Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Chancellor Dugan Out as FAU Women's Basketball Coach

Add topic

Per FAU release today…

Florida Atlantic University Interim Director of Athletics Melissa Dawson has announced that FAU has started a national search for its head women’s basketball coach.

FAU’s current assistant coaches Yolanda Cole and Cristal Randolph remain under contract as members of the coaching staff.

FAU had a 17-13 record during the 2011-12 season and placed second in the Sun Belt Conference’s East Division with a 11-5 league record, as well as represented the conference in the Women’s National Invitational Tournament.

Kind of a shame considering the progress made this year - huge.

Normally programs replace coaches after a poor year. If that was the case, should have happened after last year. But it is what it is.

Best wishes to Dugan in her journey down a new road.
Back to the top

Re: Chancellor Dugan Fired

Sounds like she was offered a 1 year contract again (after being told she was out halfway through the year) and she declined.
Back to the top

Re: Chancellor Dugan Out as FAU Women's Basketball Coach

Thanks for the info!

Will adjust the title accordingly…….
Back to the top

Chancellor Dugan Out as FAU Women's Basketball Coach

About time but not sure about the timing.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

From the sound of it, she was lucky to even be offered a 1-year contract. I know she went to the WNIT but losing by 60 points is bad. Really bad. Our reputation probably took more of a hit than if we hadn't even gone.

Best of luck to her, as I'm sure she'll find the right fit somewhere else and flourish. And hopefully FAU can find a good replacement for her.
Back to the top

Seems like South Florida should have a TON of womens basketball talent.  The reason it isn't so great for men is due to football…women dont have that problem.

With the right coach there is no reason we shouldn't have a very competitive basketball team.

That is the most you will ever see me say about Womens basketball.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

From the sound of it, she was lucky to even be offered a 1-year contract. Best of luck to her, as I'm sure she'll find the right fit somewhere else and flourish.

Considering she turned down a DI job to coach at DII Bellarmine University, would say so:

“It is a great honor and privilege to accept the head coaching position at Bellarmine,” Dugan said in an official statement.

“I promise Knights Nation that you will get nothing but my very best, and my goal is to bring a national championship to Bellarmine.”

Release

However, this could be much more of a pressure environment…the guy she is taking over for had about a .500 average for the last three seasons collectively, and was 249-156 overall in 14 seasons.

Smaller school, but more rich in tradition.

Back to the top

I wish her luck and thank her for her time at FAU with the ladies. Had a very nice last season (unfortunately not last game though). Good luck in your future Coach D!
Back to the top
Control functions: