Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

USA soccer National Team vs Brazil tonight!

Add topic

The USMNT will face Brazil tonight at 8pm.
This is a friendly game before the team starts the qualifying journey to the 2014 world cup.

I don't know if some of you watched the US vs Scotland game, but the US is playing pretty well.
The US beat Scotland / 5 to 1.
They are pressing teams up front, the US is controlling the ball and tempo with accurate passing and 1 or 2 touches.
If you have the time; watch the game on ESPN2 and ESPN3.
Support your country.

GO OWLS and GO USA!

U.S. Soccer -- Can U.S.'s new style work against Brazil? -- Jeff Carlisle - ESPN
Back to the top

Re: USA soccer National Team vs Brazil tonight!

NîGHT said

The USMNT will face Brazil tonight at 8pm.
This is a friendly game before the team starts the qualifying journey to the 2014 world cup.

I don't know if some of you watched the US vs Scotland game, but the US is playing pretty well.
The US beat Scotland / 5 to 1.
They are pressing teams up front, the US is controlling the ball and tempo with accurate passing and 1 or 2 touches.
If you have the time; watch the game on ESPN2 and ESPN3.
Support your country.

GO OWLS and GO USA!

U.S. Soccer -- Can U.S.'s new style work against Brazil? -- Jeff Carlisle - ESPN

Was beating Scotland considered an upset? 5 goals in Soccer (Football) is a lot! Who's the best player on USA? Donovan or Altidore? I watch the world cup when it's on every 4 years and I know the US got cheated.

I'm going to try and watch tonight. Maybe in between periods of the hockey game

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

how good can they really be, they didn't even qualify for the Olympics.

:o
Back to the top

NCowl said

Which is why they have a new coach who is implementing a new style of play

Back to the top

NCowl said

That's the U-23 team.  FIFA and the Olympics agreed that in order to avoid conflict of interest with the World Cup, and the European Championship (which is the same year as the Olympics) that each nation can only submit their U-23s.  That being said, many of the Americans starters are busy playing for their clubs in Europe, and couldn't take the time off as their leagues did not have "breaks" in the scheduling to allow the U-23s to play for their country.
That being said, the Olympics don't mean a single thing in the soccer world.  It's a nice thing to win, but won't not something you'd go parading throughout the streets about.
And if that's the mentality we're going to have, with the "how good can we be if we didn't qualify for the Olympics" then I guys it's safe to say that France sucks even more that we do as they didn't even win a single match in the last WC in South Africa.  Or that the Boston Red Sox had a terrible team last year as they failed to make the playoffs.  WKU must be horrid, because they didn't make a bowl game.  How good can those teams be anyways?  Bad things happen t good teams, so don't be so quick to judge.  Especially if it has to do with your own country.
Being a big USMNT fan, I follow the team passionately.  I have tickets for the game here in Tampa as we start the WCQ.  Seeing that Scotland game (not an upset, but more of a statement) I'm very excited to see what the new coaching staff can do tonight against mega-powerhouse Brazil.  Being so close in the Confed Cup in '09, I can only hope for the best tonight.

Go USA!!!
Back to the top

I am very Pro USA, maybe more bandwagon jumper when the olympics or world cup rolls around, but I do like to watch. Not as familiar with the inner workings when those events are not in session. I was not aware of the age difference in world cup vs olympics and that no one cares about olympic soccer, how can it be the best competing in all the countries when that isn't really the case, same reason NBA started allowing players. Oh well, not my say.

As for dogging out my statement, I was saying it in joking in hope someone would explain, and you did so in so many words, thank you kind sir!

USA!!!!
Back to the top

NCowl said

how can it be the best competing in all the countries when that isn't really the case, same reason NBA started allowing players.

I actually would prefer seeing college kids playing these sports. I think it's more exciting when some of the best college players in the country can come together and win gold. My opinion is it means more.

If Team USA had a bunch of NHLers in the 1980 team and we beat Russia, it would still be an accomplishment, but surely wouldn't be one of the greatest upsets in the history of sports. I don't know if Al Michaels would be yelling Do You Believe in Miracles? YES!!! If team USA was full of NHL players.

I get that every other country does it, I just liked it better when it was amateurs

Back to the top

You make a fine point Jab, but as Hootin mentioned, not even our best amateurs could make it to the trials for Team USA so we were playing sub par athletes, and such a worldly sport as soccer, you can not face some of those top soccer nations with sub-par amateur athletes, not even a miracle could help them.

1980 Hockey will always go down in history as one of the greatest moments in sports, so fine point indeed!
Back to the top

It's nice to see some comments.
Like HootinHollerin said; the U-23 shares few players with the MNT (Men National Team).
It might not mean much if they win in the Olympics, but this gives exposure to the U-23 players and more experience at the highest level when transitioning to the MNT.
Winning against Scotland was more of a statement. It means the new system is taking place and the players looked very comfortable; however, the US beat Italy 2 months ago 1-0 in Italy showing a new style of play.
The college system is interesting but JK (Jurgen Klinsman) USNT coach does not like it too much because the training intensity is too low compared to the teams academies, the Nike and Adidas development programs.
I don't know if you knew but the FTL strikers drafted an owl this year. FAU plays in the MAC, one of the toughest conferences in division 1.

Back to the top

USA soccer National Team vs Brazil tonight!

NCOwl, that's a great point. Even with these amateurs you're right they still have to qualify for the Olympics so as far as soccer goes you're right. Going against some of these guys who are considered to be the greatest in the world like Messi, Ronaldo or Kaka (who we'll see tonight right?), might be tough for a 19 year old kid

Back to the top
Control functions: