Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SMU Fires AD

Anyone think former SMU AD Steve Orsini could be the answer for the Owls?  Prior to working at SMU, he was the AD at UCF and he helped get SMU into the Big East.  Any chance there is a fit here? 
Back to the top

Re: SMU Fires AD

Even though it is kind of ironic saying this now:

With a hire like Matt Doherty?

Thanks, but no thanks.
Back to the top

LOL.  OK, so Doherty was a failure, but this section of his bio stands out to me:

Orsini's tenure at UCF was marked by growth. He oversaw major facility additions and renovations at UCF, including the completion of the Wayne Densch Sports Center and the Nicholson Fieldhouse, two of the top athletic facilities in the nation. He also initiated plans and secured financing for a new on-campus football stadium, a softball stadium complex, a rowing boathouse, and a convocation center and arena as part of a $270 million mixed-use development - all of which opened in 2007.

Orsini expanded the Knight fan base, with UCF setting all-time records in football season ticket sales and in revenues generated through ticket sales, corporate sponsorships and fundraising. He also saw UCF set attendance records for football and men's and women's basketball contests.

If I'm President Saunders, I'm on the phone with him right now.
Back to the top

If he's such an attractive prospect than why was he fired?
Back to the top

SMU Fires AD

The said

Who knows, but he's been a successful AD at 2 schools that are now both at a level we'd like to be at.  I think that's at least worth an interview.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

The said

Who knows, but he's been a successful AD at 2 schools that are now both at a level we'd like to be at.  I think that's at least worth an interview.

Agreed. Let's be honest here, were not the most attractive girl at the dance right now.
Back to the top

I have a thought. What if Doherty was fired for interviewing with us on the DL and SMU was angry at him for doing that. We just hired two big name people to run football, and the women's basketball program. That is my crazy thought?
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

I have a thought. What if Doherty was fired for interviewing with us on the DL and SMU was angry at him for doing that. We just hired two big name people to run football, and the women's basketball program. That is my crazy thought?

I assume you mean Orsini, not Doherty…and yes, that is crazy!

I would think that as SMU AD, he was making at least 2 or 3 times what FAU pays, so no, there was no way he was interviewing here on the DL.

As for the 2 recent hires, Pelini is not a big name.  He's a recognizable name because of his brother (although I think he's a coaching star in the making).  And about the WBB coach….I don't remember her name already, and I don't think there are more than 1 or 2 women's basketball coaches (Pat Summitt who is now retired…and the guy at UCONN) that I could pick out of a lineup.

Anyway, I still think giving this guy a long look would be wise.  I don't care that he was just fired.  He has a long track record of success.
Back to the top

I'd be happy if this guy ended up here. Definitely approve that idea.
Back to the top

Question is, could we afford the guy if he even has interest.  Craig was making $192,000/yr.  That's not an alluring salary for an AD.  This may also be a reason why the job is still vacant. 

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top
Control functions: