Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

TCU - Welcome to the Big XII and Jail

Add topic

NCAA College Football News, Videos, Scores, Polls, Standings, Stats, Teams, Schedule - FOX Sports on MSN

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP)
Authorities arrested 17 students in a sweeping drug sting at Texas Christian University on Wednesday, a bust that included four members of the Horned Frogs football team accused of selling marijuana to undercover officers during the season and as recently as a few weeks ago.

Police said the 17 people who were arrested were caught making ''hand-to-hand'' sales of marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy and prescription drugs to undercover officers. They said the bust followed a six-month investigation prompted by complaints from students, parents and others.

The arrests stunned the campus community, coming just one day after a thrilling overtime victory by the men's basketball team and less than 24 hours after TCU released its football schedule for next season, its first in the Big 12 Conference. TCU has an enrollment of about 9,500 students, but the involvement of the athletes drew the most scrutiny.

''There are days people want to be a head football coach, but today is not one of those days,'' coach Gary Patterson said. ''As I heard the news this morning, I was first shocked, then hurt and now I'm mad.''

Three prominent defensive players on the team were arrested: Linebacker Tanner Brock, the leading tackler two seasons ago, defensive tackle D.J. Yendrey and cornerback Devin Johnson. The other player is offensive lineman Ty Horn.

Police said they had not determined whether the four were selling to their teammates or other athletes, though the arrest affidavits raise the possibility.

In November, a Fort Worth police officer was informed that Horn was selling marijuana to ''college students and football players at Texas Christian.'' The officer allegedly bought marijuana that day, Nov. 3, two days before a road game at Wyoming, from both Horn and Yendrey.

Arrest affidavits describe clandestine meetings between undercover officers and players in a grocery store parking lot and outside restaurants, with dope purchases taking place in local homes. Police say they bought thousands of dollars in marijuana between November and February.

On Feb. 1, there was a mandatory team meeting where all players underwent a drug test, according to an arrest warrant.

''Ya, they caught us slipping,'' Brock told an undercover officer later that day before allegedly selling him $220 worth of marijuana.

He added that he had failed the surprise test ''for sure,'' according to the warrant, then adding that he thought it wouldn't be a problem because there ''would be about 60 people screwed.''

Horn had looked through the football roster and ''said there were only 20 people that would pass the test on the team,'' Brock said, according to the warrant. And asked about the drug test, Johnson allegedly told an undercover officer: ''What can they do, 82 people failed it.''

Patterson declined to comment beyond the statement released by the university.

Get the latest college football recruiting news from Scout.com.
Phone messages left at the homes of Horn, Johnson and Yendrey were not immediately returned. Brock did not have a listed home number.

Police said they had yet to determine if other football players were involved or would be charged. Chancellor Victor Boschini suggested the four players' involvement was not a sign of a larger issue.

''I don't think it's a football problem,'' Boschini said.

Officials said the students had been ''separated from TCU,'' but it wasn't clear if the players had been kicked off the team.

''I expect our student-athletes to serve as ambassadors for the university and will not tolerate behavior that reflects poorly on TCU, the athletics department, our teams or other student-athletes within the department,'' athletic director Chris Del Conte said. ''Our student-athletes are a microcosm of society and unfortunately that means some of our players reflect a culture that glorifies drugs and drug use. That mindset is not reflected by TCU nor will it be allowed within athletics.''

Brock was the leading tackler for TCU as a sophomore during the 2010 season, when the Horned Frogs went 13-0, won the Rose Bowl and finished the year ranked No. 2. Brock started the season opener at Baylor last September, but aggravated a foot injury that required season-ending surgery.

As a freshman playing special teams against SMU in 2009, Brock gained some national attention with a highlight play. He lost his helmet and still threw a key block on a 71-yard punt return for a touchdown by Jeremy Kerley.

TEAM PLAY
Which schools picked up the best recruits? Scout.com ranks them.
Yendrey started 12 of 13 games this past season, when he had 39 tackles and three sacks. Johnson played in all 13 games, starting the last eight, and had 47 tackles with 2 1/2 sacks.

Brock likely would have been a starter again in 2012. Yendrey, who also started five guys as a junior, and Johnson both were juniors last season and had another season of eligibility. Horn appeared in 10 games this past season, making one start. He played in eight games as a freshman.

''Under my watch, drugs and drug use by TCU's student-athletes will not be tolerated by me or any member of my coaching staff,'' Patterson said. ''Our program is respected nationally for its strong ethics and for that reason the players arrested today were separated from TCU by the university. I believe strongly that young people's lives are more important than wins or losses.

He added: ''At the end of the day, though, sometimes young people make poor choices. The Horned Frogs are bigger and stronger than those involved.''

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Re: TCU - Welcome to the Big XII and Jail

TCU - Welcome to the Big XII and Jail

Love the title line of this thread Walty!

:D
Back to the top

It seems you can't compete in big time college football today without having to recruit numerous thugs (oops, I mean athletes)
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

It seems you can't compete in big time college football today without having to recruit numerous thugs (oops, I mean athletes)

Yeah, I dont know if I am naive or if that is the simple truth.  I just really dont want to ever read FAU headlines like this.  Hope its not inevitable.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

The NCAA needs to upgrade academic AND especially recruiting standards and get back to college being for STUDENT/athletes and not for pure jocks just using the schools for a springboard to pro careers. THAT will eliminate a lot (but not all) of the negative influences and activities.

AND elimiate this early entry into the pros, if you choose to go to school, you are SUPPOSED to be entering to get a degree! Usually takes four or more years unless you are a brainiac type. Make the pros start their own true minor leagues if that is that they want.
Back to the top
Control functions: