Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Why you shouldnt go bat crap crazy because FIU got into CUSA...

Next Step For Sun Belt

Yes I know it stings many that FIU is getting a "bump" in confrence perception. I suggest you read this article.

There is OPPORTUNITY that FAU needs to capitalize on, and I think we will.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: Why you shouldnt commit suicide because FIU got into CUSA...

A quote from the article link;

"In a time when attendance figures are down nationally due to the economy and more College Football games being on TV, there were actually 4 Sun Belt schools who posted higher attendance numbers in 2011 than they did in 2010. FAU, Louisiana, Arkansas State, and Western Kentucky all improved their attendance numbers. The Ragin Cajuns actually increased their average attendance by 11,788, the single largest attendance improvement in 2011."

Funny, but think CUSA should have noticed a name missing on the attendance gain list - FIU actually decreased per game home attendance in THEIR BEST SEASON EVER! Now imagine what CUSA admins will be thinking if they go 3-9 or worse OR Coach C. leaves and the team falters even worse and the attendance drops back to the 10K or less range….
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

A quote from the article link;

"In a time when attendance figures are down nationally due to the economy and more College Football games being on TV, there were actually 4 Sun Belt schools who posted higher attendance numbers in 2011 than they did in 2010. FAU, Louisiana, Arkansas State, and Western Kentucky all improved their attendance numbers. The Ragin Cajuns actually increased their average attendance by 11,788, the single largest attendance improvement in 2011."

Funny, but think CUSA should have noticed a name missing on the attendance gain list - FIU actually decreased per game home attendance in THEIR BEST SEASON EVER! Now imagine what CUSA admins will be thinking if they go 3-9 or worse OR Coach C. leaves and the team falters even worse and the attendance drops back to the 10K or less range….

That's not true, their source is wrong. Attendance was up significantly, about 18% for the year. Additionally, home games against UCF and DUKE were standing room only, with overflows throughout the concourse levels.

Again, good luck in the Belt.
Back to the top

Look - there is really no good spin to this story. FAU blew a pretty big opportunity missing out on Conference USA (for whatever reason(s)). It's not the Big East (not that the Big East is great), but it is a definite step up from the Belt.

Congrats to FIU.
Back to the top

Gotta agree, congrats to FIU for the move up, and yes it is still a move up even if slightly diluted. Do Florida proud.
Back to the top

Why you shouldnt go bat crap crazy because FIU got into CUSA...

My regards to all my longtime Owls friends.

The article has several factual errors that, perhaps with a specific reason behind it, which affects the overall message the writer wishes to convey.

FIU's average attendance for 2010 was 16,544

FIU's average attendance for 2011 was 18,411

Don't base any comments on the factual errors by articles by this, since the writer wanted to make a point, disregarding truth and facts in his quest to make such point.

Other than that, I truly wish we could keep our series going on for years to come past 2012.  I understand the reasons of why not to by what some FIU fans wish and several FAU fans have expressed here, but there's a part of me that feels this is a game that should be continued, regardless of some petty feelings some of our fans (including a part of me) might feel.

FIU Panthers football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Back to the top

Well that's one of the reasons why us Owls are so upset.  Knowing the culture of things down there, we already know that the FIU athletics department will never want to have a series with FAU.  This makes us mad because of arrogance on the part of the FIU athletics(no disrespect), and now we're left with no rival.
Other reasons why we are mad are because we just built a beautiful new stadium, and have plans for an arena and baseball stadium, and we're getting nothing.  All the while 2 schools which have played football for a combined 1 year, are getting the nod over us.
Sadly, we can't take out this frustration out on anybody else, but the FIU sports teams and its fans.  We fired Angelos already, so we can't give him a piece of our mind.  We can't go to the FIU AD's office and plea for him to continue the rivalry, we can't go to the commissioner of CUSA and show him all the great things we have going on in Boca, we can't do anything to change the situation.  So we can only take it out on the people that represent FIU, and that's it's sports teams and fans.  I wish it weren't that way, but it is.  I've never hated FIU more than I do no, and the only reason why I do is for jealousy.  Best of luck in CUSA, I still think you suck.
Back to the top

FIU fans, you can go ahead and keep pointing to that ridiculous attendance number, but we all know it's made up.  Maybe you sold out for UCF (thanks to thousands of Knights fans), but I watched the Duke game and there were plenty of empty seats.  I was at the FAU game and there was not anywhere close to the 17000+ you announced.  You honestly can't believe that the season average of 18,411 is the real number.  Your own website lists your total capacity at 18,000.  Are you trying to claim you averaged 102% capacity?  You can point to whatever numbers you want, but come on….we all have eyes.

And why exactly are you guys here anyway?  We don't need you to comfort us.  Yes, we are annoyed you got an invite over us.  We are mostly angry that our leadership seemingly dropped the ball, not because you are leaving the conference.  Believe me, we'll be just fine.  Conference realignment isn't over and this version of the CUSA is far from the ultimate goal.  So congrats, but go celebrate on your own board or with your new contemporaries like Charlotte, UTSA, and Old Dominion…
Back to the top

FAUowls44, with all due respect, I'm just pointing out an error in the article in…again…omitting a fact that can't be disproved in terms of reported attendance.  No more and no less than that.  No need to get mad at me.  Geez… ::)

Now, your OPINION of attendance at Duke-FIU game is pretty interesting for someone that wasn't there.  Obviously, I was there, and I can tell you it was fairly close to a sell out….and not many Duke fans there.  But if that makes you feel good, that's ok.

I didn 't come here to celebrate for any dumb and/or immature reason that I might have, which you can try to make up in, just as I've come here for years, I just wanted to make a comment based on factual errors in the article linked above while at the same time bringing one personal comment on our series.  Your response to me and some other FIU fans here is completely unwarranted, since I haven't been disrespectul nor aggresive in these forums.  
Back to the top

FIUFanatic said

FAUowls44, with all due respect, I'm just pointing out an error in the article in…again…omitting a fact that can't be disproved in terms of reported attendance.  No more and no less than that.  No need to get mad at me.  Geez… ::)

Now, your OPINION of attendance at Duke-FIU game is pretty interesting for someone that wasn't there.  Obviously, I was there, and I can tell you it was fairly close to a sell out….and not many Duke fans there.  But if that makes you feel good, that's ok.

I didn 't come here to celebrate for any dumb and/or immature reason you can try to make up in your mind, just as I've come here for years, I just wanted to make a comment based on factual errors in the article linked above while at the same time bringing one personal comment on our series.  Your response to me and some other FIU fans here is completely unwarranted, since I haven't been disrespectul nor aggresive in these forums.

FIU Fanatic has always been one of the good ones down there.  Never means harm, just rooting for the wrong team.  That poor guy… ;)
Back to the top
Control functions: