Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Big East Collapsing? Splitting? Now what?

I am not up on the overall meaning of what happens to the Big East now.  Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this could be a good thing for us? Bad thing for us? [shadow=red,left]Or not really affect FAU at all??[/shadow]  ???
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/08/sports/ncaabasketball/john-marinatto-resigns-as-big-east-commissioner.html

[glow=red,2,300]Anyone's thoughts on the weight of this news?[/glow]

"When Big East Commissioner John Marinatto resigned Monday, the battered league was left at another crossroads. It could either crumble or find itself a billion-dollar television deal in September.

The Big East, scheduled to have 13 Football Bowl Subdivision programs and 18 basketball universities, now has a gypsy’s soul, with Kardashian commitment issues and a future so unstable that its pool of candidates will not be filled with polished clones like Pacific-12 Commissioner Larry Scott.

Marinatto’s departure comes after less than three years, a period defined by the exits of Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia — and Texas Christian, which left for the Big 12 before ever playing a game. Marinatto was overwhelmed and exasperated by the tumult, and the difficulty of the job may be appreciated only by the next brave soul who signs up.

The former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese called it a “sad day.”

The Big East is a bit like the game Jenga, a stack of wooden blocks haphazardly arranged atop one another. The most likely piece to be removed is Louisville. It is not a matter of whether it wants to go to the Big 12 as much as if it will be invited. If the Big 12, which has 10 teams, decides to expand to 12, would it invite Cincinnati to go with Louisville?

The presidents better choose their next leader wisely. (Joe Bailey, a former Miami Dolphins chief executive is the interim commissioner.) If the Big East doesn’t make a smart choice, it could be picking up the pieces of a broken league again."
Back to the top

Re: Big East Collapsing? Splitting? Now what?

Big East Collapsing? Splitting? Now what?

Wont affect us at all for now.

THey will hold together for this year and then the dominoes will start again afterwords

Probably ECU and USM to Big East after they lose a couple

Combination of MTSU/WKU/FAU(maybe) to CUSA

SBC picks up APP/GA South/Lliberty

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

http://fauowlsnest.com/board/index.php?topic=11904.160

This same topic is being discussed in the open forum under the topic conference shake ups continue

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

And if S. Miss and UCU leave CUSA, the marquee name there becomes Tulsa? Who cares about CUSA if that is your premier school? The networks won't that is for sure!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

And if S. Miss and UCU leave CUSE, the marquee name there becomes Tulsa? Who cares about CUSA if that is your premier school? The networks won't that is for sure!

That is my thought, if the few good teams leave who wants to go there.  I was one saying that FAU going to the Big East was ridiculous, and it was when it was being discussed.  If the changes continue maybe another year or 2 in the Sunbelt then a move to the Big East isn't so crazy.  Maybe not going to CUSA could turn out to be the best thing tat happens to us in the long run.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

fauprowler said

I am not up on the overall meaning of what happens to the Big East now.  Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this could be a good thing for us? Bad thing for us?

Too soon to tell. Even if the Big East is a jumble of broken pieces, I'm not sure we're ready to be invited.

You can go the other way and say they'll take some more teams from, say, CUSA - like ECU - and will that open a spot for us in CUSA. That would be more likely. It would also rain on FIU's parade so I'm all for that.
Back to the top

fauprowler said

"When Big East Commissioner John Marinatto resigned Monday, the battered league was left at another crossroads. It could either crumble or find itself a billion-dollar television deal in September.

Smart move, IMO:

Big East picks CBS VP Aresco as commissioner
Back to the top

Maybe the Big East and the Sun Belt could combine into a mega conference. A lot of TV coverage in the areas where the Big East plays, plus a lot of money.
Back to the top

That would not be a bad idea! Guess that means it will never happen though. :-[
Back to the top

I think the new BCS playoffs have likely destroyed the Big East's football future (plus all the schools leaving, of course).  Think big east might get picked apart by the big stable conferences if they want any of the teams.  Don't think it will affect us much…unless C-USA wants to expand and doesn't want to take back any of the teams that left.
Back to the top
Control functions: