Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Names Kellie Lewis-Jay Head Women’s Basketball Coach

Add topic

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Florida Atlantic University has named Kellie Lewis-Jay as its women’s basketball head coach, announced Melissa Dawson, FAU’s interim director of athletics. Lewis-Jay, who has signed a five-year contract, is the fourth head coach in the young program’s 28-year existence.

“We are excited to welcome Kellie Lewis-Jay into the FAU family,” Dawson said.  “Coach Jay has achieved success at every level as a player, club and high school head coach, and most importantly, as an assistant at the collegiate level. It was important for us to find a coach that would be passionate about developing our student-athletes as individuals, students and athletes. We have found that in Kellie.”

Lewis-Jay has vast playing, coaching and NCAA Tournament experience across three major conferences and comes to FAU as an accomplished student, athlete, coach and mentor. She spent the last five seasons at Nebraska, where she coordinated the Cornhuskers’ recruiting efforts resulting in a top-25 recruiting class in 2011. Lewis-Jay also assisted with on-court coaching responsibilities, including opponent scouting, and was responsible for developing Nebraska’s guard play.

“Today marks a new beginning for the FAU women’s basketball team, and I am happy that Kellie Lewis-Jay will be at the helm as the leader,” said FAU President Mary Jane Saunders. “I look forward to what lies ahead for FAU women’s basketball, as well as the excitement she will bring for the team and its fans.”

In her five seasons in Lincoln, Lewis-Jay helped the Huskers to four postseason tournament appearances, including three trips to the NCAA Tournament and the program’s first Sweet Sixteen.  In 2009-10, the Huskers recorded the best season in school history with a 32-2 record, a perfect 16-0 conference mark, and the school’s first Big 12 regular-season crown.

“I would like to thank FAU President Mary Jane Saunders and Melissa Dawson for the opportunity presented to me,” said Lewis-Jay, FAU’s newly hired head women’s basketball coach. “I look forward to building a foundation of success starting with the young women currently representing our program. I also would like to thank the University of Nebraska and Connie Yori for an amazing five years and June Daugherty, at the University of Washington, for giving me a great opportunity. Florida Atlantic University has a bright future, I am honored to represent this program and lead it to a championship level.”

Source: FAUSports.com

The Lewis-Jay File

Assistant Coach, Nebraska (2007-2012)
Assistant Coach, Washington (2003-07)
Head Coach/Co-Founder, Idaho Elite (1999-2003)
Head Coach, Bishop Kelly High School (1998-2003)
Back to the top

Re: FAU Names Kellie Lewis-Jay Head Women’s Basketball Coach

FAU Names Kellie Lewis-Jay Head Women’s Basketball Coach

This seems to be a good find!!! I'm excited. I wish Kellie much success!!  :)

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

It is a great get. The Husker/FAU connection continues.
Back to the top

Florida Atlantic women's basketball coach Kellie Lewis-Jay has announced Wright State University's Harry Elifson, and former Syracuse standout Vera Jones as assistant coaches.

“Harry is a tireless worker, his work ethic and attention to detail will be extremely valuable as we look to the future of Florida Atlantic women’s basketball,” said Lewis-Jay.  “He has been a big part of building winning programs and his experience will help us lay the foundation for success.”

Elifson helped the Raiders achieve consecutive 20-win seasons and appearances in the Women’s Basketball Invitational. Prior to the stint, he served as an assistant at South Florida, where he played a pivotal role in the signing Jessica Dickson of the WNBA.

“Vera is a proven leader and motivator, as an Author of multiple books and she is a sought after public speaker,” said Lewis-Jay.  “She has conducted numerous team building/motivational workshops throughout the country and our team will be immediately affected by her expertise.  Vera has a presence that will capture both the fans and prospective student athletes alike."

Jones also served as a WNBA and college basketball television color analyst for ESPN, and Fox Sports Net.

Back to the top
Control functions: