Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU.....In the news?

Just a thought about FAU news coverage. There seems to be little to read at the moment about FAU football. I know it is not a good time of the year for football news, but returning players could be interviewed for their thoughts and the coaches could be interviewed as well. You see a lot of this type of thing at this time of year at other schools. My question to you is this:

Should the AD be involved to the point that he/she calls media outlets to arrange these things? If yes, is this done well at FAU? Is the acting AD doing anything along these lines?

Everyone seems to think the coaching staff is doing it's part, it seems. What about the Ad staff?
Back to the top

Re: FAU.....In the news?

Buy the way, as I write this there are 2 members logged into the BBS. One the Nebraska BBS which I amamember there are 1384 members logged in. I bet by this time next year there will many,many more members logged in.
Back to the top

What AD? He just got fired.

Come to think of it, maybe this is one of the reasons he got fired.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

Great idea and something Melissa can run with as the actig AD for now. Though I imagine she is busy with interim ad stuff instead of reading the board.
Back to the top

IndyHusker said

Just a thought about FAU news coverage. There seems to be little to read at the moment about FAU football. I know it is not a good time of the year for football news, but returning players could be interviewed for their thoughts and the coaches could be interviewed as well. You see a lot of this type of thing at this time of year at other schools.

I agree with you. I think we're all craving more information about how it's going. Unfortunately, a Sun Belt school with a small but loyal fanbase is often told it has to be grateful for whatever it can get.

As you may know, there are three true media sites that cover FAU sports:

1) The beat reporter for the Sun Sentinel, Ted Hutton, who primarily disseminates information via his blog. Ted's a loyal fan who's been with the program for a long time and earned a dedicated following as a result. However, the SS also likes to spread him around to cover the Marlins, Dolphins and golf tournaments, so he sometimes has to "step out." The upside of Ted is that he writes a daily blog, he gets video interviews with players and coaches and every once in awhile he gets a major scoop, like releasing early renderings of the FAU football stadium. The criticism is that Ted likes to fill valuable space with pictures of the dance team and when fans ask questions in the comment section, he rarely follows up to get an answer. But again, what he does get is usually good enough that it can make up for the other stuff.

2) The second source is a dedicated website, OwlAccess.com, which is run for-profit by two guys who used to be on the FAU beat for the Palm Beach Post. You'll sometimes see OwlAccess referred to here as The Other Site because there exists a bit of competitive tension between the two (long story). Recognizing that tension, out of respect to Rick and the other admins here we generally refrain from posting Other Site links to the Owl's Nest (even though everybody reads both anyway). There's no denying the extreme quality and attention to detail on the OwlAccess site, since they not only tweet from conferences/practices/games but also take pictures, compile video footage and post a daily blog. These guys, in my opinion, do the best job covering FAU and "get to the bottom" of people's requests.

3) The final media outlet is the student media itself. That obviously includes first and foremost the student newspaper, called the University Press. This reporting waxes and wanes annually depending on who the beat reporter is and right now they've been doing a pretty damn good job. I'm impressed because most of the stories go up within a few hours to a day of happening, the way it should be anyway, whereas a couple years ago you'd get a compensatory article about the football team maybe once a week. I should also mention that the student TV station, OWLTV, occasionally has some good coverage of the Owls too, but neither the UP nor OwlTV tend to get something we hadn't already read on #1 and #2.

Of course, this is the messageboard that ties it all together and has been doing so for years. For that reason, there would be no reason or rhyme to "pull" people away from this site, nor to really expand on what this offers. It has a role to play and it does it very well. Like most messageboards, members here have a dedicated "thing" they follow, whether it's football recruiting or basketball news or campus development, making this an unofficial media site in itself. The downside is, because this is a non-profit fan endeavor and pretty much everyone on here has a day job (or school), we're limited to what sort of original content we can produce. Plus I don't think Owl's Nest has media access, though the site admins do a pretty good job of getting in there anyway.

Finally, I should mention that the FAU Rivals site is a joke, as is the coverage from the Palm Beach Post beat reporter who writes about FAU every once in a blue moon and primarily in a disparaging way.

So now that we know what we have, we have to figure out what we can do going forward. I do like your suggestion of getting the Athletic Department more involved in its own promotion from the multimedia aspect. Lot to build on there.
Back to the top

Olw2Doc........Very informative and interesting...........Thank u Sir
Back to the top

The Florida Atlantic flagship, ESPN 760, also has a dedicated FAU page (www.espn760.com) with archived FAU interviews, including every football and basketball coach's show in it's entireity. There's an exclusive interview with President Mary Jane Saunders up there as we speak. ESPN 760 also runs WPTV NewsChannel 5's sports department, which in constantly showing FAU highlights and clips. Former FAU football player and current radio color analyst Jason Pugh is the weeknight anchor. ESPN 760 also provides the most free options to listen to FAU sports of any D1 school in the nation with it's terrestrial signal, espn760.com, fausports.com, the ESPN 760 iPhone app, the ESPN 760 Android app, and the ESPN 760 Blackberry app.
Back to the top

FAU.....In the news?

Owl2Doc said

2) The second source is a dedicated website, OwlAccess.com, which is run for-profit by two guys who used to be on the FAU beat for the Palm Beach Post. You'll sometimes see OwlAccess referred to here as The Other Site because there exists a bit of competitive tension between the two (long story). Recognizing that tension, out of respect to Rick and the other admins here we generally refrain from posting Other Site links to the Owl's Nest (even though everybody reads both anyway).

Actually, it has nothing to do with me, or the admins.

It has to do with the behavior of the folks running that site, and the tone that has been set by it:

1. An adamant position of dislike and isolation of this site in general.

2. E-mailing members of this site asking them to link to thier articles.

3. Having never linked to anything this site has posted by its members or authors, while having taken leads from it on numerous occassions.

4. Authorizing purchases of URL's that closely resemble the domain of this site to land mistaken queries.

5. Complaining when one of our members mentioned the Owls nest on an ESPN broadcast (that they did not pay for), just because he paid them sponsorhsip monies for other endeavors.

Marcus Nelson told Francios Rioux when he intervewied him years ago for spot in a multi segment offering in The Post (which was quite nice overall actually) that the Owls Nest was often the first place he would visit. Now, he wants nothing to do with it or its leadership, viewing both as a competitive entity.

I have tried on multiple occassions to correct the relationship to no avail.

He and his partner set the stage, not the Owls Nest.

Just for the record.
Back to the top

My opinion is that they are different types of coverage.  Owlsnest is THE message board for FAU.  OwlAccess is more of a news coverage site.

I have attempted to communicate with Chuck and Marcus to get an account set up but can't get anyone to return an email for an issue I am having so it is my opinion that it is very poorly run which doesn't bode well for it's long term survival.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

KLV760 said

The Florida Atlantic flagship, ESPN 760, also has a dedicated FAU page (www.espn760.com) with archived FAU interviews, including every football and basketball coach's show in it's entireity. There's an exclusive interview with President Mary Jane Saunders up there as we speak. ESPN 760 also runs WPTV NewsChannel 5's sports department, which in constantly showing FAU highlights and clips. Former FAU football player and current radio color analyst Jason Pugh is the weeknight anchor. ESPN 760 also provides the most free options to listen to FAU sports of any D1 school in the nation with it's terrestrial signal, espn760.com, fausports.com, the ESPN 760 iPhone app, the ESPN 760 Android app, and the ESPN 760 Blackberry app.

Whoops, yeah… sorry I neglected to mention ESPN760, Ken. You guys do an awesome job. I listen to ESPN760 for every single away game. Seriously. Great resource.
Back to the top
Control functions: