Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Question on TV Markets

A Dispute was brought up on the SunBelt Board, but does anybody really know for sure…
We know we are in the west palm market, but would we be considered (by other conference commissioners, school presidents, etc…) to also be a part of Miami/ lauderdale considering:

A) our main campus is right on the border to broward, highly a commuter school so many students living in broward going to the Boca Campus

B) we also have 3 campuses in broward as well with an additional 4,200 students attending those as well.

so do we OFFICIALLY count for West Palm & Miami/Lauderdale
or are we really ONLY west palm?
Back to the top

Re: Question on TV Markets

UF has a school in Ft. Lauderdale, they don't get to claim that market though.

As much as we want and can try to argue that we should have lauderdale I'm almost certain that WPB is our only market and it's considerably smaller that Miami.
Back to the top

I agree. UM has a strangle hold on the Miami Market. We could make a slightly larger impact in the Miami/Lauderdale market if we move up to a different conference or if we get a game broadcast on national TV like this year with FIU on ESPNU.
Back to the top

AT least the West Palm market (No. 38 nationally) is ours while UM and FIU (sort of - ha ha) have to share the Miami market.
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

UF has a school in Ft. Lauderdale, they don't get to claim that market though.

As much as we want and can try to argue that we should have lauderdale I'm almost certain that WPB is our only market and it's considerably smaller that Miami.

Our main campus is maybe 5 miles from broward.  I think UF is a different story.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Regards to all.

There are, perhaps, several ways of looking at this.  However, there are 2 designations that are clearly defined as to specifics in terms of what is A) a Metropolitan area, and what is B)  a TV Market.  They are not the same and it lends itself to some confusion.

1.  A Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) is, according to the US Office of Management and Budget, one or more adjacent counties or county equivalents that have at least one urban core area of at least 50,000 population, plus adjacent territory that has a high degree of social and economic integration with the core as measured by commuting ties.  In essence, that describes South Florida, from Miami Dade County to Palm Beach County.

Our MSA ranks #8 in the nation, and is shared by both of us.
List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. A TV Market, as designated by the acronym DMA (Designated Market Area) by Nielsen…among others….is a different thing altogether than what is viewed as "South Florida" in MSA.  It represents a market specifically designated in terms of numbers of TV Households per designated DMA.  I believe this is the benchmark that TV industries, since it directly correlates to TV Households per DMA, use for their statistics.  Here, Miami-Ft. Lauderdales is viewed as one TV market (#16), while West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce is viewed as a different TV Market (#38) .

Latest ranking of DMA's:
http://www.tvb.org/media/file/TVB_Market_Profiles_Nielsen_Household_DMA_RANKS.pdf

I guess the correct answer depends on the question.  If the question is are we located in the same broad area (MSA), then the answer is Yes.  If the question is, are we in the same TV Market, then the answer is No.

Hope that helps in the discussion.

P.S.  Your baseball team owned our team….Congrats on SBC regular season championship.

Back to the top

The West Palm market is FAU's home. It is where the Owls get a majority of their coverage. Miami-FTL is a bonus. No. 38 still ranks among the largest markets in major college sports and grows every year.

The West Palm market is larger than Birmingham, Las Vegas, Louisville, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Memphis, New Orleans, Tulsa, Honolulu, Tucson, Omaha, El Paso and many more. West Palm is comparable in size to Charlotte, Indianapolis, Baltimore, San Diego, Nashville, Hartford & New Haven, Kansas City, Columbus (Ohio), Salt Lake City, Milwaukee, Cincinnati and San Antonio.
Back to the top

I think that's a fair point, #38 is very good. Just when comparing us to FIU and the Mia market we lose out, it is how it is.

Thanks for the data FIUfinatic
Back to the top

If FAU was ever a big enough program to be followed by the average fan we are much more apt to capture the broward market than FIU…or UF for that matter.

Reason to point this out is that I dont believe conference officials can see that from a distance.  This is part of the whole "how do we sell FAU" thing.  We can potentially capture the audience of two huge TV markets…thats how we sell FAU.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Question on TV Markets

Funny that we are only officially in the WPB market for TV as we all almost exclusively only read the Ft. Lauderdale newspaper for our FAU coverage.
Back to the top
Control functions: