Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun Belt to Add Georgia State

Sun Belt to Add Georgia State

"Everything is in place for Georgia State," Benson said. "This would give us 11 schools for football, 12 for all sports. This is all a part of our plan."

Link Via ESPN
Back to the top

Re: Sun Belt to Add Georgia State

All anybody ever talks about in realignment is market size.  Well now the SBC has Dallas (#5), Atlanta (#8), 2 schools that cross Miami-Ft. Lauderdale (#16) and West Palm (#38), and Nashville (#29)….and yet we still have the smallest TV contract in FBS.  I guess that just proves that you have to actually "deliver" your market to matter to TV and not just exist in that market.
Back to the top

Congrats to Georgia State…

The Sun Belt however will continue to be the bottom NCAA conference.  This isnt a bad thing as there is a need for a transition conference for schools going from NCAA Div II to Div I.  Unfortunately we will never be anybody until me move out of the Sun Belt… You could win the Sun Belt every year for 10 years and you wouldnt be counted among the top programs.
Back to the top

This move is being touted as a "positioning for the future", but tend to agree with you in that the addition of another transitioning program is not really the kind of confirmation of "you are on the rise" that fans are looking for.

The Panthers will be a familiar face for FAU though in hoops, they used to play against each other quite a bit in the TAAC, and A-Sun.
Back to the top

GSU fan here that is looking forward to joining the Sun Belt with FAU, especially since I live in Delray Beach.  You guys have an amazing stadium and cannot wait to see GSU play there in a couple of years.
Back to the top

Nice addition to the SBC line up, but what about the rumors of FIU and NT possibly leaving to the new merger super conference?
Back to the top

GSU said

GSU fan here that is looking forward to joining the Sun Belt with FAU, especially since I live in Delray Beach.  You guys have an amazing stadium and cannot wait to see GSU play there in a couple of years.

Welcome to the forum GSU is in Atlanta!

Glad to have you aboard :)
Back to the top

Rick said

GSU said

GSU fan here that is looking forward to joining the Sun Belt with FAU, especially since I live in Delray Beach.  You guys have an amazing stadium and cannot wait to see GSU play there in a couple of years.

Welcome to the forum GSU is in Atlanta!

Glad to have you aboard :)

Thanks!  I went to a couple of games this past fall and really had a good time (minus FAU losing), and hope to go to some this coming fall season.

I have talked to a couple of people who have mentioned that there is a 50/50 chance that a couple of CUSA teams might be defecting to the SBC & MAC, but that is all speculation, but would be a good thing to happen.

Before all the conference realignment took place, I thought that CUSA was greater than SBC, but after it lost Houston, Memphis, UCF, and SMU I reconsidered it and think that SBC is starting to look like an smaller SEC-esque conference with the locations of its teams and cities in which they are located.  I know that I will get ripped for that, but it all depends on leadership and vision that the conference commissioners have, and right now Benson to me has a better vision.
Back to the top

The Sun Belt is not at the bottom of I-A. It's better than the MAC, WAC and close to that of CUSA.

Benson must know that one or more Sun Belt teams are leaving, because adding GSU is a big plus for that school and a big downer for our conference.

GSU has, at best, a marginal football following, its basketball is mediocre and facilities are not impressive. It's a commuter school in a city and state that cares about UGA, then GT and then, far down the line, Ga. Southern, Ga. State, etc.

This move is fantastic for a school trying to crawl into I-A football with a small budget and following, but it ensures that the Sun Belt takes another step backward in prestige and winning potential.

I have been all for keeping our conference together and building it into a power. But with this move, I am rethinking that belief in favor of wanting a move by FAU and Troy to conferences that are not stepping stones for I-AAs and newcomers to football.

What's next, Ave Maria, FGCU?
Back to the top

BMarkey said

GSU has, at best, a marginal football following, its basketball is mediocre and facilities are not impressive. It's a commuter school in a city and state that cares about UGA, then GT and then, far down the line, Ga. Southern, Ga. State, etc.

You just described FAU, save for the football stadium that was rectified 8 months ago.
Back to the top
Control functions: