Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Good riddance sun sentinel

Add topic

With the scum slantinel going digital, what will happen to fau coverage?  Not many people get 7 day subscriptions which comes with a free digital subscription (I get the Miami herald wed-sun). Also not many people are willing to pay for a digital sub to the sentinel.
Back to the top

Re: Good riddance sun sentinel

It may be helpful if you posted a link to what you are upset about??

Back to the top

Rick said

It may be helpful if you posted a link to what you are upset about??

Sun Sentinel to launch digital memberships April 9 - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

The orlando sentinel is going the same route.  Their next step will be massive layoffs or bankruptcy.
Back to the top

Good riddance sun sentinel

Ahh…ok, yeah, this is what we knew would come eventually.

Banner ads simply don't drive enough to pay the bills, believe me, we know here as well!

I just spoke with Ted and he indicated that they just informed them about the move last last week and there has been nothing said about the effect on FAU coverage yet…
Back to the top

I guess time will tell how it affects it but it will certainly kill viewers for teds blog on FAU.  UCF's blog on the OS is also going paid.  Word is that they will completely shut down the blog.  Times are certainly changing.
Back to the top

An online subscription might make sense to local readers that use the SS as their local news paper but for all the rest of us around the country that check Ted's blog everyday, a subscription doesn't seem realistic.  It really has been nice all these years to look up news in different parts of the country.  As much as I enjoy reading Ted's blog, I'm not going to buy a subscription to read one blog everyday. I don't know if the SS really cares if they lose national readers. The advertising they do run is primarily for local businesses. If they had been running national advertising on their online news, like vacationing in Florida for northern readers, I wonder how much that will drop off.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

An online subscription might make sense to local readers that use the SS as their local news paper but for all the rest of us around the country that check Ted's blog everyday, a subscription doesn't seem realistic.  It really has been nice all these years to look up news in different parts of the country.  As much as I enjoy reading Ted's blog, I'm not going to buy a subscription to read one blog everyday. I don't know if the SS really cares if they lose national readers. The advertising they do run is primarily for local businesses. If they had been running national advertising on their online news, like vacationing in Florida for northern readers, I wonder how much that will drop off.

that is a good point.  There are many people around the country who read the SS.  My parents read the SS online but they only get the wed-sun subscription so they are going to be forced to pay which I know they won't. 
Back to the top

Unfortunately, the printed newspaper is an antiquated method and everybody knows it. It's costly to make and deliver, it wastes paper, it can't be updated on the fly and not many people care enough about holding a "fresh, crisp newspaper" in their hands during breakfast to keep the business afloat.

I used to work for Publix and the Sun Sentinel consistently had someone out there with subscription deals that were basically giving the paper away. Interestingly enough, a woman came to my door yesterday and tried to get me to donate to the Special Olympics by buying a SS subscription because "taking outright donations is illegal." I don't know about that. But she didn't say anything about a switch to all-digital, either.

I do love Ted's Blog though. We'll see where it goes. I just can't substantiate paying $6.95/month or whatever it is just for the blog. I don't care about the other news - that's what I have Google News for, and other than Ted's blog the SS only provides scant coverage about FAU. Realistically the only two papers I would pay for are the New York Times (digital) and the Onion (physical).

Personally, I'd like to see FAU make a bold move and take on Ted as part of their media department much like FIU did with the Miami Herald's Pete Pelegrin. Perhaps in this New Era of FAU Athletics that would be considered.

As a side note: I still like magazines because trying to flip through an online magazine is a pain in the ass; they stretch articles over several pages so they can bombard you with more ads. For instance, Cracked.com is an amazing site but the ads drive me nuts.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Personally, I'd like to see FAU make a bold move and take on Ted as part of their media department much like FIU did with the Miami Herald's Pete Pelegrin. Perhaps in this New Era of FAU Athletics that would be considered.

The problem with working directly for a university is he basically becomes part of their PR department and loses his ability to be critical and unbiased.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

I have no problem at all with newspapers charging for their premier product - NEWS! They should have done this years ago, before they spoiled us with free news and info. We got smart and stopped buying the print product in even larger numbers than before the Internet.

For this to work, however, all significant news sources are going to have to put up pay walls. And the newspapers (the major source of all news) are going to have to stop allowing aggregators like Google, Yahoo, AOL, etc. to rip off their prime products and give it away for nothing. Without newspapers, those aggregates hve no products!

As fewer people buy the printed word, newspapers must replace that missing revenue (along with the advertising they have lost due to circulation declines, the loss of most classified ads to the 'Net, as well as much real estate advertising to the economy).

If the papers don't increase revenue, they will fall by the droves and we consumers of information will have to rely on unethical and unprofessional blogs, as well as the mostly reporter-less sites like AOL and Google to fill our needs. I just don't see them staffing city council meetings and covering community issues, much less college sports.

Back to the top
Control functions: