Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

If the SBC goes to 12 for Football....

Who do you want?

Right now the consensus on the Sun Belt Board seems to be of the 2 below scenarios:

1.) Extending a life raft to NMSU and Idaho for FOOTBALL only membership.

Advantages: Existing FBS programs, Gets a championship game, No FCS move up Stigma
Disadvantages: Horrible Distance, Both programs are not good, Castaway rep for the SBC.

2.) Inviting App State and Georgia Southern full sports

Advantages: Good FCS program history with muliple championships for both, Championship game, Regional footprint solidified.
Disadvantages: FCS Startup stigma for SBC again, APP State travel is hard, No local interest.

Neither is set, and TBH the commisioner has not stated he wants 12 anyway, but many seem to feel that the SBC should do it and joing the 'Big Boy" club with a championship game.

So if you HAD to choose, which of these 2 would you choose?

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: If the SBC goes to 12 for Football....

I'd rather go the FCS route. Ga Southern is a great FCS program and App state has won a lot of championships at that level recently. Plus we've already had NMSU in the belt. There's no reason to have a team out west in the Sun Belt. I don't know about anyone else, but I've been to Las Cruces and the best thing about that city is that it's close to El Paso that's about it.

Look at WKU, they were terrible for a few years and then last year they got robbed and should've gone to a bowl with 7 wins. Plus I've read that Idaho would rather go independent then join the Belt

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I know a lot of people are against adding Idaho and NMSU, but I don't think adding them (especially NMSU) would be the worst thing in the world.  Yeah, travel is tough, but their membership would only be for football, so it would be far more manageable.  Plus, like you said, they are at least established FBS programs.  Also, NMSU killed us in 2004 when they played their only game here at Lockhart…So I'd like the chance to get revenge on them for that!   :D
Back to the top

I'd like to think that we added Markets in GAState and TxState. Now lets go get a lil quality in APPstate and GA South and tighten up the footprint.

I mean since we would be in the East anyway we would probably only have to play NMSU and Idaho once every 4 years but even thats a bit much for my taste.

My votes in for AppState and GASouth

Rick, any chance we could get a poll up?

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Are Villanova and UMass possible for football only?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

If the SBC goes to 12 for Football....

I wouldnt mind extending invitation to ga southern or app state. But if one of them doeant accept. Why dont the sbc look towards Richmond.  They have a basketball program who made the tourney last years and they were a fcs champions 3 or 4 years ago. Plus its a big market.
Back to the top

Any two of the three mentioned are top FCS programs and would make the Belt one good SOUTHERN football conference, just a tiny notch behind CUSA!
Back to the top

walty12 said

Are Villanova and UMass possible for football only?

UMASS and 'Nova are likely Big East bound for football.  I've been all over getting GA Southern and App State in the Belt if they're ready for the move.  Both have great fan bases and could compete immediately.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

i vote for app state and Georgia southern.
Back to the top

definately App State, got a lot of friends up here from App, plus close to home, get to see the owls  way more than I do now.

Back to the top
Control functions: