Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Best Stadiums in SBC

List the best stadiums in the SBC.  I'm includding UNT and FIU & the new boys, USA, GSU, and TSU.  Finally a list that FAU can top!

FAU
UNT
WKU
UL
ASU
TSU
USA
Troy
MTSU
FIU
ULM
GSU

What do y'all think?
Back to the top

Re: Best Stadiums in SBC

I LOVE OUR HOME but Ga. St. in the Ga. Dome may be the best as in best and biggest facility. Never pull more than 30K in there though which in a Dome in not great for atmosphere (well better than UAB in Legion Field).
I could not beleive something I saw I think on a rivals site that they rated Troy and the FIU #1 & 2 in Belt Stadiums. Troy is not bad but stinkin crappy FIU stadium?  Over FAU and NT? Wow!
Back to the top

Best Stadiums in SBC

It just comes to show what jokes these big name media outlets can be when it comes to the Sun Belt.  I'm not trusting ESPN's and Rival's opinions on the SBC (if they ever have one).  I'll be shocked if they could name just half the head coaches, cities, colors, or even mascots of half the teams in the SBC.
Back to the top

True, but pretty soon you will be able to name more Belt Coaches (Mahlzon, Pelini, Curry, Franchione,...) than CUSA Coaches (?)
Back to the top

FIU 10th!

LOL!

For now…soon they won't be a part of the consideration…….
Back to the top

I don't know about ranking them numerically but I'll toss out a few thoughts.

First, here's a good link to compare the usual suspects, not counting the new guys. It says ULL's home stadium is known as The Swamp.

Georgia State wins by default because they have an NFL facility in the Georgia Dome.

UNT fans think they have the best one and make fun of ours because it's steel vs their concrete. Whatever. I'm not going to get into that, but I do like ours better than theirs, and we definitely have a better stadium than FIU until FIU expands theirs to 45,000, which they'll probably accomplish before we will.

I like WKU's stadium, especially with the visible WKU painted water tower. Ted also made it sound really nice, the climate and the tailgating. I'd rather attend a WKU basketball game than a football game.

I also really like ASU's grass berm where the Greeks put out their letters.

Texas State's stadium looks nice and has a ton of potential.

The rest don't do much for me.
Back to the top

I believe FIU's current expansion will bring capacity to ~28-29k. Not absolutely sure though.
I like the fact that the FAU stadium has grass instead of turf.
We'll see. If Pellini can turn things around fast enough, we could be looking to fill those two empty corners with seats in the not too distant future.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

I believe FIU's current expansion will bring capacity to ~28-29k. Not absolutely sure though.

According to this FIU student paper article they're completing the bowl and this will increase seating capacity to 25,000.

I thought I read something about them incorporating a Student Services building into the stadium that would help to fund the expansion to 45,000 seats. Thought that was more imminent. Now I'm reading that will eventually happen but it will just include a fieldhouse expansion, a restaurant and they want to do a "Main Street FIU" thing that sounds like what UCF/FAU are doing with restaurants and whatnot.
Back to the top

I've never seen the future renderings for FIU.  I have an account over on their board and their guys can't even find one.  I have seen a lay out of their future plaza.  It's nice, but no Knights Plaza/Innovation Village
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

I don't know about ranking them numerically but I'll toss out a few thoughts.

First, here's a good link to compare the usual suspects, not counting the new guys. It says ULL's home stadium is known as The Swamp.

Georgia State wins by default because they have an NFL facility in the Georgia Dome.

UNT fans think they have the best one and make fun of ours because it's steel vs their concrete. Whatever. I'm not going to get into that, but I do like ours better than theirs, and we definitely have a better stadium than FIU until FIU expands theirs to 45,000, which they'll probably accomplish before we will.

I like WKU's stadium, especially with the visible WKU painted water tower. Ted also made it sound really nice, the climate and the tailgating. I'd rather attend a WKU basketball game than a football game.

I also really like ASU's grass berm where the Greeks put out their letters.

Texas State's stadium looks nice and has a ton of potential.

The rest don't do much for me.

I don't like Georgia State being in the dome up there.  It's like watching USF at RayJay, only uglier and smaller crowd.  Think of FAU when we were at Dolphin's Stadium with a roof.. that looks horrid!  UNT's is very nice, but far from campus and all of the parking/tailgating.  Again, I love WKU's and everything that they're doing up there.  I agree with ASU and the berns, but I know UL does that too.  When it comes to Texas State, they've just started on adding on to their stadium, creating a horseshoe.  The "open" part of their stadium is a gorgeous sports complex that houses their locker rooms and such, very similar to ASU's.  Check it out:
The Official Athletic Website of the Texas State
Back to the top
Control functions: