Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Early Rumors Indicate FAU NOT a part of Conference Expansion

The interesting part now is determining who is going to fill out this league, which could get as big as 24 schools.

Louisiana Tech wants in bad, and Temple is probably going to have to take some convincing.

If the league could get Temple and UMass as a package, that could be a coup for basketball and TV contract negotiations.

FIU, North Texas, Middle Tennessee State and Texas-San Antonio all resemble past C-USA teams that worked their way up from the bottom floor and grew into impact programs. All deserve to be closely considered by… how about the “Coast to Coast League?”

Full Article

I've read many articles on this expansion over the last few days, the name I hear the most is FIU, I have yet to see anyone mention FAU. Not saying it won't happen but it goes to show it's all about what have you done for me lately.

I know some of you think there's more involved then just that. Well FIU has more students than us, we have a better attendance. Overall we have a better career record in Football and we've won more bowl games. We have a new stadium, and basically the same TV market.

So what makes FIU more appealing than FAU? They are coming off their best season in school history and we're coming off of our worst. Simple as that

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Early Rumors Indicate FAU NOT a part of Conference Expansion

These aren't rumors.  This is just someone's opinion.

The only reason that FIU is getting the pub right now is that they have gone to back-to-back bowls.  That doesn't make them a better candidate anymore than it would have made us a better candidate if this was happening in 2008.  This conference will take everything into consideration (market, facilities, support, all other sports, etc.) when adding teams.  The way the team performed the previous year or two won't matter because that is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.  So just because some writers keep only mentioning FIU and not us, doesn't mean we aren't involved.  Personally, I think it makes zero sense for this new conference to take FAU or FIU by themselves anyway. 
Back to the top

You mention UTSA and North Texas…they arent exactly lighting the football world on fire.

Texas A&M just went SEC and have had a horrible 15 year run football record wise for thier standards.  Hell there were years they wouldnt have won the SunBelt.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

You mention UTSA and North Texas…they arent exactly lighting the football world on fire.

That was a quote from the article, I didn't come up with those teams.

Back to the top

Early Rumors Indicate FAU NOT a part of Conference Expansion

fauowls44 said

These aren't rumors.  This is just someone's opinion.

That is true, however I have seen similar teams being mentioned on ESPN.com Insider. Again, not saying we won't be a part of it but right now no one is really mentioning us as a team that will be added

Back to the top

Jab979 said

walty12 said

That was a quote from the article, I didn't come up with those teams.

I know, but thats the reason I dont think this is true…

"So what makes FIU more appealing than FAU? They are coming off their best season in school history and we're coming off of our worst. Simple as that"

Back to the top

Alright, fair point. Taking both FAU and FIU would make sense because there is 0 presence in Florida. Whereas in Texas there's still Rice and UTEP. Just hope the new conference sees it the same way

Back to the top

Jab979 said

Alright, fair point. Taking both FAU and FIU would make sense because there is 0 presence in Florida. Whereas in Texas there's still Rice and UTEP. Just hope the new conference sees it the same way

From a business perspective (which is how I imagine the decision makers are looking at things) you have to take BOTH FAU and FIU….they are both large and still growing Universities in a huge TV and recruiting market.  Its almost a no brainer.

To be honest, I am suprised the BigEast didn't recognize the sucess of bringing USF in and extend us and FIU an offer with UCF.  Would have been amazing to have those games every year.

Back to the top

Simply performing a "sniff test" I believe FAU has said advantage over FIU. I could be wrong…but its what I see
  1. Howard
  2. vastly superior facilities; FIU has a glorified HS stadium
  3. superior and safe surrounding neighberhood; as an AD or Conf rep I'd much rather stay in Boca…$$$…
  4. … much greater ability to generate $$$$ for the conference

Historic coaches Schnelly and Bowden hold an annual predraft game pittting Florida boys against each other on campus at FAU.

If Cristobal leaves what is that program left with?

Time keeps on slippin' into the future
Back to the top

I agree with the comments. But I'm thinking that the new mega CUSA conference will make other offers to schools when the time is right.
Back to the top
Control functions: