Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU to play UM

FAU will play UM in football
We have a 2013 Game at Sun-Life then UM comes to Boca in 2015 and we go back to Sun-Life 2016.
Also 2015 you should have to buy season tickets to get a ticket to the UM game.
Back to the top

Re: FAU to play UM

Who knows, maybe by 2015 we can give them a run for their money at home.

This is great news for a home game, now we need the rest of the Florida teams to agree to some home games as well.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

now we need the rest of the Florida teams to agree to some home games as well.

FSU and USF, particularly.

I have to wonder if this deal finally got done because Schnellenberger is no longer obstructing it ("I won't play Miami for less than a million dollars" or whatever he said) OR it was just Angelos that couldn't make it happen.

I'm also wondering what Miami gets out of this. It's certainly not about money, nor recruiting, nor is it about finally playing in front of their fans in a different region of Florida - people from Boca will drive to Miami - so it can only be about the chance for another W.

Pelini's got to get this team in asskicking shape for 2014 at Nebraska and now 2015 for Miami. Obviously he cares more about the former but he's smart enough to know what UMiami@Boca means.
Back to the top

I don't know if this was Melissa Dawson's doing, but if it was she's gotten done more in the last 3 weeks than Angelos did in 7 years or however long he was at FAU

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Official release

http://www.fausports.com/sports/m-footbl...12aaa.html

Football to Play Three Game Series with University of Miami

April 21, 2012

BOCA RATON, FL - Florida Atlantic University's athletics department has agreed to a three-game series with south Florida neighbor University of Miami, announced Melissa Dawson, FAU's interim athletics director.

The three game set will begin with the Owls traveling to Miami on Saturday, August 31, 2013. The season opener will be the second season under the direction of Carl Pelini, FAU's newly hired head coach.

"It's a great match-up," said Pelini. "Miami is a prestigious program of which we would like to emulate. It will be great for our players to challenge the names they played against in high school and for the fans to have a close away game to attend."

FAU will then play host to the Miami Hurricanes in 2015, with a date yet to be determined. The game will mark the first time the Hurricanes will play in Palm Beach County and the first time UM has played an away game south of Tampa. FAU will return to Miami in 2016.

To purchase 2012 season tickets visit ticketmaster.com or call 1-866-FAU-Owls.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Schnellenberger had this to offer on the announcement:

"I'm thrilled to death that FAU and UM are going to face-off on the gridiron."

"It is part of the big plan and may develop into a wonderful addition to south Florida football."

Back to the top

Jab979 said

I don't know if this was Melissa Dawson's doing, but if it was she's gotten done more in the last 3 weeks than Angelos did in 7 years or however long he was at FAU
Agreed.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

FAU to play UM

Jab979 said

I was no big fan of Angelos, but that's not really fair.  Angelos did oversee the transition from I-AA to I-A.  He did hire 3 pretty good basketball coaches.  He oversaw the arena renovation.  And most importantly got the stadium built.

FAU athletics was on a downward path and Melissa has seemingly righted the ship by getting the Jarvis deal done and now closing this UM deal.  We'll never know if either would have occured under Angelos, but so far, so good for Dawson.  That said, I'm in no way calling for her to be the permanent AD (I think we need more of an expert in fundraising/marketing for that role), but she should definatley play a big role in the department going forward.
Back to the top

The only real test for any of our AS's is to make sure FIU does not jet to another conference without us.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Jab979 said

I was no big fan of Angelos, but that's not really fair.  Angelos did oversee the transition from I-AA to I-A.  He did hire 3 pretty good basketball coaches.  He oversaw the arena renovation.  And most importantly got the stadium built.

FAU athletics was on a downward path and Melissa has seemingly righted the ship by getting the Jarvis deal done and now closing this UM deal.  We'll never know if either would have occured under Angelos, but so far
, so good for Dawson.  That said, I'm in no way calling for her to be the permanent AD (I think we need more of an expert in fundraising/marketing for that role), but she should definatley play a big role in the department going forward.
You have to admit that some very positive things have transpired in the brief time since his departure.  These are perhaps deals that were in negotiations that had gone stagnant (Jarvis's contract for sure) while Craig awaited his fate- but they were closed pretty quickly once he left. If Melissa was the one that finally nailed these down,  then I've gotta give her some credit.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top
Control functions: