Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Pre-Snap Read FAU comes in at 116...

Pre-Snap Read: A College Football Blog

Recent Sun Belt coaching moves have gone in the opposite direction. Over the last two years, Arkansas State has hired Hugh Freeze and Gus Malzahn. In 2010, Western Kentucky hired former Stanford running backs coach Willie Taggart. Louisiana-Lafayette tabbed Mark Hudspeth last winter; Louisiana-Monroe hired Todd Berry prior to the 2010 season. The conference as a whole has shifted towards an offense-first mentality, to often exciting, he-who-has-the-ball-last-wins results. When Howard Schnellenberger announced his intent to retire at the end of last season, the belief was that Florida Atlantic would follow the rest of the Sun Belt’s lead, perhaps nabbing a Freeze-like up-and-coming assistant. The Owls did nothing of the sort. In Carl Pelini, the university hired the sort of nail-chewing, fire-spewing defensive coach who thinks of offense the same way defensive linemen think of their offensive counterparts: with disdain. And in Pelini, the Owls might have hired the orneriest son-of-a-gun in college football. Don’t think for a second that being ornery is a bad thing….

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: Pre-Snap Read FAU comes in at 116...

"When Pelini’s system is in place, the Owls’ defense will be the only one of its kind in the Sun Belt. When he has his pieces, Pelini will put together the league’s best defense."

Good times…….

Let's Hope it happens.
Back to the top

I think he has some pretty good pieces to play with this season. But the 116 is about right until these guys decide to wake up and prove the naysayers wrong. We sucked BIG TIME last year and their attitude was a big part of that and apparantly it still has to change! A few wins will do that in a hurry though! that and Coach P showing a few of them the exit door if need be!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I think he has some pretty good pieces to play with this season. But the 116 is about right until these guys decide to wake up and prove the naysayers wrong. We sucked BIG TIME last year and their attitude was a big part of that and apparantly it still has to change! A few wins will do that in a hurry though! that and Coach P showing a few of them the exit door if need be!

I think for the first time since they began playing football at FAU players on this team are legitimately scared, they actually fear the coach and that's a good thing. With all due respect to Howard, these kids knew they could get away with anything and still be playing on Saturday and if they didn't do well on Saturday, oh well, whatever they still had their big party after the game that their friends were throwing at the clubs.

I think there's more of a sense of urgency, these kids know if they goof off and don't give it their all then they'll find themselves riding the pine on Saturday's

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

A few of the players I know are excited about the change in attitude with the team. A player in my class had to leave practice because they were running long at practice to make it to class. His coach told him to go. Coach P wants accountability and players to attend class. I expect big things this season.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

A few of the players I know are excited about the change in attitude with the team. A player in my class had to leave practice because they were running long at practice to make it to class. His coach told him to go. Coach P wants accountability and players to attend class. I expect big things this season.

It's a good thing but I'm not sure that's a new development because I taught football players on practice days and they were never late to class.
Back to the top

Last year could have been 4-8 with a coaching staff that actually wanted to coach.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

Jab979 said

I think for the first time since they began playing football at FAU players on this team are legitimately scared, they actually fear the coach and that's a good thing. With all due respect to Howard, these kids knew they could get away with anything and still be playing on Saturday and if they didn't do well on Saturday, oh well, whatever they still had their big party after the game that their friends were throwing at the clubs.

Exactly.
Back to the top

Pre-Snap Read FAU comes in at 116...

Owl2Doc said

Jab979 said

Exactly.

I hear both of you guys…however, you think players at the Miami under Butch and JJ were scared?  I know they werent scared under Meyer and they won a lot of football games. 

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Rick said

"When Pelini’s system is in place, the Owls’ defense will be the only one of its kind in the Sun Belt. When he has his pieces, Pelini will put together the league’s best defense."

Good times…….

Let's Hope it happens.

What do you think is the legitamate time frame for this to happen?  You have to say by his 3rd season it'll be considered "in place" right?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: