Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Two luxury iPic movie theaters coming to South Florida

Add topic

Two luxury iPic movie theaters coming to South Florida

A new chain of luxury movie theaters is moving into South Florida, promising to bring 500 new jobs to the area.

Mizner Park in Boca Raton and Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach are the locations set to debut the first iPic Theaters in Florida, an upscale line of "destination" movie theaters with restaurant and lounge services inside.

A 43,000-square-foot, two-story theater will transform the old Sunrise Cinemas location in Mizner Park. The new theater is set to open in May. The iPic Theater in Boca Raton will include an independent 7,000-square-foot restaurant and bar concept called Tanzy. The restaurant is connected to the theater and will allow moviegoers to dine before and after a film, or order while watching in the theater.

The restaurant will have indoor and outside seating facing Federal Highway. Restaurant fare will include flatbread pizzas, sliders and more.

Full Story

Sounds a lot like an upscale, nicer version of Muvico/Cinemark. 500 new jobs is a plus too. Especially in this economy and with the increase of students on campus.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Two luxury iPic movie theaters coming to South Florida

I went to a a theatre up in Charleston SC this past summer, i think it was Cinebrew?.  Anyway it was a great concept, they took an old (probably closed) multiplex with probably 10-12 screens and turned it into something similar.  In each theater they took out every other row of sears and installed a bar that went all the way across the row which you use as your table.  During the movie you write your order on a little piece of paper and put it in a little stand and then a waitress comes by, grabs it, then brings your order.  Near the end of the movie they bring you your bill.  They served "bar" food, cheese sticks, onion rings, burgers, sandwiches and pizza, which was excellent.  The other cool thing was they turned the lobby into a "hang out " area, with pool tables, a giant bar, couches and high top tables.  I think it was like $15 a person, but we went on a tuesday or weds and it was half price.

My point is I think we need more theatres like this, the one at muvico was great, but fairly expensive and the movie slelection was limited, something like the cinebrew place I think would be great since it is not so upscale and you could watch any movie that is out.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

That cinebrew place sounds awesome! Muvico is definitely pricey. $20 to see a movie on the weekend, but you do get free popcorn and valet parking. The bigger seats are nice, especially if you're seeing it with your girlfriend/wife and don't have to worry about someone kicking your seat or looking for a spot on a weekend when it's really busy

Back to the top

Originally iPic was going to setup shop next to Muvico in the space that eventually became (ugh) City Furniture. Back then it was going to be more upscale bowling alley with a small theater attached.

Then the Mizner Park theater went down because everyone went to Cinemark instead, so iPic took that over. It sounds to me that it's basically going to be a smaller Cinemark. Not that it's a bad thing but I think there would have been a definite opportunity to open a "second run" theater showing, you know, 1-2 month old movies at half price. I think the Mizner theater could have filled that niche instead.
Back to the top

The problem with showing discounted movies that are a few months old is the clientele that it would attract, the senior citizens. If we're ever to become more of a younger crowd in Boca this is the step in the right direction.

In ways, yes it's a smaller cinemark, but it also has reclining seats and waiter/waitress service at your seat. Something Cinemark doesn't do. Plus if you get to a movie at the palace 20 and it's sold out and the next one isn't for 2 hours, what are you going to do? Likely drive to the mall, maybe get dinner or drinks at chilis. Being in mizner there's plenty of other places to go and walk around while waiting for your movie or even after the movie

Back to the top

Jab979 said

The problem with showing discounted movies that are a few months old is the clientele that it would attract, the senior citizens. If we're ever to become more of a younger crowd in Boca this is the step in the right direction.

I see where you're coming from and I would agree that a lot of senior citizens would be attracted to that. However, I could see students going there too because we tend to be poor as well.

However, I think an upscale theater could price out students as well depending on the cost.

Jab979 said

In ways, yes it's a smaller cinemark, but it also has reclining seats and waiter/waitress service at your seat. Something Cinemark doesn't do.

Don't they do that upstairs? I've never done the Premier thing at Cinemark but I thought that's how it worked.
Back to the top

Upstairs you can order food from the Bogarts menu but they give you a beeper and page you when your food is ready. So if you get paged in the middle of the movie, you have to get up and get the food.

However, if you are going to a 9pm movie, you can get there at 7:30 and have dinner at the restaurant, even bring your drink into the theater with you.

The seats are very comfortable upstairs as well, but according to this article seats in this new theater will recline. Because I wasn't falling asleep in the movies before, now the seats will recline lol

Back to the top

Gotcha. I knew they had some sort of bar/food up there.

All this movie talk makes me wonder how the Living Room Theaters is doing. Have you guys gone? Decent crowds?
Back to the top
Control functions: