Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

New Aacademic Standards here at FAU

Add topic

Just thought I would update everyone on how good the fall 2012 freshmen class is: Two seniors in high school were denied admission to FAU with high B GPA's and 1700s on the SAT. These are good academics that should land a student into UCF, USF, and even possibly FSU or UF.

This classes average is also somewhere around the 1700 range which is VERY high compared to recent years. Hopefully they will publish final numbers in a month or two.

The football stadium, new residence halls (with plans for more), increased exposure nationally, has certainly helped Florida Atlantic reach out to a plethora of students who not only are extremely bright, but they WANT to come to our university.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Re: New Aacademic Standards here at FAU

NJOWL said

Just thought I would update everyone on how good the fall 2012 freshmen class is: Two seniors in high school were denied admission to FAU with high B GPA's and 1700s on the SAT. These are good academics that should land a student into UCF, USF, and even possibly FSU or UF.

This classes average is also somewhere around the 1700 range which is VERY high compared to recent years. Hopefully they will publish final numbers in a month or two.

The football stadium, new residence halls (with plans for more), increased exposure nationally, has certainly helped Florida Atlantic reach out to a plethora of students who not only are extremely bright, but they WANT to come to our university.

While higher standards are good, last I heard you needed an A average for UCF, USF and a solid A average for FSU and especially UF. We are improving but let's be realistic. 
Back to the top

New Aacademic Standards here at FAU

Lago said

NJOWL said

I know students from my area that got into those schools with those types of numbers. We are not that far off. We are a budding school, growing faster than anything, in a prime area for both living and finding a job, and our education comes extremely cheap.

While higher standards are good, last I heard you needed an A average for UCF, USF and a solid A average for FSU and especially UF. We are improving but let's be realistic.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

I know students in my area that got into those schools with lower numbers than I posted. You are selling us short. We are in a great area, cheap education, and we are a budding/growing school.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

I'll be interested to see the final numbers. Even if they're high, I expect the numbers to be high across the board at the Big Six (UF, FSU, FAU, FIU, UCF, USF).

NJOWL, you're starting this Fall, right? What's your intended major?
Back to the top

This will clear it up……

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

FAU - Freshman Requirements

Freshman Applicants

Page Not Found

http://admissions.fsu.edu/freshman/admissions/requirements.cfm

University of Florida - Admissions

Seems like FAU is the lowest in the state.  I remember when I was applying to different universities, you could have a C average and get into FAU.

Back to the top

Aqualung said

This will clear it up……

FAU - Freshman Requirements

Freshman Applicants

Page Not Found

http://admissions.fsu.edu/freshman/admissions/requirements.cfm

University of Florida - Admissions

Seems like FAU is the lowest in the state.  I remember when I was applying to different universities, you could have a C average and get into FAU.

We yeah compared to those schools, but we have been catching ground on them and fast, that's for sure!  We are not the lowest in the state by any means.  FGCU, which is become VERY popular is below us, as is UNF and UWF.  FIU doesn't know how to count so anything that deals with numbers they just give up on.
Back to the top

Aqualung said

Seems like FAU is the lowest in the state.

Incorrect.

FGCU's average GPA was 3.3, lowest in the state.

The others:
- UF: 4.19
- UCF: 3.9
- FSU: 3.8
- USF: 3.8
- FIU: 3.7
- UWF and FAU both had 3.4.

Interesting enough, UNF claims an average GPA of 3.84. I had no idea it was that high… but good for them.
Back to the top

I don't know how a university can set a "standard". The freshman GPA is 100% dependent on who and how many apply.  The biggest reason for picking high GPAs is it gives more assurance that a student will be able to complete his/her degree. Universities don't want want drop outs but do want retention. The other benefit of high GPAs is it does create a more serious and competitive environment.  If 100% of the applications received by a university are C students, what is the university going to do? No matter what "standard" they have set, their pool of applications is a C. If that university had to admit all 2.0 students,  most of them might not be around after 2 quarters.

Someone in the past might have gotten in to FAU with a C but how long would they last?  I saw lots and lots of what appeared to be marginal students not make it. the drop out rate in accounting back then was 80%. that is the big risk of accepting lower GPA students. They can't keep up or compete. Whom ever graduated with a degree in accounting at FAU did good and probably worked theirs butts off.

I think what has hurt FAU over the years is it developed into a commuter school and was not in a major metropolitan area like UCF, FIU, USF and UNF. Gainesville is not a major metropolitan area but UF is the flagship university in the state and it is a "college town". I think Boca had a population of about 10,000 in 1964 and I95 wasn't there yet. The number of students applying to FAU has never been high until the last year.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

I'll be interested to see the final numbers. Even if they're high, I expect the numbers to be high across the board at the Big Six (UF, FSU, FAU, FIU, UCF, USF).

NJOWL, you're starting this Fall, right? What's your intended major?

I am interested in a career in law, but do not see a point in getting a political science degree. I will likely major in Business Management and then go on to law school.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top
Control functions: