Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Schnellenberger Still Touting 64 Team NCAA Football Playoff

Schnellenberger is on the soap box again touting his 64 team playoff system in a good read out today from Rick Bozich at Louisville's WDRB.com:

"Thirty-two teams would be finished by the first weekend in December and sixteen more a week later."

"Instead of all the dead time and irrelevant bowl games you have in early December you'd have games people would care about. In the system they're talking about, teams that are not in the right conferences are going to wither on the vine and die. This is a plan for the common man."

"There are at least 16 completely ridiculous games," Schnellenberger  said. "Nobody cares who wins or loses."

Schnellenberger not happy with college football changes

Back to the top

Re: Schnellenberger Still Touting 64 Team NCAA Football Playoff

And of course he is right! And for the common man (FAU obviously) also includes the ACC and even the Big East not to mention the usual outsiders from CUSA, Mt. West, MAC. I already don't care about the NFL (or any pro sport for that matter) and collegiate football and it's unbridled greed is going the same route!
Go get'em Coach!
Back to the top

Schnelly is a genius and a visonianrry!  The idea of 64 teams is great.  I hope something comes of this Down the road.

It's Owl Time!
Back to the top

Schnellenberger Still Touting 64 Team NCAA Football Playoff

PowerOwl said

Schnelly is a genius and a visonianrry!  The idea of 64 teams is great.  I hope something comes of this Down the road.

Regular season 12 games + conference championship game + tournament games 5 = would mean an 18 game season.

That is ridiculous for college players. And the season would drag on forever.

This would be horrible for the sport. It would also mean half of the teams make the tournament and kills the value of the regular season that makes college football special.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

NJOWL said

Regular season 12 games + conference championship game + tournament games 5 = would mean an 18 game season.

That is ridiculous for college players. And the season would drag on forever.

This would be horrible for the sport. It would also mean half of the teams make the tournament and kills the value of the regular season that makes college football special.

LOL, I have to agree.

FCS uses 20 teams, D2 uses 16 teams,  D3 uses 32.

A 64 team playoff For Division 1 is a ridiculous notion.

A 16 team playoff system would be great, but realistically,  4 teams is what it's looking like in the very near future.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

ALL conference champions (Con. Champ. games would serve as round 1) plus 4 or 5 at large teams to get 16 teams is by far the fairest way to me. And the bone to the little guys would be conf. champs always get home field over at large. So you pull off a couple of upsets you might get a home game vs. a BigBoy.

I know - NEVER happen without congress involved (ANY OF IT)!
Back to the top
Control functions: