the SBC outright

Its not all about records. Facilites, administration, budget, etc all play a huge part. I think that if the Alliance decides to go big then both schools go. IF they decide to stop at 18 they may only need 1. Both schools are very similar so it comes down to who they feel fitts best in terms of market an dedication to athletics.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I find it hard to believe that the new conference would consider taking FAU or FIU without taking the other.  Taking 1 makes no sense.  You are going to have a conference that stretches from Florida to Hawaii and have the Florida schools' next closest opponent be in what?  New Orleans?  That doesn't make sense for the Florida school or the rest of the conference. 
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

I find it hard to believe that the new conference would consider taking FAU or FIU without taking the other.  Taking 1 makes no sense.  You are going to have a conference that stretches from Florida to Hawaii and have the Florida schools' next closest opponent be in what?  New Orleans?  That doesn't make sense for the Florida school or the rest of the conference.

Who is to say that if we are asked, we accept?  It comes down to dollars and sense (yes, I spelled it that way on purpose).  Often times we are lacking in both.
Back to the top

It seems like Craig doesnt want to try and get to a conference that could play in a BCS game.
Back to the top
Control functions: