Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Making progress toward a 4-team BCS Playoff starting in 2014

Add topic

From ESPN.

There are still plenty of details to be hammered out, but at least one BCS conference commissioner believes he and his colleagues can reach a compromise on the model for a four-team playoff to determine college football's national championship – possibly as soon as this week.

ACC Commissioner John Swofford said the ACC preferred to play the semifinals at existing BCS bowl games, which seems to be the growing consensus among commissioners. Commissioners have all but decided to offer the BCS National Championship Game to the highest bidding city.

"Our preference is that the semifinals be incorporated into the bowl system, which seems to be in good shape," Swofford said. "We're comfortable with the championship game being bid out."

SEC commissioner Mike Slive has repeatedly said he wants the top four teams selected, regardless if they won their conference championships.

But Swofford, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott and acting Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas have said they preferred giving at least some preferential treatment to teams that win their leagues.

One proposal on the table would involve having a selection committee choose the four teams, while taking into consideration certain criteria – such as winning a conference and strength of schedule – while selecting and seeding the teams.

"I think winning a conference championship should matter," Swofford said. "It doesn't have to be the end-all, be-all, but I think it should matter. It keeps the focus on winning a conference championship during the regular season."

============================================================
================

So… the top four ranked teams of the four conference champions? Think FAU can make that cut?  :-\
Back to the top

Re: Making progress toward a 4-team BCS Playoff

In related news,

Former Florida State coach Bobby Bowden would like to be on a BCS committee that selects national championship playoff participants.

"I would be willing to serve on it," Bowden said Tuesday. "I think ex-coaches have a lot of wisdom. I watch the games. And I watch the game films on my iPad."

Bowden is a voting member of the Legends Poll, which for seven years has asked legendary ex-coaches to watch game footage from across the country, participate in conference call discussions and vote.
Back to the top

Re: Making progress toward a 4-team BCS Playoff starting in 2014

Bowden on the iPad!

;D

Can't keep a good man down! Go Bobby!

On a side note:

Me thinks Schnelly might be perplexed by this type of task presently…….
Back to the top

Back to the top

so 2014 we overload our OOC schedule with the toughest teams, beat them all, go undefeated and there is a slight chance we could get in this thing right?

::)
Back to the top

So pretty much it's going to be the top 3 SEC teams and Boise State every year? lol

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

i don't even think Boise will get the nod, unless they pull off some stellar wins against some big teams that won't schedule them!
Back to the top

What do the have not's (Belt/FAU) get out of this new deal?

Is the revenue sharing going to be more equitable than the existing crappy BCS model? As University Presidents voted on this new deal, those representing the have-nots HAD BETTER of done a better job of sticking together than in the past.

Surely all the non AQ conference representatives could have banded together like cement and held out for a fairer deal this time - that or no deal at all - especially for 12 years!
Back to the top

Making progress toward a 4-team BCS Playoff starting in 2014

GeorgiaOwl said

What do the have not's (Belt/FAU) get out of this new deal?

"The teams will be selected by a committee, similar to the way the NCAA basketball tournament field is set."
"Among the factors the committee will consider are won-loss record, strength of schedule, head-to-head results and whether a team is a conference champion."

Doubt much. As long as we're in the SBC they're going to ding us for strength of schedule every time, even if we go 12-0. This new deal just gives the illusion that we COULD be picked, which makes things appear "fair."

"Automatically qualified status is gone"
"''What the system now is, several semifinals, championship game and some access bowls. By creating a couple of access bowls, people will be able to play high-quality opponents in big venues with big brands,'' Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany said."

I'm curious what this "couple of access bowls" means. I assume he's referring to the kind of bowl games we play in? I wonder if all those bowls - which some people say are getting out of hand - will still exist with these changes to the post-season, or if it's just a change to the NC system.
Back to the top

NCowl said

i don't even think Boise will get the nod, unless they pull off some stellar wins against some big teams

you mean like they do every year?

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top
Control functions: