Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Board Expected to Close Port St. Lucie Campus

Add topic

FAU President Mary Jane Saunders submitted an op-ed piece Wednesday to Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers that Lisa Metcalf, a spokeswoman for the university, said is designed to "prepare people for it to be that way."

Saunders writes that FAU officials have "proposed several options that are being considered to meet a $24 million cut to the university's state funding for 2012-13. I want to offer assurance that FAU is committed to continuing its longtime relationship with the communities of the Treasure Coast as a partner in higher education, research innovation and civic engagement."

Full Story Via TC Palm
Back to the top

Re: FAU Board Expected to Close Port St. Lucie Campus

That's one down…
Back to the top

Yup and next to close down is…

Downtown Fort Lauderdale campus by June 2013

It's already been announced (by email)
Back to the top

fauprowler said

This is such a bad move.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

This is such a bad move.

They didn't have a choice but to close down some campuses with all these budget cuts that keep coming…

Pt. St. Lucie has only 247 students (less than 1 percent of overall enrollment)

Ft. Lauderdale has 569 students (2 percent of total enrollment)

Economies are collapsing in many countries… and ours isn't far behind.

:o  http://demonocracy.info/infographics/usa/us_debt/us_debt.html   :o

So, this is just the beginning.  It's hard to think of what may right this ship apart from Greece's eliminating 50% of their debt (and that's just a drop in the bucket).  When they gave all that money to the banks for the big bailout - that was a Band-aid… realistically, "they" can't keep bailing out everyone because very soon "they" will need their own bailout.
Back to the top

walty12 said

fauprowler said

This is such a bad move.

They do this or they shut the university down. We are out of options man.

I didn't realize until just recently that FAU is truly a 13,000 student school (based on Full time traditional students), so our state funding is based off of that number. Not the 29,000 we often like to refer to. Also, our state funding is for 1 campus (Boca) so running the school the way we have been has been causing us to hemmorage money.

So really when we think about it, FAU is a pretty small school.
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

walty12 said

fauprowler said

This is such a bad move.

I didn't realize until just recently that FAU is truly a 13,000 student school (based on Full time traditional students), so our state funding is based off of that number. Not the 29,000 we often like to refer to. Also, our state funding is for 1 campus (Boca) so running the school the way we have been has been causing us to hemmorage money.

^ This is very true!

They spoke about it in a board meeting with the BOT – We truly are only funded by the state for 13,000 students even though we have a current "enrollment" of 29,000.  They were talking about how we can't keep going on like this, where over half of our enrollment is ONLY part time - we don't receive ONE DIME for the part time students from the state so we are deeply impacted by the issue. 
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

walty12 said

fauprowler said

This is such a bad move.

Its not the University that I think is making a bad decision, its the cuts in the first place…how much longer does that guy have left?  24,000 applications for a school that has 13,000 students…our admission standards will be up there with Harvard soon!

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

"The Harvard of Palm Beach County"  ;D
Back to the top

FAU Board Expected to Close Port St. Lucie Campus

walty12 said

24,000 applications for a school that has 13,000 students…

For those who say it's "easy" to get into FAU: For the 2011-2012 cycle, 28,197 applications were received; 9,805 were admitted. The acceptance rate for freshmen was therefore 35%.

If you consider all applicants, including the medical school, for the Fall of 2011:

36,991 applications
13,560 admitted
37% admissions rate
43% enrolled.

You had a much better shot if you applied to start in the Summer of 2011 instead
7,530 applications
4,175 admitted
55% admissions rate
41% enrolled.

Enjoy that now. One of the plans is to increase enrollment to offset the $30M loss, so… while you can expand (a good thing) it may take a hit in other areas (like academic reputation). But hey, lights have to stay on, after all.

P.S. Harvard's admission rate is 7%  ;D
Back to the top
Control functions: